Page 18 of 36 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Who says that they didn't???

Folks need to get over books needing to do 100K or always be top 50.
    Er DC said they didn't. You know the people who put up the capital to fund the title.

Folks need to understand that they do not speak for multimedia's nor do they know the shelving habiting of every store that sells comics stock their shelves

What are you even doing bro? Yes not every title needs to sell 100K but unless you are DC doesn't pretend to know what is a satisfactory celling for the company.

It comes from the fact the majority of the books he get dumped in are dumpster fires. Nobody to a very few have ANYTHING nice to say about those books. Books that somehow lasted too long because of hate buying.
    Books that nobody bothered with the trades of depending on where you live.
    Tim doesn't get dumped in dumpster fires. That is an outright lie.
    Tec is a Dumpster fire?
    Batman beyond is a Dumpster fire?
    YJ is a Dumpster fire?
    Nightwing is a Dumpster fire?
    TT is a dumpster fire?
    RR was a Dumpster fire?

Are you for real or are you just trolling?

Tim had one bad TT run which was then followed by two good ones and that = most books he is in are dumpster fires?

heck right at this very moment fans are singing the praises of his current Titans series.

The problem is that some fans are unreasonable and entitled. They expect the world of comics to revolve around their needs and fail to look at the big picture.

They are also prone to hyperbole and exaggeration. Believing they are being victimised when infact they are enjoying privileges that most fans would kill for.

No Tim Drake fan can say with a straight face that he is marginalised or ignored. You can say that as the Batfamily got bigger and the Robin mantle was passed on he became less visible for a short period because he no longer made occasional appearances next to batman.

That is true[to an extent] and that has been the case for every Robin since Dick [the only exception is Damian who even while Robin was kept far away from Batman since the new52 replaced by Tim and Duke]

Tim isn't as popular as he once was but he isn't ignored. DC ahs tried several times to reinvent him. Giving him chance after chance. How many chances has Duke Thomas had?

How many times has DC tried to make Duke work after many fails?
    How many characters have been limboed just so that Duke might get their title and their mantle?

Go tell a Duke, Cass or Jason fan that DC is ignoring Tim and get checked on your privileges.

Go tell a Dick or Damian fan the dc always puts Tim in dumpster fire books and watch them tell you about Ric or Damian 'suicide bomber' Al Ghul.

Tim isn't as popular doesn't mean he is been ignored.

Tim has one bad TT run doesn't mean he get's put on dumpster fire titles. It means he had a bad run, every character has one.
    As I just showed you that he gets put on some of the most known titles and IP's.
    Even if this current series bombs, I doubt DC will stop investing in Tim Drake anytime soon.
    Last edited by dietrich; 09-30-2022 at 08:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    To be fair, I've understood Dick as Robin has many solo adventure in Star Spangled Comics.

Dick couldn't have a Robin solo, because it wasn't so common to call the books as a character at that time (and the Batman brand wasn't SO strong either).
    That shouldn't take away from how many issues Tim was able to hold his own for.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Doesn't matter since UL is an anthology featuring various characters so the sales can't be attributed to just one community or character. The example we should be looking at is Tim's Pride Special.

Can you quit using terms like gaybie and slashfic?

I get what you mean about the tone of Megan's work but since she is being paid by DC it's unfair to call her work slashfic.
    Oh I'm sorry. Yeah you got me on the slashfic thing but for the other term I was using it ironically and not seriously hence the quote marks to refer to how Fitzmartin referred to Tim and Bernard as "muh babies" like people on tiktok who like boys love. Again I apologize for coming across as wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That shouldn't take away from how many issues Tim was able to hold his own for.
    It shouldn't also imply that Dick couldn't hold his own.
    Just like Damian's solo's getting prematurely cancelled don't mean that he can't hold his own if only given the chance.

Tim's solo had over 100 issues. that is true.
    Dick Grayson was the first Robin to have solo adventures and the first Robin to sell without batman. That fact is also true.
    Dick is also the only Robin whose introduction resulted in a noticeable increase in the sales of the main title featuring batman. A 40% increase.

I don't think anyone who mentions Dick's solo adventures means to discount Tim's efforts just like i hope those who continually point out that Tim is the only Robin to have a solo aren't meaning to discount Dick's efforts in Star Spangled Comics that made Robin into a solo hero since the golden age of comics

It shouldn't also imply that Dick couldn't hold his own.
    Just like Damian's solo's getting prematurely cancelled don't mean that he can't hold his own if only given the chance.

