Page 17 of 36 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    There no need to label people who don't like the same thing as you as twitter/tumblr non readers who don't buy comics and just realise people like different things and even may want different things for a character.

Tim only have a book with Meghan as the writer because UL #10 sold well, so there is no truth that these people don't buy comics.LBGT based comic are some of the better selling in the medium, that why the mainstream comics are suddenly pushing LGBT characters. SSOKE has okay direct sales, good digital sales and sold well in trades,

The reason mainstream some LGBT comics don't do well is the same reason a lot of straight comics don't do well and get cancel all the time fans just don't like the product.
    Yet nobody says oh look straight white guy did not sell and that PROVES nobody wants to read about him him like so many LOVE to do with every single POC, LGBTQA+ and most female books.

so let's retire this arguement.
    It's not going to be retired because you have a faction of folks that do not want these books to exist.

Twitter and Tumblr crowd is a very small group. Who don't deal in reality.

Quote Originally Posted by NOCTPHOENIX View Post
    Which 'fans' like this? Are you referring to twitter/tumblr because a lot of them aren't reflective of comics and don't even read/buy comics and are just okay with looking at pictures of Tim and Bernard online to gush over it.
    You might not like to hear it, but those are his fans too. We don't know how well the comic will sell yet, the trade might do decent. The Twitter/Tumblr crowd you are looking down at are part of the reason why Heartstopper became such a success, well that and the fact that it's a really cute and well written story. I can't say the same about this comic yet, but who knows what might happen if it manages to someone capture the attention of fans outside the usual comic fans. All I want is for Tim to finally move on instead of being stuck as Robin forever, and if this is what it takes, then so be it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Who says that they didn't???

Folks need to get over books needing to do 100K or always be top 50.

That is not how reality works. Not every book DC or Marvel or ANY company puts out gets stocked at every single comic book store.

Not every book is required to have say 50 copies per store. Some only need 1 others might be 5.

Not everyone RUNS to buy a floppy-some do wait for trades.

Some do buy via OTHER venues like Ebay or Half Price books because the books are cheaper. Or in Ebay's case a variant the store does not have is somehow there.

Some only want the book done by CERTAIN folks.
    Many DC books seem to need to sell pretty good in stores. Otherwise, these books end up being canceled.

Who says that they didn't???

Folks need to get over books needing to do 100K or always be top 50.

That is not how reality works. Not every book DC or Marvel or ANY company puts out gets stocked at every single comic book store.

Not every book is required to have say 50 copies per store. Some only need 1 others might be 5.

Not everyone RUNS to buy a floppy-some do wait for trades.

Some do buy via OTHER venues like Ebay or Half Price books because the books are cheaper. Or in Ebay's case a variant the store does not have is somehow there.

Some only want the book done by CERTAIN folks.
    The numbers. The people on those books don't work for free. There needs to be some sort of viable monetary interest for DC to pay people to create these books. The more expensive the creative team, the bigger the return needs to be. Thats how reality work. If stores only need 1 copy, that means the majority of that stores costumers are not interested in that book. Not all books can afford to wait for potential trade returns, and generally trades perform similarly to how the floppies did. Outliers aren't consistent enough to publish for just trades. And while some dude might buy their books from Ebay or half off doesn't mean DC should to cater to them. As publishers see no return from that.

Yet nobody says oh look straight white guy did not sell and that PROVES nobody wants to read about him him like so many LOVE to do with every single POC, LGBTQA+ and most female books.
    Yes, because no one was saying this before Tim wasn't a strait white guy lol.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 09-29-2022 at 05:08 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ayanestar View Post
    You might not like to hear it, but those are his fans too. We don't know how well the comic will sell yet, the trade might do decent. The Twitter/Tumblr crowd you are looking down at are part of the reason why Heartstopper became such a success, well that and the fact that it's a really cute and well written story. I can't say the same about this comic yet, but who knows what might happen if it manages to someone capture the attention of fans outside the usual comic fans. All I want is for Tim to finally move on instead of being stuck as Robin forever, and if this is what it takes, then so be it.
    Heartstoppers was well written but Fitzmartin has made it clear she's just writing a slashfic perfect BL story that is targeted towards people who like to squee and coo at the adorable "gaybies".

There no need to label people who don't like the same thing as you as twitter/tumblr non readers who don't buy comics and just realise people like different things and even may want different things for a character.

Every 'ship' have fans who don't buy comics and just like suff from social media. A huge percentage of Dick/Babs and Dick/Starfire fans are from different cartoons who never read comics.

Tim only have a book with Meghan as the writer because UL #10 sold well, so there is no truth that these people don't buy comics.LBGT based comic are some of the better selling in the medium, that why the mainstream comics are suddenly pushing LGBT characters. SSOKE has okay direct sales, good digital sales and sold well in trades, so let's retire this arguement.

