Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

I’m going to read it until the end, since I’m a sucker (Heh) for superhero/horror stories, but it’s already fallen into the Marvel Zombies type Pit of Nonsense and shows no sign of crawling out.

Where are all the people? There were billions a year ago, and I’m sure the vampires killed/turned quite a few, but still, we’re they all just slaughtered (Kandor-style) except for the ones required for the Blood Farms?

How many blood farms are there? How many people are in them? Are they all being fed from the Swamp Thing buffet? How the hell are the logistics of - that - supposed to work?

Are all the Blood Farms in America? Do they all have top level ex-superheroes and a cadre of lower ranked costumes guarding them? I know there were a - lot - of costumes in the US before the Fall but come on, that’s got to be a limiting factor on how many humans they can farm.

The seas are dead. What are the Atlantean prisoners eating? Or are all the Atlanteans vampires now and they’re feeding on Blood Farm cattle too?

Where the hell are the Green Lanterns? They mentioned them in the first post-Fall issue, I think, but how exactly are the vampires supposed to have beaten an army of Light Wielding space cops? They wouldn't even need to make planet-fall, just project a gigantic green vacuum cleaner to suck up the smoke and ash and redirect sunlight to bathe every inch of the planet in UV. Yet, no sign of them, even though they must know that Hal Jordan is dead.

And where is Hal’s ring? There was no other suitable wearer on the entire planet? And while we’re on the topic, how did Hal wield it when he was technically dead? Aren’t the Rings supposed to bug out when their wearers die?

So, yeah, problems. Nice idea, though.
    Last edited by Nullviahomo; 09-29-2022 at 02:09 AM.

Incredible Member

Logistics has always been this series' weakest spot (that, and the some rushedness that comes from wanting to do a fully realized Elseworld with two arcs and settings in just 12 issues), but I think the rest is pretty good. It's pulpy fun that knows what it is, it's a well-paced combo of mystery/horror/adventure and some very black comedy and more importantly, it does all those things pretty well (sometimes in the same chapter, despite the disparity of tones/genres) with its twists and turns being generally well-written and prepared. The individual issues work well by themselves and still manage to build to the main stories (easier said than done). It also does pretty well with character relationships (of the characters that it focuses on) and the gimmick of "please friend/family member/loved one, fight this, I don't want to fight you" makes for interesting dynamics between good guys and bad guys, with Supergirl's approach being different to say, Green Arrow's. And I think it uses its vampire gimmick better than some other stories use their respective gimmicks (at the very least, it hasn't forgotten it's a vampire series).

But an idea like this has very different potential approaches and unless you're doign this DCVV as some kind of "choose-your-own adventure" game (where you can choose player and outcomes or something) you'd always be limited in terms of worldbuilding/possibilities, specially in a monthly limited series comic book format (like, I for one wished the investigative role in the first part of the series was taken by investigative reporter Clark Kent instead of Batman, for example, you wouldn't even need to change the plot too much).

Quote Originally Posted by D.Z View Post
    What about DC vs Aliens next.
    I want DC Vs Globetrotters, a bleak AU where nothing is at stake beyond the shame of defeat. They lose.
    Last edited by Zagre; 09-28-2022 at 08:59 AM.

I just like the weirdness that can come from Elseworld series and how it can change characters in different context. I mean come on Vampire Slayer Jayna of the wonder twins is a cool idea.
    Last edited by sifighter; 09-28-2022 at 09:21 AM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I hope Jayna is still on play especially with her shonen attack shouting

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mai Zen View Post
    I hope Jayna is still on play especially with her shonen attack shouting
    Water can’t die

Spectacular Member

And just to clarify some remarks I've seen elsewhere.

Power Girl's heritage as a native of a heavy gravity world might explain her still being strong and tough, but it wouldn't do squat to make her fly. That's got to be Kryptonian powers in effect, which begs the question of how she still has them.

Vampires in this series can only fly if they turn into bats (see - Gorilla Grodd) or have the ability already. Aquaman might - look - like he's hovering over the sea, but that's either an artistic mistake or something to do with his command of the waters. Baron Cinder uses Luthor's jet boots to fly. The uniformed guard officer hovering in the Blood Farm camp must be some kind of low level meta that we haven't had identified, or it's another mix-up between artist and writer. If vampires - did - have the ability to fly without turning into bats, the mob thundering towards Ollie at the camp gate would have included a few.

