Page 10 of 36 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Astralabius View Post
    I think you don't understand what the problem with that trope is at all.
    He does not and then he kept digging.

So, did the real Tim get kidnapped again, and replaced by a different version? Not the bisexual part of him, but the part where he's suddenly head over heels for a character that not only he didn't like last time he popped up, but sold him out to a villain as well. Not to mention how he treated Steph just before. Damian may have been on to something there.

...Yes, I'm advocating for shoving this into Elseworlds.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    Well, it's a number #1.
    We need to see how he does in the long run.
    What is an example of a number 1 that sold well but the series didn't as number 1's sell well in general correct? And isn't this only for digitial sales?

Spectacular Member SomeRandomSmartA55's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    So, did the real Tim get kidnapped again, and replaced by a different version? Not the bisexual part of him, but the part where he's suddenly head over heels for a character that not only he didn't like last time he popped up, but sold him out to a villain as well. Not to mention how he treated Steph just before. Damian may have been on to something there.

...Yes, I'm advocating for shoving this into Elseworlds.
    Damian is our only hope to find the real Tim.

Quote Originally Posted by NOCTPHOENIX View Post
    What is an example of a number 1 that sold well but the series didn't as number 1's sell well in general correct? And isn't this only for digitial sales?
    It's very common actually, as the series goes on the numbers steadily decline. It's normal for most characters except the likes of Batman and Spider-man.
    It's part of why Marvel usually has lower numbers in their books, cause they relaunch most of the series every so often.

I don't have any exemples of the top of my mind, but i'm pretty sure Wonder Girl and Robin (Damian's book) were some examples. The problem with how comics are distributed nowadays is that we don't have the actually numbers like we had in the past with Diamond. Now we only have guesses and small sample sizes that don't actually tell the whole picture.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Is that just for digital copies (ComiXology)?
    Yep, this is just for digital.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    Yep, this is just for digital.

How much of actual sales do digitial sales represent though?

Mighty Member

How much of actual sales do digitial sales represent though?
    Depending on the book the average across the industry is 9% but for some books it is said to be as high as 20%.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Yeah issue one sales are always pretty meaningless usually.

Speculators always come in droves for the first issue especially if it has several variant covers. Helps that this is also a Batman title so its starting at a higher base than other books.

But that doesn't mean there won't be a decline. Both I Am Batman and Future State Gotham but started with fairly high sales during their first issue or 2 but afterwards there was a steady drop and they are now among the lower selling titles in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Yeah issue one sales are always pretty meaningless usually.

Speculators always come in droves for the first issue especially if it has several variant covers. Helps that this is also a Batman title so its starting at a higher base than other books.

But that doesn't mean there won't be a decline. Both I Am Batman and Future State Gotham but started with fairly high sales during their first issue or 2 but afterwards there was a steady drop and they are now among the lower selling titles in general.
    It will 100% have a decline in sales numbers from issue 1 to issue 2.
    The test will be if the book can find its audience to sustain a moderate number in sales as the issues goes by.

I don't doubt Tim can have a successful book, but DC has choose to put him a difficult position with this creative team right off the bat.
    The art alone is so divisive that can drive away potential readers.
    Last edited by Drako; 09-26-2022 at 01:55 PM.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Spectacular Member SomeRandomSmartA55's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    It will 100% have a decline in sales numbers from issue 1 to issue 2.
    The test will be if the book can find its audience to sustain a moderate number in sales as the issues goes by.

I don't doubt Tim can have a successful book, but DC has choose to put him a difficult position with this creative team right off the bat.
    The art alone is so divisive that can drive away potential readers.
    Which is nothing to say of how divide the writing has been. Honestly Tim Drake deserves Belen Ortega as the main artist and either Chuck Dixon or James Tynion as the main writer.

Ultimate Member

Understand with a number 1 those are numbers are inflated by variants. Along with those who collect ONLY the first issue of a series.
    New 52 had this happen where excluding issue one-NOBODY bought issue 2-the end of Grifter at ANY of the stores in my city.

Generally the drop between issue 1 and 2 is more due to variants being reduced or removed.
    Followed by a drop because by the time issue one comes out-Final Order Cutoff arrives for the next issue.
    If your store does NOT let you prepay for the issues like mine does-you get another drop in numbers. It varies on what book you look at.