The reason mainstream some LGBT comics don't do well is the same reason a lot of straight comics don't do well and get cancel all the time fans just don't like the product.
    I didn't mean my comment to come across like that just reference to the ship specifically but now I see how it doesn't look good.

Was it UL 6 or 10

This was not my jam. Doubt I’ll get # 2. Couldn’t shake the feeling this was someone’s fanfic. There are some really basic scripting and pacing problems here. And I *love* Rossmo’s art, think he is Uber-talented, but he is badly miscast on this series.
    Cheers - CL

The art on this was crap. I was gonna pick this up but woof what a piece of shit
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"

Mighty Member

Heartstoppers was well written but Fitzmartin has made it clear she's just writing a slashfic perfect BL story that is targeted towards people who like to squee and coo at the adorable "gaybies".

I didn't mean my comment to come across like that just reference to the ship specifically but now I see how it doesn't look good.

Was it UL 6 or 10
    Yeah it probably was issue 6, 10 was the next issue she wrote him.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

In terms of Rosmo, check out the work he did on Batman/ The Shadow here and tell me his work here is up to snuff. It was always very stylized, especially in the way he drew faces, but it's still pretty much night and day to his work here (and much of his more recent work).
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Was it UL 6 or 10
    Doesn't matter since UL is an anthology featuring various characters so the sales can't be attributed to just one community or character. The example we should be looking at is Tim's Pride Special.

Can you quit using terms like gaybie and slashfic?

I get what you mean about the tone of Megan's work but since she is being paid by DC it's unfair to call her work slashfic.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    In terms of Rosmo, check out the work he did on Batman/ The Shadow here and tell me his work here is up to snuff. It was always very stylized, especially in the way he drew faces, but it's still pretty much night and day to his work here (and much of his more recent work).
    I have this comic. Both volumes [Snyder's and Orlando's] I love this comic and didn't have an issue with the art at all. It seems that [in my case at least] the art becomes an issue when the story isn't enough to draw me in and hold my attention.

The in Tim Drake Robin really stuck out. I couldn't unsee it and i couldn't lose myself in the story. However in Batman/Shadow, the same art wasn't an issue because the story completely engaged me. The story held my attention.

Does that make sense?

I believe that the problem is that the duo of Rosmo and Megan aren't a good one. Megan needs pretty art to do the heavy lifting. Her UL story with tim was more palatable because it had very good-looking art.

the Robin Eternal story was generally seen as meh because it had passable art. Tim and co didn't look too bad.
    She needs something to distract from the mediocre story. In a good way.

I will say that anyone looking for detective story should look elsewhere. Meghan's Tim isn't a detective. That resolution made zero sense.

There is a divide among Tim fans, both writers and readers on what direction to take him, some what him to evolve and have his own name but others thinks his rightful place is as Robin.
    Which is astonishing and highlights how entitled some fans can be. I'm guessing these are the same fans that Fritzmartin is calling out in YJ dark Crisis. Good for her.

Tim Drake did not create Robin nor did he create the value that gives the mantle it's worth. He isn't the 1st, the 2nd or even the 3rd character to be written in the Robin role so why is it his rightful place?

Especially when he was replaced and other Robins came along.

The Robin mantle shouldn't be carrying Tim Drake. That is not how it works. That is most definitely not how it works with mantles that multiple characters have come together to create it's value. Tim shouldn't be Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Which is astonishing and highlights how entitled some fans can be. I'm guessing these are the same fans that Fritzmartin is calling out in YJ dark Crisis. Good for her.

Tim Drake did not create Robin nor did he create the value that gives the mantle it's worth. He isn't the 1st, the 2nd or even the 3rd character to be written in the Robin role so why is it his rightful place?

Especially when he was replaced and other Robins came along.

The Robin mantle shouldn't be carrying Tim Drake. That is not how it works. That is most definitely not how it works with mantles that multiple characters have come together to create it's value. Tim shouldn't be Robin.
    I think you're giving her a bit too much credit.

I don't think Tim should be stuck as a perpetual Robin but he carried the title and carried it in the first ever Robin solo book which ran for a while so I think that's enough cred for him.

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Doesn't matter since UL is an anthology featuring various characters so the sales can't be attributed to just one community or character. The example we should be looking at is Tim's Pride Special.

Can you quit using terms like gaybie and slashfic?

I get what you mean about the tone of Megan's work but since she is being paid by DC it's unfair to call her work slashfic.
    Tim’s Pride Special was reprints though. That had to have hurt the sales as people who were buying Urban Legends wouldn’t buy the Pride Special too.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think you're giving her a bit too much credit.

I don't think Tim should be stuck as a perpetual Robin but he carried the title and carried it in the first ever Robin solo book which ran for a while so I think that's enough cred for him.
    To be fair, I've understood Dick as Robin has many solo adventure in Star Spangled Comics.

Dick couldn't have a Robin solo, because it wasn't so common to call the books as a character at that time (and the Batman brand wasn't SO strong either).
    Last edited by Konja7; 09-30-2022 at 08:18 AM.