Spectacular Member

And to babble on a bit more, I can't help thinking that the endgame to the series was kicked off in the weird events of DCvV#8, where the Justice League Dark were seemingly ambushed at the House of Mystery and Constantine turned up in Babs' room all fried and forgettful.

If I had to make a guess, I'd say spoilers:
    Phantom Stranger was referring to a plan to alter whatever happened when the House of Secrets burnt when he was interrupted, Doctor Fate wasn't taken unawares by the arrival of the Vampire Magic Posse because The Spectre warned him it wasn't Constantine at the door. The VMP were there to "make everyone forget something", which leads me to believe that they know what happened when the House of Secrets burnt and want to forestall anyone messing with that event. The JLD defeat or capture the VMP (hell, there's a chance that some of them like Klarion and maybe Jason Blood himself are actually working - with - the Resistance already) and then use the information they glean to stage a mission back in time to get 'something' from the House of Secrets. That's why Constantine turns up burnt and forgetful, despite him getting a bit charred in the process the mission was a success, but since he's got a role to play in the wider war he couldn't be allowed to remember what their secret was and was dropped off in Kandor to set the Gotham distraction moving.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Nullviahomo; 09-29-2022 at 07:15 AM.

Incredible Member

This series is still pulpy fun, but it again falls into the pit of 'Bat family here to save the day'.

I totally do not understand the coloring choice on All-Out War - the high contrast is eye catching, but action is really hard to follow. When everyone is a white/black/red colored, its pretty hard to figure out who is who and who is doing what..

Quote Originally Posted by lefthanded View Post
    This series is still pulpy fun, but it again falls into the pit of 'Bat family here to save the day'.

I totally do not understand the coloring choice on All-Out War - the high contrast is eye catching, but action is really hard to follow. When everyone is a white/black/red colored, its pretty hard to figure out who is who and who is doing what..
    I mean…some would the opposite considering Nightwing being the big villain and slaughtering everyone except Damian, Barbara, and I think Kate is still alive in all-out war.

I’d argue the arrow family of Oliver and Dinah are more our main heroes personally, with Supergirl possibly in second.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

The Black Manta reveal was fun. The series in general lost its luster a while back.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I mean…some would the opposite considering Nightwing being the big villain and slaughtering everyone except Damian, Barbara, and I think Kate is still alive in all-out war.

I’d argue the arrow family of Oliver and Dinah are more our main heroes personally, with Supergirl possibly in second.
    No, Kate was turned and found by Damien, wether she actually is on their side is debatable, the one who is missing is Cassandra who did survive when Graydon revealed himself and killed Batman.

Incredible Member

I see your point, but the fact that only Batfamily vampires are able to resist following the vampires, is a weird unexplained point. Why would Hal go along with the vampires, since his willpower is what he is known for, while randomly Batwoman and Damian are able to be on the side of good. Aside from the way the story is setup, there is no reason that Dick is a bad vampire and Damian is a good vampire aside from the fact that they need Damian to serve an important role in the story.

Spectacular Member

My assumption was that Damian was able to resist the pull as Damian resist the pull all the time. Plus, unlike the others his embryonic fluid was Lazarus juice infused with Chaos. As Dick originally said, he didnt want to turn Damian because Damian was too angry all the time. Unlike most of the characters he has to decide Demon or Detective all the time....and he has Alfred.

At least that was my assumption. I'm also not sure that Dick hasn't evolved somewhat. He did go from willing throw away Damian to making sure Alfred protects Damian because Damian is the hope for the two species to coexist.

Quote Originally Posted by lefthanded View Post
    I see your point, but the fact that only Batfamily vampires are able to resist following the vampires, is a weird unexplained point. Why would Hal go along with the vampires, since his willpower is what he is known for, while randomly Batwoman and Damian are able to be on the side of good. Aside from the way the story is setup, there is no reason that Dick is a bad vampire and Damian is a good vampire aside from the fact that they need Damian to serve an important role in the story.
    Fair point, essentially every vampire immediately turned evil aside from two heroes huh.
    Words to live by.

Fair point, essentially every vampire immediately turned evil aside from two heroes huh.
    Basically this is a nutshell, all the others go full evil vampire regardless of powers, genetics, divine blessings...i mean WW is blessed by the gods of Olympus but she has been full on kill, kill, kill. And where are the other Amazons in this? I mean Themyscira was protected by divine beings, several of them being connected to the Sun, so where the hell are they?