Mighty Member

Default Whats the Best site for sales numbers for comics

I know beat is. But i really like dc month to month on beat,

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

No where really, it's like being in the days of yore where all we have are rough estimates.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by fin5 View Post
    Whats the Best site for sales numbers for comics
    Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    No where really, it's like being in the days of yore where all we have are rough estimates.
    What he said.

It use to be there was only one distributor for all published comic books to the comic book shops here in the U.S. (Diamond), so at least the numbers published showed how many copies of each book were ordered by comic book shops. (Not necessarily how many were sold to customers, but how many were ordered by the shops.)

Now publishers are starting to ditch Diamond, so even that's out the window. Plus, there's no good way of getting numbers for digital copies purchased.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    What he said.

It use to be there was only one distributor for all published comic books to the comic book shops here in the U.S. (Diamond), so at least the numbers published showed how many copies of each book were ordered by comic book shops. (Not necessarily how many were sold to customers, but how many were ordered by the shops.)

Now publishers are starting to ditch Diamond, so even that's out the window. Plus, there's no good way of getting numbers for digital copies purchased.
    What MajorHoy said. The go to places used to be Comichron and ICV2 (I always favored ICV2), but right now we have no reliable sales number concerning DC. I don't expect that to change, either: DC seems comfortable keeping the numbers for themselves and with what's profitable or not. Snydercut people appear to have made wary of sharing data with the public as well.

So, you know, just enjoy your comics.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    What MajorHoy said. The go to places used to be Comichron and ICV2 (I always favored ICV2), but right now we have no reliable sales number concerning DC. I don't expect that to change, either: DC seems comfortable keeping the numbers for themselves and with what's profitable or not. Snydercut people appear to have made wary of sharing data with the public as well.

So, you know, just enjoy your comics.
    This because too many folks only want that data to attack certain books of certain demographics and lifestyle choices and writers.

In the end NOBODY reading Nightwing should CONCERN themselves with how I Am Batman is doing. It's numbers will NEVER hurt Nightwing.
    Nubia having a book is NOT going to hurt Wonder Woman one bit.
    A tag line on Tim's book is NOT slaps in the faces of any Robin before or after him.

Yet folks want to act like they do. They really don't.

Because there are factors that I Am Batman face that Nightwing and others will NEVER deal with for those numbers. Many times it has nothing to do with the creative team or DC but where said store is located.

If you got a book say Harley that sells better in the South versus the North-her numbers will look vastly different from Catwoman-who does NOT have that issue.

At the end of the day DC is putting out books to hopefully sell. They don't need entitled fans telling them what they can or can't produce.

Fans don't like Duke Thomas? That is NOT DC's issue. That is those fans issue.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    This because too many folks only want that data to attack certain books of certain demographics and lifestyle choices and writers.

In the end NOBODY reading Nightwing should CONCERN themselves with how I Am Batman is doing. It's numbers will NEVER hurt Nightwing.
    Nubia having a book is NOT going to hurt Wonder Woman one bit.
    A tag line on Tim's book is NOT slaps in the faces of any Robin before or after him.

Yet folks want to act like they do. They really don't.

Because there are factors that I Am Batman face that Nightwing and others will NEVER deal with for those numbers. Many times it has nothing to do with the creative team or DC but where said store is located.

If you got a book say Harley that sells better in the South versus the North-her numbers will look vastly different from Catwoman-who does NOT have that issue.

At the end of the day DC is putting out books to hopefully sell. They don't need entitled fans telling them what they can or can't produce.

Fans don't like Duke Thomas? That is NOT DC's issue. That is those fans issue.
    I'm not gonna delve into the fan
    wars here, as I have very little interest in it, BUT: I am Batman is a really,REALLY good Batman comic on the vein of 90s Batman that a bunch of people claim they miss. It's written by an Oscar winner writer. I wonder if it would be getting more buzz in a less politicized time.
    Last edited by BohemiaDrinker; 09-25-2022 at 05:12 PM.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Ultimate Member

There’s nowhere to see sales data. The publishers don’t has make actual sales data public.

What we had before were Diamond estimates but with everyone ditching them, that’s gone out the window.

I actually think it’s for the best. Everyone should enjoy their comics without the fear of cancellation hanging over their heads.

Quote Originally Posted by fin5 View Post
    I know beat is. But i really like dc month to month on beat,
    Obtaining accurate sales on DC comics is a little more nebulous now that they've left Diamond Distributers, but there are ways you can still get a fairly accurate read of what's going on.

1. Comichron: Still puts out DC sales rankings every few months via the disclaimer:

DC comics were distributed by Lunar Distribution during the month, and it again did not provide sales information to retailers or consumers. Comichron's projected order of finish, based on a subset of retailer initial orders, is below. We are not projecting copies sold per issue or integrating them with the industrywide data at this time.
    https://www.comichron.com/monthlycom...2/2022-03.html

2. ICV2: Uses the comichub system via the disclaimer:

these are unit and dollar sales rankings based on sales tracked at point-of-sale by the ComicHub system at stores selling American comics around the world. During the period for which these reports were generated, there were over 100 stores using the ComicHub system. As this is a small, non-random sample of over 3,000 stores selling American comics worldwide, these rankings may not be typical for all stores, but do represent a variety of locations and store emphases.
    A lot of people on this forum don't like ICV2 because they think the sample size is too small. That being said the guys running comichub are some of the top analysts in the industry. When you start getting quoted in established business magazines like Forbes....that's good enough for me.

https://icv2.com/articles/markets/vi...cs-august-2022

3. Comicbookrevolution.com: via the disclaimer:

Keep in mind, that the Top 200 single-issue comic sales charts are based on orders tracked by the ComicHub system at local comic book shops selling American comics. This includes over 3,000 stores selling American comics worldwide. As always, it is important to remember that these rankings are also not actual sales. These rankings only represent the number of units ordered by local comic shops.
    This is my favourite because unlike ICV2 they give you the lowdown on all the comics from the comichub system, not just the top 50, so you can see the real sales bombs.

It's accompanied by opinionated commentary though, but I don't mind since I agree with the writers perspective half the time anyways.

https://www.comicbookrevolution.com/...ales-rankings/

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    There’s nowhere to see sales data. The publishers don’t has make actual sales data public.

What we had before were Diamond estimates but with everyone ditching them, that’s gone out the window.

I actually think it’s for the best. Everyone should enjoy their comics without the fear of cancellation hanging over their heads.
    The cancelation watch was the only legit reason to follow the sales numbers. Even if we had anything near useable numbers (and we absolutely don't, despite some people not being able to just move on) there has not really been any rhyme or reason to series getting axed for quite a while.