Page 22 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I finally bought the first issue. As an artist myself, I hate disparaging other artists, especially if they are professional. They got farther than I did and kudos to them for it. However, this is just so horribly not my taste. I couldn't even read it. I have every Tim Drake appearance minus a few Detective/Batman appearances, but this is just not for me. I tried to find some kind of contact information for the editor but couldn't find anything. How does one go about contacting editors these days?

Quote Originally Posted by SomeRandomSmartA55 View Post
    Rebirth set it up for him to go to college and honestly I think that’s a great direction for him. He’s considered the smart Robin and he’s also supposed to be the “relatable” Robin because he had something resembling a normal childhood. A big part of the Robin book was him trying to balance his school life with his hero life, so this would be a way to bring him forward while also taking him back to his roots. Plus he can do the one thing Dick Grayson never did…graduate!
    Yes, I was so happy about that. We’ve been robbed!

And if it were up to me I would make his roommate…Warren McGinnis
    Omg, I love it. THAT would be cool.
    “Fleeing through the labyrinths with the hordes of the living dead fast upon them;
    Once again they found themselves trapped in front of the abyss.”

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    I finally bought the first issue. As an artist myself, I hate disparaging other artists, especially if they are professional. They got farther than I did and kudos to them for it. However, this is just so horribly not my taste. I couldn't even read it. I have every Tim Drake appearance minus a few Detective/Batman appearances, but this is just not for me. I tried to find some kind of contact information for the editor but couldn't find anything. How does one go about contacting editors these days?
    I actually don’t mind the art. Speaking as someone who used to art. But I feel there is a time and a place for everything and this just isn’t the place for this particular artist.
    “Fleeing through the labyrinths with the hordes of the living dead fast upon them;
    Once again they found themselves trapped in front of the abyss.”

Spectacular Member SomeRandomSmartA55's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rufio View Post
    Yes, I was so happy about that. We’ve been robbed!

Omg, I love it. THAT would be cool.
    Right! I even had one plot idea about how Matt McGinnis gets stuck in the past and he seeks out Tim's help to get back to the future, but this is also Matt's only opportunity to connect with his father, because he barely remembers him. And maybe Tim causes the events that leads to Warren meeting his future wife or even the Batman Beyond project forming. I'm seriously considering becoming a comic writer, so I'm just thinking of ideas all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufio View Post
    I actually don’t mind the art. Speaking as someone who used to art. But I feel there is a time and a place for everything and this just isn’t the place for this particular artist.
    I don’t think that place is anywhere at a publisher like DC, to be honest.
    Age of Marvels and DC Next Dawn - Monthly Fan Made Solicitation Competitions on these very forums, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!

Rebirth set it up for him to go to college and honestly I think that’s a great direction for him. He’s considered the smart Robin and he’s also supposed to be the “relatable” Robin because he had something resembling a normal childhood. A big part of the Robin book was him trying to balance his school life with his hero life, so this would be a way to bring him forward while also taking him back to his roots. Plus he can do the one thing Dick Grayson never did…graduate!

And if it were up to me I would make his roommate…Warren McGinnis
    Dick didn't graduate? Are we sure? I thought we learned he has a Law degree?

How does one get a law degree without graduating?

Pretty sure Dick graduated. Didn't we find out that in Taylors Nightwing?

So Damian is the only Robin who is a graduate? That can't be accurate.

The new Tim book seems to setting up a life for him outside of heroics from what I saw in the preview.

Along with a cast just like his 90's series did.

College setting would be a good direction for Tim.

Right! I even had one plot idea about how Matt McGinnis gets stuck in the past and he seeks out Tim's help to get back to the future, but this is also Matt's only opportunity to connect with his father, because he barely remembers him. And maybe Tim causes the events that leads to Warren meeting his future wife or even the Batman Beyond project forming. I'm seriously considering becoming a comic writer, so I'm just thinking of ideas all the time.
    Warren was in Gotham high and Tim was in Gotham High so they could cross paths.

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    Dick didn't graduate? Are we sure? I thought we learned he has a Law degree?

How does one get a law degree without graduating?

Pretty sure Dick graduated. Didn't we find out that in Taylors Nightwing?

So Damian is the only Robin who is a graduate? That can't be accurate.

The new Tim book seems to setting up a life for him outside of heroics from what I saw in the preview.

Along with a cast just like his 90's series did.

