Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Spectacular Member Tula's boyfriend's Avatar

and don't forget Dale and Sue, they were as much as team members too...glad we got Dale back. Just need Ralph and Sue back.

Quote Originally Posted by Tula's boyfriend View Post
    and don't forget Dale and Sue, they were as much as team members too...glad we got Dale back. Just need Ralph and Sue back.
    Dale Gunn was, IMHO, one of the best supporting characters ever created. O live Sue, of course, but, IMHO, she got to shine brighter in the JLE era.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Dale Gunn was, IMHO, one of the best supporting characters ever created. O live Sue, of course, but, IMHO, she got to shine brighter in the JLE era.

Peace
    I did like some Dale...Added some Class to that joint...

Quote Originally Posted by Tula's boyfriend View Post
    Would Love Ralph and a sane Sue...

Well wha'chu know, it's 1984!

The debut of...

and....

She said- "Picture the JLA doing something like this?" No, I couldn't it wasn't so much the breakin' or even his ridiculous outfit or name, but the way they made him talk.

I don't know how far into the run they changed it, but I didn't stick around to find out.

As a kid at the time, hoping to one day see a strong positive Latino character standing shoulder to shoulder with the JLA , this is what we got, a character with every cliche in the book attached to him, was pretty disheartening.(What's sad is they still got no one in JL.)

Apparently as the title went on, the team (through Vibe) begins to voice the opinion of the readership and refer tho themselves as "losers". And the joke JL whose villains are even losers.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-8nG_HyZhhD...r%25252011.jpg

They are finally given some champion moment when they defeat vintage JLA foe Despero.
    Although it's all to late as they are soon killed off.
    If that story arc is collected, and if anyone recommends it? I do kind of want to read it now.
    Last edited by Güicho; 08-12-2015 at 05:52 PM.

Also it's funny in that page linked above Vibe refers to Steel as a second rate tin-woodsman.
    Don't know how intentional it was, but seeing the 4 together I could never get out of my mind they were the displaced cast of OZ.

Steel = Tin-man
    Gypsy = Dorthy
    Vibe = Dancing Scarecrow
    Vixen = Lion(ess)

I could never see them as anything but that. And you can't unsee it

Even further, Zatanna was the good witch guiding them towards the displaced illusory all knowing Emerald man - Martian Manhunter.
    Plus the whole Detroit / Motown/Wiz parallel, like this was the "street" version of the cast of OZ

On the other hand JLU gave them a nice nod...
    jlu detroit.jpeg

Haven't seen the episode though, so I can't tell are they running towards their death? LOL
    Last edited by Güicho; 08-12-2018 at 01:16 PM.

Vibe, ...I mean Cisco Ramon has been getting a decent push in the Flah TV series.
    He's kind of the annoying adorkable geek tec. guy, who gets to design and give things their comicbooky name, look and feel.

Will he ever become the now dimension breaching Vibe?
    Hopefully, and if the show has a long life, it could eventually become the vehicle to introduce Gypsy and Vixen to the live action universe.
    For tin-man Steel I'd rather see John Henry Irons version show up.

Maybe as Harrison Wells turns on S.T.A.R labs, Dale Gunn can show up putting together A.R.G.U.S.
    Last edited by Güicho; 02-17-2015 at 10:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post

They are finally given some champion moment when they defeat vintage JLA foe Despero.
    Although it's all to late as they are soon killed off.
    If that story arc is collected, and if anyone recommends it? I do kind of want to read it now.
    Honestly, I'm a big fan of the JLD, more for what they potentially could have been than from what they actually were. My biggest peev was that they actually never gost to beat anyone baased purely on power and competence. The team's biggest gun, J'onn J'onzz never could really show what he could do, as to not shadow the new members (what was the point of Steel as a strongsman, when JJ was actually MUCH stronger than he was, plus all his other powers). Zatana also had to be taken out of the picture as to not ofuscate anyone. And so you had the team going against one of the classic JLA foes (in a, IMHO, great revamp of the character) without one of their two biggest guns, just to constanly get their asses whupped and save the day almost entirely by accident in a unimpresively stray shot of Vibe's vibrational powers. (Say what you will, but New 52 Vibe certainly is more impressive than classic Vibe). I really doubt they'll collect this anyday, however, do I recommend it? As with much of the JLD, a lot of potential, but, sadly, unrealized.

Peace

I really doubt they'll collect this anyday, however, do I recommend it? As with much of the JLD, a lot of potential, but, sadly, unrealized.
    Peace
    From what I remember JLA Incarnation revisited that event, was it faithful to it, or a more positive reinvention?

