Page 12 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    It will 100% have a decline in sales numbers from issue 1 to issue 2.
    The test will be if the book can find its audience to sustain a moderate number in sales as the issues goes by.

I don't doubt Tim can have a successful book, but DC has choose to put him a difficult position with this creative team right off the bat.
    The art alone is so divisive that can drive away potential readers.
    Drove me away. Tim Drake is my favorite Robin, but one look at that art and I went 'Nope'. It's worse than the X-books in the 90's when every female was drawn like a fairie.

Also- I really don't get what they are doing with Tim. I already didn't like the bisexual angle, but only because I love seeing Tim and Stephanie together. Now Stephanie is still around in her own (poorly drawn) book, so I can live with it. But I never got that Tim had any great feelings for Bernard. I feel if they were going to do this, then maybe they should introduce a new character that Tim doesn't have history with. Have him discover his bisexuality with someone completely new.

As for Tim being Robin again, well... I don't know why he isn't just Red Robin again (with the cowl, not the wings). But we all saw him as 'Drake', so we all know it could be worse.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Drove me away. Tim Drake is my favorite Robin, but one look at that art and I went 'Nope'. It's worse than the X-books in the 90's when every female was drawn like a fairie.

Also- I really don't get what they are doing with Tim. I already didn't like the bisexual angle, but only because I love seeing Tim and Stephanie together. Now Stephanie is still around in her own (poorly drawn) book, so I can live with it. But I never got that Tim had any great feelings for Bernard. I feel if they were going to do this, then maybe they should introduce a new character that Tim doesn't have history with. Have him discover his bisexuality with someone completely new.

As for Tim being Robin again, well... I don't know why he isn't just Red Robin again (with the cowl, not the wings). But we all saw him as 'Drake', so we all know it could be worse.
    Yeah, ill never know whether the book is good or not because the art is unbearable for me.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I agree that I don’t care for the art at all but looking past it the stories alright.

It continues the stories that we’ve seen in past Tim Drake stories this year, it establishes a new status quo for Tim including a new “house”, establishes a bit of a supporting cast including a returning We Are Robin/Future State character, sets up a mystery, and shows that Tim is cool via his detective skill and some fight skills. Honestly it’s mainly the art that kills this issue for me, it was fine on Harley Quinn because the style fit the characters but not this. I would have gotten whoever helped her on the Urban Legends issues.
    Rossmo's art is divisive, even though I don't always like how he draws his faces I don't find it distracting to the story. I actually liked how he demonstrated Tim's detective skills, the faded panels to show flash backs and the cool visuals of Tim's new home.

Meghan writing can be a hit or miss with me but here she did a okay job. She manage to provide Tim his own place in Gotham that feels unique with colourful characters, give him his own supporting characters with Detective Williams and Darcy, flesh out Bernard's personality a bit, while showing Tim being smart and capable without being insufferable.

Overall, this was a good first issue, with an interesting mystery and cliffhanger.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    Rossmo's art is divisive, even though I don't always like how he draws his faces I don't find it distracting to the story. I actually liked how he demonstrated Tim's detective skills, the faded panels to show flash backs and the cool visuals of Tim's new home.

Meghan writing can be a hit or miss with me but here she did a okay job. She manage to provide Tim his own place in Gotham that feels unique with colourful characters, give him his own supporting characters with Detective Williams and Darcy, flesh out Bernard's personality a bit, while showing Tim being smart and capable without being insufferable.

Overall, this was a good first issue, with an interesting mystery and cliffhanger.

I've heard Darcy feels like Steph 2.0. Is that true?

This issue was okay. I was expecting a dumpster fire, at least is not offensively bad like YJ Dark Crisis. The art still is not good imo.

I guess when she have a story to tell instead of trying to trash a beloved series and its fans, this writer can make something at least okay.

But i don't understand the need that Fitzmartin has to mention Bruce, Dick, Jason and Damian all the time. "Bruce would not like this, Dick would" "Damian this, Jason that" "It's not their stories, it's my story"
    Last edited by Drako; 09-27-2022 at 12:13 PM.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    This issue was okay. I was expecting a dumpster fire, at least is not offensively bad like YJ Dark Crisis. The art still is not good imo.

I guess when she have a story to tell instead of trying to trash a beloved series and its fans, this writer can make something at least okay.

