Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default How does Mike Carey's X-Men run rate?

I stopped collecting after Claremont left the first time and only started again with Hickman's run, so don't know much about any writers between those two. Thank you.

I thought it was an awesome fun run with a pretty cool and unique cast of X-men. Highly recommended.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

It's pretty well regarded.

It was a great run with great art from bachalo. But instead of a team book i would equate it more to like x-men red where it is Storm and a team it was Rogue and a team but even more so from the vantage point of Rogue. But still a good story with good art.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Great run that truly was ahead of it's time with the COTV concept.

I'd give him a solid 8,5/10.

Carey has great knowledge and appreciation for the X-Men. His initial Rogue-led squad (Adjectiveless #188-204) was for me the highest point of his run.

I sense that his good knowledge of the X-Men universe was why by way of editorial mandate he was forced to abandon the team book recipe and switched to a more solo-oriented book, when the title was renamed X-Men: Legacy. Even so, his initial Xavier-led run was as good a run as one can hope to read, given the premise he had to respect for the book. The Rogue-focused run less so, and I felt like his interest was starting to wane toward the end of his run. It's good they rewarded his professionalism by giving him the Age of X, which was very fun and hopefully gets revisited in the future.

By far, Carey's strongest area was his ability to bring back C- or D-listed faces (Karima, Regan, Amelia, Exodus, etc.) out of limbo and shape them into compelling characters.

I must echo what everyone else has said. Carey's run was great.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

It was okay. My biggest problem is that he turned Rogue into a Mary Sue and actually got me to dislike her. I like that he brought Gambit back to the X-Men but he was kind of a chump. High point was Age of X. Low point was Rogue throwing herself at Magneto after a holocaust story and Gambit giving her the thumbs up to do it.

One of the best Rogue centric runs of all time.

Started out really strong but declined over the course of its run. Age of X being the exception against that trend.

Carey is a great writer and his craft never really let him down. What let him down was choices he made, particularly in focuses.

He has a lot of knowledge and skill but sometimes he just doesn’t do anything with the characters. They are just there to fill out the story. Give it a go if you like Xavier, Rogue, Magento and several of the New X-mens like Trance.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I rate it highly but think his adjectiveless run is superior to his X-Men Legacy one. I always found it puzzling that after writing an excellent team book and showing a great grasp on the whole X-universe during Messiah Complex, Carey was relegated to just chronicling the adventures of Professor X and Rogue. I still enjoyed what he did on Legacy but he really should have ascended to the throne and taken over Uncanny X-Men instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    Carey is a great writer and his craft never really let him down. What let him down was choices he made, particularly in focuses.
    Carey used to mention during the course and in the aftermath of his run that he wasn't allowed to write a team book after Messiah Complex against his wishes. Which writer of that period could have made better use of the likes of Mastermind, Amelia Voght, Loa, Indra, and so on? Certainly not Yost or Fraction.

I doubt anyone would have picked up the unresolved Danger subplot from Astonishing, if he hadn't done so himself.

He was pretty much well-loved all-around. I think the only critics I saw of his whole run was the Magneto-Rogue thing, which was admittedly pretty cringe. He even made a Iceman Mystique relationship somewhat fun.

Very thoughtful writer. Really loved the characters and always utilised canon well in his stories. Wish he was back

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I don't remember if it was Hickman or White who mentioned in an interview that they had reached out to Carey about writing an X-book for the Krakoan era. What a wonderful addition he would be to the current roster of writers.