Honestly, I'm a big fan of the JLD, more for what they potentially could have been than from what they actually were. My biggest peev was that they actually never gost to beat anyone baased purely on power and competence.
    Have they had a chance to appear as a team post NU52?
    Anywhere?
    I know Vibe & Gypsy teamed in JLA but don't know how that ended? Did either of them survive? Has a NU52 Vixen ever joined them? Or an incarnation of Steel?
    Last edited by Güicho; 10-20-2014 at 06:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    From what I remember JLA Incarnation revisited that event, was it faithful to it, or a more positive reinvention?
    Incarnation is, IMHO, one of the best and most underated Justice League stories ever. It managed to retell so much of the JLA story fractured by so many reboots and retcons, actually improving and giving sense to a lot of it. Val Semiks is a competent penciler, at best, and he did excelent work in this book, but it could have benefited with an artist with super-star power. My favorite instalment was #4, in which the original JLA disbands to leave just the four that, alongside the four new members, would go on to found the Detroit League. The instalment of the JLD, to my recollection, doesn't deal with the League's battle against Despero, just their participation in the Crises event. It waas aan okay story.

Have they had a chance to appear as a team post NU52?
    Anywhere?
    I know Vibe & Gypsy teamed in JLA but don't know how that ended? Did either of them survive? Has a NU52 Vixen ever joined them? Or an incarnation of Steel?
    To my knowledge, no, they haven't been shown as a team, although the Vibe short-lived series paid a lot of homage to that era. Vibe, Gypsy, Dale Gunn, and so one. I don't think Vixen has crossed paths with them, and, as far as I know, the only place the Heywood familiy's Steel exist is in Earth 2 (and he is quite different there).

Peace

I know I jest in them and how most of them died at one point, but I grew up with this team. The part I really dislike is the cheese. Vibe was a cheesy character and it just seemed forced to me. Ok characters but not a JLA team. Sure it had big guns but it was filled with people that were thrown in so they could die.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

On a good point, this was the incarnation that brought J'onn J'onzz back into prominence n the DCU.
    That was the best result from the Detroit years, IMO.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

I started reading comics in the late 80's. My comic shop had a color poster of Crisis with Superman holding the dead Supergirl. Between his legs I could see Gypsy's patchwork skirt and (at my young age) was intrigued. What "superhero" wore a skirt.

I soon found the cover of JLD with Gypsy being shot. I bought it and started reading many back issues. I think the art was a big let down to the book though.

Ironically as I was familiarizing myself with this team Gypsy featured in Justice League International when Despero wiped out her family. I LOVED that issue. One of my all time faves.

Gypsy has had a few attempts at resurgence, with Conglomerate, Task Force, Birds of Prey and most recently in Vibes series. I don't think she has ever been handled too well. With the right writer behind her, and some training, she could be as skilled as Black Canary.

She has appeared briefly in the recent Multiversity books. Lets see what happens with her there.

CONVERGENCE: JUSTICE LEAGUE AMERICA
    Writer: Fabian Nicieza
    Artist: ChrisCross
    Colorist: Snakebite Cortez
    With their heavy hitters sidelined, Elongated Man must lead the much-maligned “Detroit Justice League” against the overwhelming power of the heroes from the Tangent Universe!

CONVERGENCE: JUSTICE LEAGUE AMERICA #2
    Written by FABIAN NICIEZA
    Art and cover by CHRISCROSS
    Variant cover designed by CHIP KIDD
    On sale MAY 20 • 40 pg, FC, 2 of 2, $3.99 US • RATED T
    STARRING HEROES FROM CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS! Witness the final stand of the Detroit Justice League as they fight to survive against the Tangent Universe!
    Last edited by Güicho; 02-16-2015 at 08:57 PM.

Ultimate Member

I loved the *idea* of the, at the time, underused Martian Manhunter as the 'big gun' of a Justice League team. No longer in the shadow of Superman, he could really shine.

I also loved the idea of Aquaman, kind of the least popular of the founding Leaguers (apart from Manhunter), as the representative of the 'classic' League.

Steel and Vixen both were pretty awesome characters, that I really wanted to see more of.

Vibe seemed a little too specific to his time period to be able to comfortably advance. (Then again, disco Dazzler has somehow managed to cling to life, over at that other company. And Rictor, a latino vibration-powered mutant, seems to have gotten past his parachute pants-and-boombox days...)

Gypsy. Eh. As someone who grew up hearing 'gypsy' used as a slur against my mom, I wasn't a fan of the name or the stereotyping. I don't blame the *character* for that, 'though.

Zatanna and Ralph ended up being two more Satellite Era League representatives, without necessarily being part of the 'big seven.' (Spots that could as easily have been filled by Firestorm, Red Tornado, Green Arrow, Black Canary, Hawkwoman, etc.)

Somehow it just didn't seem to come together, which may have contributed to Martian Manhunter and Aquaman being thrown back into the back row for awhile, as if no League could possibly ever work without Batman, Superman and / or Wonder Woman...
    Last edited by Sutekh; 02-17-2015 at 06:02 AM.