College setting would be a good direction for Tim.
    I think in Sam Humphries run, Dick mentioned a degree in criminology.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Nightwing View Post
    I think in Sam Humphries run, Dick mentioned a degree in criminology.
    I was thinking about how in pre-crisis he dropped out of college right at the beginning of the Wolfman-Perez Teen Titans run. But I mean if I’m wrong glad I now know.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    @TheAriannaThe on Twitter.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

All-New Member

I honestly haven't read anything this disappointing in years. I could see the issues in Fitzmartin's YJ run but I thought maybe that was whatever chip she had on her shoulder over there and hoped the Tim Drake comic would play out differently. However, it seems poor writing prevails. It infiltrates everything from the plot to her dialogue to her characterization. Hearing Tim Drake would be bi actually brought me back into reading DC comics, and after reading this issue and sitting on my thoughts for a bit, I still can't reconcile the issues with the writing enough to make me like the series, and it's made me question continuing with more of DC's stuff. (I have enjoyed the recent Batman storyline with Tim in it though.) I know the Tim Drake story is only one issue at this point, but we've got her YJ run proceeding it and coupled with her recent interview comments, it's pretty much destroyed whatever little hope I had for what might come in future issues for him. I don't feel like we're getting a story coming from a genuine love of these characters but an agenda Fitzmartin has, and unfortunately, her editors are letting her get away with it and in the process are ruining a character with so much potential. I'm not even mad at the art. It wouldn't have been my first choice for this particular comic, but the style definitely has a place in the comic world. For me, the greater fault lies in the writing. The artist had to feed off some sort of script, right? So some of those scenes that play out weirdly OOC can't entirely be blamed on the art even though it feels like people are taking that route. Rossmo will probably take the initial hit for Fitzmartin's issues which is unfortunate, but the real problem is the writing for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicMyth View Post
    I honestly haven't read anything this disappointing in years. I could see the issues in Fitzmartin's YJ run but I thought maybe that was whatever chip she had on her shoulder over there and hoped the Tim Drake comic would play out differently. However, it seems poor writing prevails. It infiltrates everything from the plot to her dialogue to her characterization. Hearing Tim Drake would be bi actually brought me back into reading DC comics, and after reading this issue and sitting on my thoughts for a bit, I still can't reconcile the issues with the writing enough to make me like the series, and it's made me question continuing with more of DC's stuff. (I have enjoyed the recent Batman storyline with Tim in it though.) I know the Tim Drake story is only one issue at this point, but we've got her YJ run proceeding it and coupled with her recent interview comments, it's pretty much destroyed whatever little hope I had for what might come in future issues for him. I don't feel like we're getting a story coming from a genuine love of these characters but an agenda Fitzmartin has, and unfortunately, her editors are letting her get away with it and in the process are ruining a character with so much potential. I'm not even mad at the art. It wouldn't have been my first choice for this particular comic, but the style definitely has a place in the comic world. For me, the greater fault lies in the writing. The artist had to feed off some sort of script, right? So some of those scenes that play out weirdly OOC can't entirely be blamed on the art even though it feels like people are taking that route. Rossmo will probably take the initial hit for Fitzmartin's issues which is unfortunate, but the real problem is the writing for me.
    My love for Tim Drake must be strong, because I will keep reading anything that has Tim in it. And yes that includes this shitshow because despite how much I hate what Fitzmartin is doing Id rather have this then Tim being cast aside altogether.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    @TheAriannaThe on Twitter.
    is there anything for those of us archaic souls who do not use twitter? (But thank you for the info.)

All-New Member

My love for Tim Drake must be strong, because I will keep reading anything that has Tim in it. And yes that includes this shitshow because despite how much I hate what Fitzmartin is doing Id rather have this then Tim being cast aside altogether.
    I can understand that. I know people have waited a long time for some content with him again and as a Robins fan in general (I honestly enjoy them all for what they offer) it was something I was excited about myself. It's just really disappointing to see Tim being written in a way that ignores his character in favor of making him just a bisexual token, which is an issue also being written poorly as someone who is bisexual myself reads it, and propping up other characters (or bringing others down) than being about Tim himself. I really love the character of Tim but also don't want to give money to a writer like Fitzmartin and prop up sales. For whatever one comic issue would really mean in the long run for that. (And I realize the money isn't going directly to her but it would be giving the series a sale which in turn looks like support for her stories.) I hate that this feels like we're shooting ourselves in the foot by having to support a terrible writer just because we want content with Tim Drake and LGBTQ+ characters. To me, this just reads like someone telling me what Tim Drake should have been in her narrowed view of things rather than celebrating the character for who he is and building on what he had that was already good.

