Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Justice League Detroit Appreciation

DC Forum Appreciation Thread rules:

1) No negative comments about the honoree of this thread. It's an appreciation thread, not a non-appreciation one.

2) No negative discussion about any competitors of the honoree of this thread (i.e. John Stewart in the Hal Jordan thread). No ifs, ands, or buts. Find another non-appreciation thread to do that, just not here.

3) No negative comments about other versions of the character. For example, if you like the DCU version of Cyborg, but hate the DCnU version (or visa versa), just appreciate the earlier version and keep your comments about the latter to yourself.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

jla-annual3.jpg

Justice_League_Detroit_003.jpg

I expect this thread to be as dead as most of the JLA Detroit Heroes...

Hurts to say it but I started reading Comics when this version of JLA came about. It's a wonder I stuck around...Maybe I should rename it the JL: Detroit Disdain thread. Thankfully, they lasted a whopping 2.5 years...WOW, was it that long? Oi!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I actually liked quite a lot the Justice League Detroit, not for what they were, but for the potential the idea had. A full time League, training and living together and always on call to deal with the biggest threats. However the idea was a bust when they tried to make The World's Greatest Super- Heroes into a poor copy of the Teen Titans. Seriously, you're gonna replace Superman with a poor man's Cyborg Steel. Green lantern with Vibe? Black Canary with Gypsy? Come on.
    I always thought that if they attempted to replace the original 7 with mature and experienced analogues, this team would have been awsome.

Aquaman - Aquaman, of course.
    Martian Manhunter - Martian Manhunter and the perfect replacement to Superman. A twofer.
    Superman - Martian Manhunter. See Above.
    Flash - Vixen with her animal powers could make a fair replacement for the Flash, though not in the same power class. However, she could do things he couldn't.
    Green Lantern - Captain Comet would be the perfect replacement for the space faring hero, plus he had worked with the League before, and was extra muscle and telepathy. Plus, cap ccould have offered the team a new headquarters in the form of one of the defunct Citadels of the secret Society of Super-Villains in San Francisco.
    Batman - Mr Miracle, who had recently worked with the League.
    Wonder Woman - Big Barda would be perfect as the warrior woman of the team.
    Zee and Elongated Man would just be bonus.
    So, there you have it, with a membership of adult and experienced heroes Aquaman, Martian Manhunter, Vixen, Zatana, Captain Comet, Elongated Man, Mr. Miracle and Big Barda, headquartered in San Francisco, this team would be no joke, and might have actually succeded in replacing the original JLA.
    That said, still have a soft spot for JL Detroit in my heart.

Peace.

I just love to bash them because DC really thought these guys could replace JLA because they were young and hip! *Sound Familiar*?

ever notice that almost all of that line up died at one point or another and a few are still dead?!?!?!

I had a good time reading this incarnation! Loved Steel and Vixen.

On a good point, this was the incarnation that brought J'onn J'onzz back into prominence n the DCU. After this, J'onn became the soul of the League, at least untill he lost his spot in the New 52.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    On a good point, this was the incarnation that brought J'onn J'onzz back into prominence n the DCU. After this, J'onn became the soul of the League, at least untill he lost his spot in the New 52.

Peace
    And the Overmaster who was reimaged into Gog in JSA. At least I feel he was.

This was my entry to the Justice League. I just picked up the first four intro issues with the credit from comixology after the app switched over. They hold up ok, not great but I liked how they were kind of a mess starting out.

I liked the team.
    But Aquaman wasn't a big enough pull and Batman came in too late.

I loved Gypsy's return in JLI years later.
    And Vixen was probably the best of the bunch. Of course, she was the only one of the new four who was a prior DC character.
    In that essence, she was prime to become JLA's Wolverine. But it never happened.
    However, she has maintained a very well profile in comics since then to where she could be considered a higher tier character than she was in the '80s.

She has surpassed Vibe, Steel and Gypsy and is probably more at the same level as Elongated Man, Red Tornado, Firestorm and Zatanna as far as JLA status goes.

Spectacular Member Tula's boyfriend's Avatar

I loved the Justice League Detroit. I would love to see a new team of Vibe, Gypsy, Vixen, Steel (John Irons), and the addition of Firestorm and a magic character. I would love to have Aquaman and Mera on the team, but I think it should have a new leader...maybe Elongated Man.

I am putting together a Zatanna reading list. Are there any notable issues or story arcs centered around her in this series?

Yay! Justice League Detroit! I loved it when it first came out. It was never as good as I thought it was, but it was still entertaining comic book fare. And it was pretty much my first exposure to J'onn J'onzz, despite the fact that I had been reading comics for ten years at that point.

I especially love the Amazo storyline. George Tuska art!
    My, my! One does peculiar things when one is a gorilla!

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I am putting together a Zatanna reading list. Are there any notable issues or story arcs centered around her in this series?

Issues 255-257 focused on Zatanna.

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    I just love to bash them because DC really thought these guys could replace JLA because they were young and hip! *Sound Familiar*?

ever notice that almost all of that line up died at one point or another and a few are still dead?!?!?!
    Ralph is but I think everyone else is back if only on Earth 2.

Incredible Member

Going to be honest, I loved this era of The Justice League. I thought it was awesome that Aquaman was the leader. I really wish it would have taken off. I really liked the idea of adding new or not as well known heroes of that era.

There was a line in JLA when Vixen took over the team from Black Canary, about the team being the worst since Detroit. I found it odd given Vixen and Zee were there and on both teams.

JLD faulted when the lineup got small. There was just no draw on the team.

They were supposed to be 2nd teen titans of X-men but it never clicked.

JLD and JLI are proof positive you need a draw.