I'll give you an example from some old research...

Rebirth Cyborg
    Rebirth issue orders were 64169
    Issue 1 56280
    Issue 2 37797
    Issue 7 19788
    Issue 9 16274
    Only between issues 14-16 were the drops NOT in double figures.
    NEVER did this book see an increase in orders.
    Cyborg got axed in the middle of a story arc.

Meanwhile New Superman
    Issue 1 117684
    Issue 2 72522
    Issue 5 25378
    Issue 7 18959 (Last time the book decline in the 1000s)
    Book did see an increase in orders later on.
    This book ended at 25.

As for trades-New Superman blew Cyborg away.
    Digital-Cyborg towards the end actually did better on Kindle for Amazon.

Notice the decline in orders between issue 1 & 2.

What caused New Superman to get higher orders? And stay that high until the end of arc one?

Fans SOURED on the previous Cyborg run that the editor helped ruined?

Now the question for this book is her Fitzmartin soured folks on Tim like Harvey Richards did Cyborg (and Static)?

I…will be passing on this. I was looking forward to it after having enjoyed Tim for years, and finding his coming out journey - and internal narrative about it - both entertaining and honest. But I can’t with the art. I’m not going to rag on it or anything, it’s just…not for me at ALL.

I’ll follow the story in recaps until the artists change, then try again.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Understand with a number 1 those are numbers are inflated by variants. Along with those who collect ONLY the first issue of a series.
    New 52 had this happen where excluding issue one-NOBODY bought issue 2-the end of Grifter at ANY of the stores in my city.

Generally the drop between issue 1 and 2 is more due to variants being reduced or removed.
    Followed by a drop because by the time issue one comes out-Final Order Cutoff arrives for the next issue.
    If your store does NOT let you prepay for the issues like mine does-you get another drop in numbers. It varies on what book you look at.
    It is one of the reasons I pay attention to digital sales trends you can quickly tell how a book is doing as the ranking is not inflated by variants.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Now the question for this book is her Fitzmartin soured folks on Tim like Harvey Richards did Cyborg (and Static)?
    I not defending Fitzmartin's writing and I not saying that DC: Young Justice did really well but it certainly didn't crash and burn on the charts on Amazon and generally for the entire run it was in the top 25 on Amazon. Either it was not as badly received as people think it was or people really just wanted to support Young Justice books.

Tim has a core fan base so I can see them giving the book a chance, so it may last over 12 issues, and it moved up the charts after the preview was released and is tracking to be DC's best-selling book tomorrow, which could change depending on word of mouth.

I'm not going to say people's complaints are invalid but the people who don't like certain books can be louder than those who are enjoying them.

If you go by social media you would think that Tom Taylor is the most detested writer and that his books are a failure but right now on the Best Sellers in Superhero Graphic Novels he has 8 books in the top 100, SSOKE #15 is still in the charts 2 weeks after it has been released and base on pre-orders the next issues of SSOKE, Nightwing and DeCeased are already charting even though sales for them are 2 to 3 weeks away.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    It is one of the reasons I pay attention to digital sales trends you can quickly tell how a book is doing as the ranking is not inflated by variants.

I not defending Fitzmartin's writing and I not saying that DC: Young Justice did really well but it certainly didn't crash and burn on the charts on Amazon and generally for the entire run it was in the top 25 on Amazon. Either it was not as badly received as people think it was or people really just wanted to support Young Justice books.

Tim has a core fan base so I can see them giving the book a chance, so it may last over 12 issues, and it moved up the charts after the preview was released and is tracking to be DC's best-selling book tomorrow, which could change depending on word of mouth.

I'm not going to say people's complaints are invalid but the people who don't like certain books can be louder than those who are enjoying them.

If you go by social media you would think that Tom Taylor is the most detested writer and that his books are a failure but right now on the Best Sellers in Superhero Graphic Novels he has 8 books in the top 100, SSOKE #15 is still in the charts 2 weeks after it has been released and base on pre-orders the next issues of SSOKE, Nightwing and DeCeased are already charting even though sales for them are 2 to 3 weeks away.
    But like you said those are digital sales which aren't really too reflective of physical sales or sales in general as they comprise either 9-20%