Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Default October Book Club Nominations: Make Mine Horror!

While last month's discussion wasn't as lively as previous entries(perhaps Metabarons wasn't readily available for some?) the suggestion of a horror theme during last month's selection process seemed to peek a bit of interest. So for October's Classic Comic Reading Club selection nominate your favorite horror comic! As with the previous events please only nominate stories that are "classic" in nature(at least ten years old) and readily available either in singles, collected editions or as a digital comic.

For Me I put forward Hellboy: The Chained Coffin and Others which is a collection of Mignola's greatest Hellboy short stories and Richard Corben's Haunt of Horror: H.P. Lovecraft.

We'll leave the nominations open for the next three days and then post a poll with the choices.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

The Crow by J.O. Barr
    Monsters by Barry Windsor Smith
    Gideon Falls by Jeff Lemire
    Wytches by Scott Snyder
    Hellblazer Original Sins

A couple of nominations that (mostly) fit the criteria

Frankenstein Alive, Alive by Niles & Wrightson (began in 2012, though a delay for the final issue)

Torso by Bendis and Andreyko (true crime/serial killer story)

Creepy Presents Alex Toth

and one that is more recent:

At the Mountains of Madness (Vol. 1) adapted by Gou Tanabe (there is a vol. 2)

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    A couple of nominations that (mostly) fit the criteria

Frankenstein Alive, Alive by Niles & Wrightson (began in 2012, though a delay for the final issue)

Torso by Bendis and Andreyko (true crime/serial killer story)

Creepy Presents Alex Toth

and one that is more recent:

At the Mountains of Madness (Vol. 1) adapted by Gou Tanabe (there is a vol. 2)

-M
    I haven't heard of the Tanabe adaptation so I'll deffinitely be checking that out. I have both the I.N.J. Culbard version(which kind of resembles Herge's Tintin) from 2010 and the more recent one by Fyda from Bluefox Comics.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Sub-Mariner the Depths by Milligan and Ribic

Quote Originally Posted by Heather Veley
    As I stated before, The Depths takes place in an alternate 1950’s universe (so don’t even bother with Marvel’s continuity here). We follow Dr. Randolph Stein who’s known for his propensity to debunk well-known myths and legends. He is commissioned by the U.S. Navy to determine the existence of Atlantis before the Soviets do (because Cold War) after they lost contact with previous explorer, Marlowe. Stein agrees to the challenge and embarks on the submarine Plato to disprove the mythic underwater city....

What I found pretty cool was how Namor himself is depicted. Despite being the title character, he doesn’t make a full-bodied appearance until the end of the fourth issue ... he’s a mysterious, silent protector. He’s treated more like a deep-sea cryptid and is legitimately terrifying.

...This is a straight up horror comic. From the isolated environment to the feeling that something is watching the crew, this comic plays out like an underwater version of The Thing. Like a lot of great horror, most of the tension in this story comes from Stein clashing with the crew. The crew is adamant about the existence of Namor and feels justified in their fear while Stein is desperately trying to get them to throw away their superstition even when he grows wary of what lurks in the dark.
    https://heatherveley.***********/sub...w-8794000b6a31
    Last edited by Reviresco; 09-26-2022 at 09:48 AM.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

From Katsuhiro Otomo, my nomination would be...

Domu: A Child's Dream
    (童夢)

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Sub-Mariner the Depths by Milligan and Ribic

https://heatherveley.***********/sub...w-8794000b6a31
    That's by far my favorite Sub-Mariner story. I've said since it came out that if they ever did a Sub-Mariner movie they should just adapt this book

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    That's by far my favorite Sub-Mariner story. I've said since it came out that if they ever did a Sub-Mariner movie they should just adapt this book
    Well, given how little Namor appears in it, and that he's really an AU version, I'd rather they choose something different. But I'm a Namor fan, so I'm biased. ;p It is, however, an excellent read and take on Namor as a creature of the ocean.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?