Page 19 of 36 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    You know what never mind this is not for me either
    The art overall is fine, even good, especially the color, detective vision, and setting bisections, but then they get to the close up of Tim's face
    Bernard and everyone else is fine. It's just Tim's face. Especially since classically he's supposed to be cute-attractive and baby-faced
    I thought I'd be able to get pass that since the chin isn't as prominent in the preview but the rest of the book in some panels the chin is there
    It's a bit ridiculous and more than just unappealing

How about the story/writing?

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NOCTPHOENIX View Post
    How about the story/writing?
    Oh I trade wait, so I haven't read it through. Those are just from panels people post online.

I do have one impression that seems pretty consistent her writing. She uses Suddenly a lot. Suddenly Tim broke up with Steph. Suddenly YJ crew are mean to each other. Suddenly Tim is friends with Darcy (she's in Future State but that doesn't count, it's the future)

I have a New Continuity Mindset Switch ready since last year once I figure out from other books that this is pretty much new continuity (with additional instant plot hole solution of Hypertime and Past Memory Flash) and she's the Tim world builder so she can do whatever, but that's still many Suddenly at the beginning of every one of her run.

Oh previous poster mentioned how Tim at alert means Bernard shouldn't be able to sneak up on him. That's right actually. He has his radar on but somehow his back is the one that's exposed. This is another one I noticed in the writing overall, at least in YJDC, I don't remember if it happened in Urban Legends, but... I mentioned this when we're discussing YJDC Fritzmartin uses certain characterization and portrayal in order to set up something.

In YJDC, she made Cassie mean to the other three in order to set up her regretting it and missing her friends. In this case, it's to set up how distracted Tim can be when he's with Bernard. Regardless if it's consistent with previous characterization or unique to this continuity (my Switch is confused) I don't like it, because this is a sign of Writers Doing Whatever They Want For Drama

That said it's also not something I always notice, so this is a 50:50 annoyance.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 09-30-2022 at 10:34 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    I think Dietrich point was TT and YJ weren't supposed to be Dumpster fire.
    No book is supposed to be Dumpster fire, but unfortunately an increasing number of them are.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    No book is supposed to be Dumpster fire, but unfortunately an increasing number of them are.
    Maybe not dumpster fires, but we do know for example that Adam Glass was supposted to make people turn against Damian and make him into a villain with his Teen Titans run. It wasn't an accident or bad execution.

Other books just make you hate a character without meaning to. I could strangle Tom King's Batman.

I think Dietrich point was TT and YJ weren't supposed to be Dumpster fire.

When DC put Tim in New52 Teen Titans and Young Justice, they were expecting big success (that will carry a whole line for teen characters).

It's true that these comics were pretty bad and the writers pretty divisive. That doesn't change that DC's goal was for Tim to be the faces of a whole line.

PS: I know people complaint about the lack of a solo since New52, but that's likely because they already have two ex-Robins with a solo.
    Lobdell wasn't even divisive till after the New 52, and Bendis was one of DC's, if not their, highest paid creators. And to re-emphasize both were intended to flag ship entire lines. One was the case of the EIC wrongly betting on an old friend, and the other DC believing YJ had a bigger audience.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 10-01-2022 at 04:53 AM.

Astonishing Member

The original point was the accusation that DC doesn't show support to Tim, which isn't really true. It's true that this support has been harmful on occasion (New52 Teen Titans), but this is totally unintentional.

There are characters that DC have intentionally tried to turn into villains (even if it doesn't fit the character at all).
    Last edited by Konja7; 10-01-2022 at 04:58 AM.

Mighty Member

The original point was the accusation that DC doesn't show support to Tim, which isn't really true. It's true that this support has been harmful on occasion (New52 Teen Titans), but this is totally unintentional.

There are characters that DC have intentionally tried to turn into villains (even if it doesn't fit the character at all).
    This is very true. Tim gets focus, it's just not always to his benefit. Not a fan of the art here, and the writing is pretty cringe, but it could be worse.

Just look across the aisle at Ben Reilly fans. Where Marvel actually IS trying to destroy that character.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Lobdell wasn't even divisive till after the New 52, and Bendis was one of DC's, if not their, highest paid creators. And to re-emphasize both were intended to flag ship entire lines. One was the case of the EIC wrongly betting on an old friend, and the other DC believing YJ had a bigger audience.
    I'm not sure if Lobdell is the right writer for a teen book, but I think a lot of the problems from that run came from how these characters got reimagined after the reboot, and I think the blame for that is something you have to put at least to degree on the editors and on DCs overall direction. And it took till rebirth to course correct.

I'm not sure if Lobdell is the right writer for a teen book, but I think a lot of the problems from that run came from how these characters got reimagined after the reboot, and I think the blame for that is something you have to put at least to degree on the editors and on DCs overall direction. And it took till rebirth to course correct.
    DC's overall direction. In other words nothing to with Tim Drake or DC ignoring or putting him in dumpster fire books.

They shouldn’t have even been around given DCs overall direction at the time, yet they still choose to go with them to build a line around. Jettisoning generations before and after them. While Lobdell was the creator of the famed Generation X.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 10-01-2022 at 12:40 PM.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I really enjoyed the first issue. Honestly, it felt like the much needed breath of fresh air that Batgirls is.

This isn't a reboot of the Dixon era (that lost its luster after issue 30) or even the (at best mediocre) Red Robin book. This is a new direction for Tim and I am all for it!

Tim has a new status quo (shattered by the deaths of characters I expected to recur), is adjusting to his new life, has a "in" with the GCPD and even a side-kick.

This really feels like a Tim book, remember that his early solo issues were all sans-Batman (Bruce then John-Paul) so he was self-assured but finding his footing and how awkward/unsure he was with Ariana, and a chance for him to move into a new era of relevence.

I took a few pages to acclimatise to the art (I'm old) but was really drawn in by the expressive facial work pretty quickly.
    Last edited by exile001; 10-01-2022 at 01:18 PM.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    I really enjoyed the first issue. Honestly, it felt like the much needed breath of fresh air that Batgirls is.

This isn't a reboot of the Dixon era (that lost its luster after issue 30) or even the (at best mediocre) Red Robin book. This is a new direction for Tim and I am all for it!

Tim has a new status quo (shattered by the deaths of characters I expected to recur), is adjusting to his new life, has a "in" with the GCPD and even a side-kick.

This really feels like a Tim book (remember how awkward/unsure he was with Ariana) and a chance for him to move into a new era of relevence.

I took a few pages to acclimatise to the art (I'm old) but was really drawn in by the expressive facial work pretty quickly.
    He wasn't this awkward/unsure with Ariana or this dumbstruck or in over heels. Not even with Steph to the point he got snuck up upon.

And I won't accept this Red Robin slander.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    DC's overall direction. In other words nothing to with Tim Drake or DC ignoring or putting him in dumpster fire books.
    Let say it like this, at least no at at DC seems to have really in some effort to prevent these books from becoming the dumpster fires they eventually became.

And hasn't even gotten a solo mini series that was set in the main continuity for 10 years kind of goes in the direction of ignored. And I'm not even sure he would have gotten the current one without the coming out.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Even with that pedigree, I think there are clear reasons why neither worked at selling a teen Superhero comic in the modern era.

Let say it like this, at least no at at DC seems to have really in some effort to prevent these books from becoming the dumpster fires they eventually became.

And hasn't even gotten a solo mini series that was set in the main continuity for 10 years kind of goes in the direction of ignored. And I'm not even sure he would have gotten the current one without the coming out.
    No lets say exactly what you said.

I think the blame for that is something you have to put at least to degree on the editors and on DCs overall direction.