Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Anyone like Udon Street Fighter?

I read it and it was enjoyable, i love the art even if I'm not expecting any Grant Morrison, Hickman, Al Ewing quality writing. I think it did a good job creating a mix of both the game canon and their own. To be honest, the story is way better than how the story mode was in most Capcom fighting games especially SF 5.

I love how they one of the only comic companies with the stones to published every year a Swimsuit Issue since 2016. Damnit, Marvel I been waiting for a revival of that since it ended in 95.

Udon handles the Street Fighter storyline better than Capcom ever has. They try to work in as many weird facts and odd retcons as capcom has created and turn them into something fun and coherent. You can tell there are a few times when CAPCOM's plotlines got in the way of actual good story and characters, but it's amazing how well they've made it work.

I do wish their Darkstalkers book had run longer, but the Street Fighter vs Darkstalkers was pretty good. The G.I. Joe vs Street Fighter stuff was fun too. I never expected any callbacks to that, much less a full miniseries.

Their SF is fine, though it gets rather awkward with the "hey, we're referencing the future right now" moments, like when Cody shows up in the SF2 story.

Can't say they do a good job with the Darkstalkers side though, specially with the way they handle Morrigan, where her personality is just "Demitri, but as a woman", which's not only completely inaccurate to how she's supposed to be like, it's rather redundant when Demitri is around too, and SF vs Darkstalkers was just boring for both sides as well, and then there's that Rikuo vs Laura story, what the **** was that? Did they publish someone's fanfiction?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

OMG! Been a fan of UDON ever since their days with Marvel Comics!! Still love Sakura from UDON (XD)

Astonishing Member

The artwork been consistently good as well which enhances the story. Udon also has success with releasing art books and extras. Honestly I was into Street Fighter since 1992 and been playing consistently despite not being good enough to compete outside just my friends.

Spectacular Member SavageJudgeDredd's Avatar

Absolutely, cool stuff. Always been meaning to read more of it. Nostalgia and quality for sure.

If they happened to have a Fatal Fury / KoF license, that would be rad too.

I really like the Udon series.... but I also hate it for reminding me how much of a pain in the @$$ Gill was back in SFIII/2nd Impact/3rd Strike. F that guy.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I wish that Capcom would let them handle the story for the games. UDON did work for Capcom's games like Capcom Fighting Jam, SF2 HD remix and some of the arcade ending for SF5.

Astonishing Member

I remember playing through Street Fighter 5 individual character story mode, not only you have rushed artwork by Bengus(a favorite of many including us) but some of the story elements don't make sense, like a whole story mode where Lucia is making instant noodles until Mike Haggar send her on some errands and the end, she's pissed that her noodles are ruined after returning. I mean, how make a big deal about instant ramen that cost a dollar or 2. She could probably get some decent noodles from a restaurant or make another instant noodle that won't take long.

Fantastic Member MarkRodriguez09's Avatar

I love those comics. The art is pretty cool and is usually close to the official game character art. The stories try to keep as close to the games as possible, and even if they add new facts they do it in a way that wouldn't seem too outlandish for the characters. They're also good at keeping up with things as new games or updates come out.

Can't wait til next year, they're bound to make Street Fighter 6 related things.
    Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
    I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/

I think I've only read the earliest volumes and I remember I enjoyed it a lot. Alvin Lee's art was great.

Fantastic Member MarkRodriguez09's Avatar

I also enjoyed Street Fighter Unlimited. I wonder how long that one went for cause I lost track after issue 4 or so. It was like a clever transition into the end of Street Fighter 4 leading into the events of Street Fighter 3. I'm curious how it went down since it started before SF5 and as we know. SF5 would take place between SF4 and SF3.
    Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
    I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/

Extraordinary Member

Yeah really liked the series. Dark stalkers too.

UDON totally has a better grasp of the characters than Capcom does IMO. One of my favorite stories was Dan confronting Sagat. This is post SF2 Sagat so he actually apologizes and offers his life to him. And Dan just flat out tells him it would be meaningless because it wouldn't bring his father back.

I REALLY hope they're doing something with Street Fighter 6

Astonishing Member

Anyone read their latest Chun-li book that came out a couple of weeks ago.