Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Task Force Z #12 Preview

Task Force Z #12 Preview
    Writer: Matthew Rosenberg
    Artist: Eddy Barrows

I guess this ended the only way it really could. With explosions.

Also poor random GCPD officer.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess this ended the only way it really could. With explosions.

Also poor random GCPD officer.
    And poor Jason getting jerked around by one zombie after the other. Thankfully Grundy is a special case.

Incredible Member

Was this title always meant to be 12 issues as it has felt padded out in some of the recent issues.

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Top Hat View Post
    Was this title always meant to be 12 issues as it has felt padded out in some of the recent issues.
    Actually, it was originally announced as an ongoing, but two issues in, it suddenly became a 12-issue maxi-series.

Going to quote myself from the Jason Todd Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    I just read TFZ #12, it was underwhelming.

Thankfully, it doesn't hurt Jason's status quo as the solicits had made me fear but it also highlights how Jason was just forced into this book without a clear plan for him other than driving up sales. In practical matters is almost as if this past year was utterly meaningless for him.

spoilers:
    Jason talking down Gotham and lecturing about revenge is the first time that I see Jason from Lobdell and Martinbrough's issues shine through but in the context of this series, it makes him come off like a complete hypocrite. Literally, his entire driving force through the series was getting revenge on everyone so he has no ground to stand with anything he says to Gotham. The final scene with Harvey was the best part of the book (and I guess it pretty much confirms that Penguin being the one who "killed" Willis is still canon) but it also gets undermined by the ending since it seems that Two Face is back and now with a bunch of powered zombies as his goons.

And then, much like Freeze literally walked out of the book to be on Detective, Jason is literally shipped off to the Joker's book. So we're looking at yet another period where Jason will be dragged around in a book that is not his and that ultimately will be meaningless.
    end of spoilers
    As a Jason fan, this book was a colossal wast of time.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    Actually, it was originally announced as an ongoing, but two issues in, it suddenly became a 12-issue maxi-series.
    Thanks. It wasn’t a bad series but it kind of left Jason little further on from where he started it. I think Harvey did quite well out of it, as he got left in a more interesting place than Jason.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Hat View Post
    Thanks. It wasn’t a bad series but it kind of left Jason little further on from where he started it. I think Harvey did quite well out of it, as he got left in a more interesting place than Jason.
    And Jason and Steph are on friendly terms. Which is more than what could be said for their entire history up until now.

And I kind of am hoping Jason puts Joker out of our misery for a while. At least until the next reboot.

My little review from our other thread:

I've read the last issue of Task Force Z.
    spoilers:

Honestly? I liked it a lot. It ties the story pretty well. But I don't know why it was Steph the one who looked for him and not anyone else /who has more of a relationship with, I mean). I guess all the others were still a bit mad at Jason for tricking and stealing them before. Anyways, it's nice, I like her being friends with Jason.
    Anyways. I think, the thing that I liked the most about this series, besides all the fun action and bizarre horror pulpy style and gore, it was Harvey's dynamic with Jason. Harvey is a baddie that I like quite a lot and have a soft spot for (same as I have for Deathshot). And the actual villain, Bloom, was pretty good.
    end of spoilers

For me, I think this book has become one that I could recommend to people who look for plain fun with a nice end.
    ------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    And Jason and Steph are on friendly terms. Which is more than what could be said for their entire history up until now.

And I kind of am hoping Jason puts Joker out of our misery for a while. At least until the next reboot.
    They are not going to kill the Joker. They can't kill him, not even in elseworlds and alternate continuities. If they kill the Joker, they couldn't use him in the next Joker book or event, heh.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 09-27-2022 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    My little review from our other thread:

------------------------------------------------

They are not going to kill the Joker. They can't kill him, not even in elseworlds and alternate continuities. If they kill the Joker, they couldn't use him in the next Joker book or event, heh.
    I can dream, can't I!?

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    I can dream, can't I!?
    Yeah. Absolutely you can.
    I can relate, too :__D.

Extraordinary Member

So after just binge reading the hole series, I have to say I find the plat pretty messy and convoluted and I don't feel that Jason really got much opportunity to shine.

Besides huis sudden friendship with Staphanie there are also some other thing I find wired:
    - Why does everyone seem to know Jason's identity and backstory?
    - Why did Jason need to team up with Taskforce Z to take Powers out instead of doing it with the Batfamily or some other heros? Especially since what Powers was doing wasn't really an immediate thread and the Zombies really killed a a lot of security guards?
    - Why were Harvey and Bloom so obsessed with Jason? Jason has not interacted with two face since he was Robin, and has `nothing to do with Bloom.
    - Since when was Harvey mentally stable again?

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    So after just binge reading the hole series, I have to say I find the plat pretty messy and convoluted and I don't feel that Jason really got much opportunity to shine.

Besides huis sudden friendship with Staphanie there are also some other thing I find wired:
    - Why did Jason need to team up with Taskforce Z to take Powers out instead of doing it with the Batfamily or some other heros? Especially since what Powers was doing wasn't really an immediate thread and the Zombies really killed a a lot of security guards?
    - Why were Harvey and Bloom so obsessed with Jason? Jason has not interacted with two face since he was Robin, and has `nothing to do with Bloom.
    The whole thing has more holes than swiss cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    -Road to Task Force Z most likely put his profile in the public eye, revealing him as the Red Hood.
    -Because that way they would've involved other batcharacters for a long run, and they didn't want to. Most likely.
    -Bloom is a sadist who just decided to use Jason as his toy 8idn't seem too personal to me). Harvey is an old friend of Bruce and also has a bit of a history with Jason's biodad. I guess that's why, in an implicit way.
    -No idea.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    -Road to Task Force Z most likely put his profile in the public eye, revealing him as the Red Hood.
    Did it?

I mean if I compare that to pre flashpoint, when Dick put him in Arkham/Blackgate they were completely unable indetify him.

Know I have the impression, that his identity, that he was Robin, was killed by the Joker and kame back from the dead is basically universal knowledge, which is odd since everybody who knows that, would also know that Bruce is Batman ...