Tim's solo had over 100 issues. that is true.
    Dick Grayson was the first Robin to have solo adventures and the first Robin to sell without batman. That fact is also true.
    Dick is also the only Robin whose introduction resulted in a noticeable increase in the sales of the main title featuring batman. A 40% increase.

I don't think anyone who mentions Dick's solo adventures means to discount Tim's efforts just like i hope those who continually point out that Tim is the only Robin to have a solo aren't meaning to discount Dick's efforts in Star Spangled Comics that made Robin into a solo hero since the golden age of comics
    All four Robins can hold their own book, although I'm not sure if this will be a successful effort for Tim for a variety of reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by NOCTPHOENIX View Post
    Oh I'm sorry. Yeah you got me on the slashfic thing but for the other term I was using it ironically and not seriously hence the quote marks to refer to how Fitzmartin referred to Tim and Bernard as "muh babies" like people on tiktok who like boys love. Again I apologize for coming across as wrong.
    That's fair. I wonder what her editors think of the work and direction? How much over sight does she have? It feels like none.
    It's being said before that DC should have a character encyclopaedia. Not just to keep writers up[dated on whats going on with character but also as a quick reference material for writers who don't know the lore well like Meghan.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    All four Robins can hold their own book, although I'm not sure if this will be a successful effort for Tim for a variety of reasons.
    The sad thing is that everyone of those reasons were avoidable or created by creative that's been charged with crafting Tim's story.

Again I ask where is the oversight or where is the PR/marketing department in all this. Someone should read the base.

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    Tim’s Pride Special was reprints though. That had to have hurt the sales as people who were buying Urban Legends wouldn’t buy the Pride Special too.
    But how many people may not have been willing to pay $7.99 per an issue of Batman: Urban Legends if they only were interested in one of the stories?

Extraordinary Member

Tim doesn't get dumped in dumpster fires. That is an outright lie.
    Tec is a Dumpster fire?
    Batman beyond is a Dumpster fire?
    YJ is a Dumpster fire?
    Nightwing is a Dumpster fire?
    TT is a dumpster fire?
    RR was a Dumpster fire?
    The TT and YJ incarnations with Tim post flashpoint were definitely.

Batman Beyond Tim didn't really feel like Tim (honestly all they would have needed to do to make Dick the main character would have been to change his name).

And in Tec he was "dead" for half of that run, that he was so important for the Rebirth plot that he had to be removed also went nowhere, and I think his future version also kind of qualifies as a dumpster fire.

I mean he had a couple of decent stories and guest appearances here or there but all ongoing books where he was the lead have been pretty bad since flashpoint.

Against my better judgement I decided to pick this issue up. I have every issue of tim's solo comic so far and was really not wanting to break up the collection but after 1 issue, i just cant keep buying. I knew based on the Urban legends storyline this would be a tough book to buy into but even with low expectations this book was a disappointment. This character is not Tim, it just flat out isnt him.

I think that is the most annoying thing about all the changes to Tim, is that this storyline could have been done well, I wouldnt have liked anything ruining him and steph but it could have been done, it would have just required time and actual good storytelling. Something that could have built over 12 issues, could have showed tim fall out of love with stephanie or recognize that something was off, have bernard come in as a friend and have tim realized something was different in his relationship with him. I wouldn't have liked that but at the very least it would be somewhat earned, instead of basically having it be that in backup issues of an anthology book whose length combined is about the same as an annual. Basically one annual, Tim breaks up with steph, connects with bernard, realizes he is bi, tells everyone in his life, is accepted and celebrated by steph and has fallen in love with bernard, in basically the page length of one freaking annual. Imagine if in a Batman annual, he all the sudden realized he no longer liked selina, feel in love with Ivy, had Ivy reciprocate the feelings, told everyone in the batfamily, all of them uniformly accepted that and then selina shows up and says its the greatest day ever that bruce now is in love with Ivy. That would be uniformly bashed as an awful story, and yet for Tim its controversial to complain that they essentially did the same thing and they made that the basis of a solo book for him, its just hard to accept. The way DC did this is flat out lazy pandering done by a writer who doesn't have any actual attachment to Tim Drake and what has come before but instead projected the story she wanted to tell on his character regardless of whether it made sense or was wanted by the fans.
    Last edited by regg215; 09-30-2022 at 02:07 PM.
    "You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged"- CAPT. Picard