But I'm not going to hate on anyone supporting it. I do think though that we should be able to actively criticize the problems inherent in the storytelling and the representation being touted here and not be called out for it. (I'm not saying you did this here but I have seen people saying if you say bad things about her writing, you're the one with the issues and should support her content even if it's bad because it's what we've got.) If they switch writers, I would probably pick it up again though since I think Tim's story deserves that chance.

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicMyth View Post
    I can understand that. I know people have waited a long time for some content with him again and as a Robins fan in general (I honestly enjoy them all for what they offer) it was something I was excited about myself. It's just really disappointing to see Tim being written in a way that ignores his character in favor of making him just a bisexual token, which is an issue also being written poorly as someone who is bisexual myself reads it, and propping up other characters (or bringing others down) than being about Tim himself. I really love the character of Tim but also don't want to give money to a writer like Fitzmartin and prop up sales. For whatever one comic issue would really mean in the long run for that. (And I realize the money isn't going directly to her but it would be giving the series a sale which in turn looks like support for her stories.) I hate that this feels like we're shooting ourselves in the foot by having to support a terrible writer just because we want content with Tim Drake and LGBTQ+ characters. To me, this just reads like someone telling me what Tim Drake should have been in her narrowed view of things rather than celebrating the character for who he is and building on what he had that was already good.

But I'm not going to hate on anyone supporting it. I do think though that we should be able to actively criticize the problems inherent in the storytelling and the representation being touted here and not be called out for it. (I'm not saying you did this here but I have seen people saying if you say bad things about her writing, you're the one with the issues and should support her content even if it's bad because it's what we've got.) If they switch writers, I would probably pick it up again though since I think Tim's story deserves that chance.
    I know I’m bi too, I don’t normally care so much about representation, it’s not a main draw for me, I want great characters, a compelling story, and beautiful artwork. But when my favorite character and my sexuality are being written this poorly, it lit a fire in me. It made me realize yeah I wouldn’t mind a properly written bi guy. The only bi character that got me remotely interested was Jason (Wonder Woman’s brother) but they are doing nothing with that character, and I do like Constantine, I just want something other than him you know?

My initial reaction to Tim being bi was “Wow…they have no idea what to do with him.” And so far I’ve been proven right. It was pretty much the exact opposite direction I wanted him to go in. I’m attached to Tim & Steph, they are the reason I got into comics and they are my favorite couple. I would’ve preferred Jason (but I will be the first to admit that is just me simping for the guy) or Damian (especially after they announced Jon being bi) So I wasn't interested, but I saw a lot of people excited and said they knew for years, so I figured I should look into why people felt this way. Looking into it Tim always has to keep secrets from people or hide his true self. There is one panel in a Harley Quinn book where Harley is teasing him about why he got into super-heroics, was is the girls in tights? Or they boys? His face in that panel was just…really made me think. But the thing that sold me on Tim being bi, was his relationship with Stephanie.

So I gave Fitzmartin a chance, see what she has. Then the Pride special happened, then Young Justice Dark Crisis, and now this. She just doesn’t have the writing talent, nor the respect of those who came before her, nor am understanding of the differences between being gay and being bi. It just feels she wants to right her fanfiction, and anyone who disagrees are bigots, and editorial is just standing by letting it happen.

I don’t want to hate on anyone who likes this book either, but I’m just flabbergasted as to why anyone would like this. We deserve better than this. Bernard is just the worst choice they could’ve made. made yet but there are apparently people who will do anything to defend it. I mean I’ve had straight people call me homophobic for not liking Bernard, and I was just like “my browser history would say otherwise”

Honestly I want Chuck Dixon to come back and write Tim, he’s one of the greatest writers DC has ever had & he made Tim who he is. But if DC wants to go down the route of Bi Tim, then they need to get James Tynion. His Detective Comics run is some of the BEST character work Tim has ever had (especially post New 52) and the guy is bi. Frankly, he’s the only writer I trust to do that right.

Say what you will about Fitzmartin but she has really got my creative juices flowing so much that I am seriously considering becoming a comic writer and have been thinking or ideas everyday so I can try to fix this mess.
    Last edited by SomeRandomSmartA55; 10-08-2022 at 04:47 PM.