Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Astonishing Member

I expect Johns to bring back the retro-boot back but he will "skip" the nu52 parts. Probably something to do with Hypertime.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I've honestly thought all the endless complaining about Bendis was a bit over the top, but his last few years at DC have definitely made it painfully clear to me why this man's writing generates so much venom.

When Bendis is great, he's really, really great, but when he's not trying, it's some of the most mediocre comics writing I've ever encountered.

Street level is his wheelhouse, not cosmic stuff like Superman and Legion. His best work is usually considered to be Alias (the first series starring Jessica Jones) and Ultimate Spider-Man, right? Which are both street level books. His best DC work is probably Young Justice, honestly (despite "Drake"). It was definitely good compared to their current Dark Crisis tie-in! I can't help thinking he'd have been better served doing Batman or Green Arrow.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I've honestly thought all the endless complaining about Bendis was a bit over the top, but his last few years at DC have definitely made it painfully clear to me why this man's writing generates so much venom.

When Bendis is great, he's really, really great, but when he's not trying, it's some of the most mediocre comics writing I've ever encountered.
    preach, I completely agree.

I hope he gets a book that suits his strength, maybe a Black Label book or a ancillary Bat-Book.

but this book really ended with a thud, I would have thought this would be a big bang ending similar to one of his Avengers event books

He seems to have left DC. His creator owneds are at Dark Horse now.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I would have really rather seen what he could have done with Green Arrow, the Question, Manhunter...these characters really fit his strengths better than JL, LSH, Superman........

I was of the same opinion. It was too much I used to think. I was very interested on his coming to DC and really believed he could do interesting things, even if its last times at Marvel were received with such vitriol and were not the best things he had done. Civil War 2, & X-Men were big dissapointments. I have read than Guardians of the Galaxy was also a horrible read. I supposed it was because he had reach the limit at Marvel and a change of editorial could recharge the creative energy. But I was wrong.

I still like Powers, but sometimes I wonder if we analize Bendis work, maybe it is not that good? Honestly I really am baffled for believe the same guy who wrote Powers also wrote the JLvsLoSH.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    I would have really rather seen what he could have done with Green Arrow, the Question, Manhunter...these characters really fit his strengths better than JL, LSH, Superman........
    Would he had fit? Even the Event Leviathan was not that good and there he could had shined in the kind of story which are suppously in his strenghs writing.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    He seems to have left DC. His creator owneds are at Dark Horse now.
    It is the most probably thing. Just look: he was not choosen to write neither any special related to Dark Crisis nor any of the Batman: One bad day specials. Those kind of stories also serves to feature the stock of writers the editorial have on staff. And Bendis was not recruited to write any of them. Williamson, Taylor, King, Tamaki, Wilson, all of them got one special. Bendis was not called for anything. Even Waid, who is recently is returnig to DC got a Dark Crisis special for him. So most probably we will not see anything from him related to DC anymore.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

I didn’t hate Naomi, or his JL run…. but wow, talk about phoning in the ending!

In the end, did we ever find out ANYthing about Gold Lantern? The Oans showed up…and…?
    Six pages devoted to Western Jonah Hex nonsense?
    Was there any point to any of this?

Hoping this whole 4boot can be ignored and forgotten ASAP so a more recognizable Legion can be restored.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Yeah. Sad thing is that I wanted to like his stuff so bad.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by astro@work View Post
    I didn’t hate Naomi, or his JL run…. but wow, talk about phoning in the ending!

In the end, did we ever find out ANYthing about Gold Lantern? The Oans showed up…and…?
    Six pages devoted to Western Jonah Hex nonsense?
    Was there any point to any of this?

Hoping this whole 4boot can be ignored and forgotten ASAP so a more recognizable Legion can be restored.
    All that did pushing he did for the character and he barely did anything.

At least when other writers handle a pet character they actually have them do stuff. Sure they overtake the narrative and do everything but like okay that makes sense when you are pushing a character you want to be a thing.

Meanwhile Bendis' usage of Gold Lantern is just bizarrely incompetent.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    All that did pushing he did for the character and he barely did anything.

At least when other writers handle a pet character they actually have them do stuff. Sure they overtake the narrative and do everything but like okay that makes sense when you are pushing a character you want to be a thing.

Meanwhile Bendis' usage of Gold Lantern is just bizarrely incompetent.
    That's what happens when Bendis writes twenty characters at once, he loses focus incredibly easy.