Quote Originally Posted by regg215 View Post
    Something that could have built over 12 issues, could have showed tim fall out of love with stephanie or recognize that something was off, have bernard come in as a friend and have tim realized something was different in his relationship with him.
    Tim could have come out as bisexual but remained in a relationship with Stephanie. Would have been a much more nuanced arc.
    Cheers - CL

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by regg215 View Post
    Against my better judgement I decided to pick this issue up. I have every issue of tim's solo comic so far and was really not wanting to break up the collection but after 1 issue, i just cant keep buying. I knew based on the Urban legends storyline this would be a tough book to buy into but even with low expectations this book was a disappointment. This character is not Tim, it just flat out isnt him.

I think that is the most annoying thing about all the changes to Tim, is that this storyline could have been done well, I wouldnt have liked anything ruining him and steph but it could have been done, it would have just required time and actual good storytelling. Something that could have built over 12 issues, could have showed tim fall out of love with stephanie or recognize that something was off, have bernard come in as a friend and have tim realized something was different in his relationship with him. I wouldn't have liked that but at the very least it would be somewhat earned, instead of basically having it be that in backup issues of an anthology book whose length combined is about the same as an annual. Basically one annual, Tim breaks up with steph, connects with bernard, realizes he is bi, tells everyone in his life, is accepted and celebrated by steph and has fallen in love with bernard, in basically the page length of one freaking annual. Imagine if in a Batman annual, he all the sudden realized he no longer liked selina, feel in love with Ivy, had Ivy reciprocate the feelings, told everyone in the batfamily, all of them uniformly accepted that and then selina shows up and says its the greatest day ever that bruce now is in love with Ivy. That would be uniformly bashed as an awful story, and yet for Tim its controversial to complain that they essentially did the same thing and they made that the basis of a solo book for him, its just hard to accept. The way DC did this is flat out lazy pandering done by a writer who doesn't have any actual attachment to Tim Drake and what has come before but instead projected the story she wanted to tell on his character regardless of whether it made sense or was wanted by the fans.
    Why didn't you feel the character in the issue wasn't Tim?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    The TT and YJ incarnations with Tim post flashpoint were definitely.
    I think Dietrich point was TT and YJ weren't supposed to be Dumpster fire.

When DC put Tim in New52 Teen Titans and Young Justice, they were expecting big success (that will carry a whole line for teen characters).

It's true that these comics were pretty bad and the writers pretty divisive. That doesn't change that DC's goal was for Tim to be the faces of a whole line.

PS: I know people complaint about the lack of a solo since New52, but that's likely because they already have two ex-Robins with a solo.
    Last edited by Konja7; 09-30-2022 at 03:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NOCTPHOENIX View Post
    Why didn't you feel the character in the issue wasn't Tim?
    The tim in this book acts neurotic, the scene with bernard sneaking up on him was laughably bad, Tim is an accomplished detective on par with bruce and yet he gets surprised like an idiot in that scene, he looked like shaggy from a scooby doo cartoon, not a vigilante who has been active for years, the internal dialogue seemed massively inconsisent with tim's established personality, like him just being happy with bernard when we have no idea why it wasn't working with stephanie, Tim would be analyzing that trying to figure that out as to why he is so much happier, instead its just like "Bernard is awesome" and thats it. Then there is the fact that tim looks like he is maybe 15 years old, which would be like picking up a superman book and he all sudden is early 20's again with no explanation. This just does not feel like Tim at all and again if time had been taken to show why he changed or how he came to these conclusions in his life it would be easier to accept but instead its just yup this is how it is
    "You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged"- CAPT. Picard

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

You know what never mind this is not for me either
    The art overall is fine, even good, especially the color, detective vision, and setting bisections, but then they get to the close up of Tim's face
    Bernard and everyone else is fine. It's just Tim's face. Especially since classically he's supposed to be cute-attractive and baby-faced
    I thought I'd be able to get pass that since the chin isn't as prominent in the preview but the rest of the book in some panels the chin is there
    It's a bit ridiculous and more than just unappealing