But i don't understand the need that Fitzmartin has to mention Bruce, Dick, Jason and Damian all the time. "Bruce would not like this, Dick would" "Damian this, Jason that" "It's not their stories, it's my story"
    How was it in terms of plot and story.

Wasn't Darcy in Future State? Y'know, when Tim was stuck between two blonde girls? Which is funny in hindsight because now it's a blonde guy...

Quote Originally Posted by NOCTPHOENIX View Post
    How was it in terms of plot and story.
    It's basically setting up the book and some of the cast.

It has a character from a previous book that looks like it will be a huge part of this (And they sometimes talk in sign language, but doesn't look like she is deaf, which is weird to me, but maybe i'm missing some context of this character).

Also, we saw all of what this issue had to offer from Bernard in the preview. He doesn't appear again after that.

The plot revolves around a murder mistery, but it's not that interesting. It has some callbacks from the Pride special issue.

The dialog is fine for the most part, but it has some cringe lines.

To me it's a 6/10. Could be a 6.5 or a 7 but the art doesn't help at all.
    Last edited by Drako; 09-27-2022 at 12:50 PM.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Incredible Member

Agreed that the art style is bad stuff - Tim looks like a martian, and the rest of the characters look like it is drawn by kindergartners.

The story and dialogue itself is fine in a vacuum, but since it has to be viewed in the context of how Tim was outed and where he was prior to that, it does nothing to allay those concerns. We've never had valid dialogue/story that transitioned the reader from 'Tim and Stephanie are happily in love' to what we have here where Bernard is apparently the love of his life. With the writer frontloading how being with Bernard unlocks something in Tim, Tim's romantic and outlook on life is clearly important. But we are still left with a gap in the Tim/Stephanie story.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by lefthanded View Post
    Agreed that the art style is bad stuff - Tim looks like a martian, and the rest of the characters look like it is drawn by kindergartners.

The story and dialogue itself is fine in a vacuum, but since it has to be viewed in the context of how Tim was outed and where he was prior to that, it does nothing to allay those concerns. We've never had valid dialogue/story that transitioned the reader from 'Tim and Stephanie are happily in love' to what we have here where Bernard is apparently the love of his life. With the writer frontloading how being with Bernard unlocks something in Tim, Tim's romantic and outlook on life is clearly important. But we are still left with a gap in the Tim/Stephanie story.
    So far I've heard the writer doesn't even show how Bernard allegedly unlocks the real Tim as he seems more or less the same. And trust me we won't get an explanation of why Tim doesn't love Stephanie anymore as the best the writer could come up with is "I'm bi".

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Wasn't Darcy in Future State? Y'know, when Tim was stuck between two blonde girls? Which is funny in hindsight because now it's a blonde guy...
    Yep, Darcy is the girl from Future State.

Spectacular Member SomeRandomSmartA55's Avatar

So far I've heard the writer doesn't even show how Bernard allegedly unlocks the real Tim as he seems more or less the same. And trust me we won't get an explanation of why Tim doesn't love Stephanie anymore as the best the writer could come up with is "I'm bi".
    More like “I’m gay,” because that is how Tim is being written right now. Tim being bi could be SO GOOD when they actually start writing him as Bi instead of Gay!!! This could’ve been great but no instead we’re stuck with this?!

Incredible Member

It is pretty poor writing with how they are literally telling us that Tim is a completely different person. Tim isn't any different from how we've seen him in this past, he is just thinking internally that he is different. And this is via Tim thinking about a past anecdote (an encounter with Damian). So they don't even have the decency to show us this event, we are just supposed to take the new status quo as completely established.

It'd be like if the first issue of Ric Grayson #1 has Ric living in a new neighborhood, and then Ric thinks about Damian telling Ric that he is a completely different person. And prior to Ric Grayson #1, there was never any issues that showed Nightwing getting shot in the head nor the aftermath.

Mighty Member

I saw a panel on twitter on Tim thinking how the rest of the Batfamily would react to his place. Why was there an emphasis on Stephanie and "hate"and why did they dedicate a box for soley to emphasize this?

I saw a panel on twitter on Tim thinking how the rest of the Batfamily would react to his place. Why was there an emphasis on Stephanie and "hate"and why did they dedicate a box for soley to emphasize this?
    Shipper toxicity.