Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Clark Kent: Superboy?

Inspired by the thread where Jim Kelly listed all the massive “building blocks” introduced into Superman mythos by original Superboy series, started wondering how a Clark Kent Superboy series could be written today.

Could you show Clark starting his super hero career as a 10 year old in modern DC comics, years before other main DC heroes were active without compromising too many other DC super heroes? Could it be written in a way that didn’t make his secret identity too obvious?

My bias is it could all be done. And would be worthwhile because it could be so different to other DC series.

It would have to be written in such a way that his powers emerged gradually, and he kept very low key until his super speed emerged. (Once he has super speed, no need to concentrate adventures near Smallville, so less risk of exposing his identity.)

Thoughts, anyone??

Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

I'd be all over this. I'd have him start out with the 1938 power levels. I'd want the Legion of Superheroes involved as supporting characters from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by magha_regulus View Post
    I'd be all over this. I'd have him start out with the 1938 power levels. I'd want the Legion of Superheroes involved as supporting characters from time to time.
    I’d like it….with right writer (say Jeff Lemire) I might even start reading a current DC comic again.

I’d guess the main problems would come if they tried to write it in current mainstream continuity, it would create too many conflicts…DC missed the opportunity (to set it in main continuity) by not planning it into the last re-boot.

But allegedly the multiverse is back so always the option to set it on Earth X, and maybe allow that Earth’s Superboy to visit main Earth occasionally.

I think the idea of Superboy being a midwest rural myth like the Bigfoot, as Johns stablished and how Morrison also set it up is a good way to explore the Superboy idea. Only thing I would do would be expand the are of action fo Superboy to include several other small neighboors towns, where also legends of the Superboy are told. But meanwhile Clark kent is working as the mysterious Superboy, he always uses the suit.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Astonishing Member

Imo Superboy is the trade off for Kal-El not having an inciting incident for his heroism. No shot parents, no dead wife, no call from the Gods. Therefore we need a time to truly look into his formative years and see what it was in his background that made him into a SuperMAN. It's not really the Superman franchises concern how the impacts the surrounding world, it's not Superman's job to conform to the world around him.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Retired

In my mind, this is the way to go with Superman, if they want to revive interest in the character. Too many comics and movies are in a rush to age up the character, get him married, make him a father. Most people these days like to see how a character started out, all the struggles they went through early in life, what events made them become a hero. There's so many stories to be told about that stage of Clark's existence.

Astonishing Member

Clark as Superboy could be used as a way to establish his link to the JSA without getting into multiple Earths.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    In my mind, this is the way to go with Superman, if they want to revive interest in the character. Too many comics and movies are in a rush to age up the character, get him married, make him a father. Most people these days like to see how a character started out, all the struggles they went through early in life, what events made them become a hero. There's so many stories to be told about that stage of Clark's existence.
    Agreed. I've never understood why we didn't get a Superboy series after Secret Origins. Post-DCOIE would be the perfect time to restate Clark's Superboy history and his inspiration for the LoSH.

Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Clark as Superboy could be used as a way to establish his link to the JSA without getting into multiple Earths.
    I absolutely love this idea!

Astonishing Member

The idea that we even lost Superboy in the first place is insane given how DC spent all the time after COIE trying to recreate the Superboy experience via Linda Danvers, Conner, and then Jon. Especially when you consider how Clark Kent superjock kind of just became forgotten after a while precisely because it wasn't a compelling childhood angle to go with. But that kind of fits Superman after COIE's; unique qualities being replaced with generic standardizations.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

My idea for Superboy would be that it appears and disappears. One minute Clark was Superboy, and the world knew it, the following minute people forgot he was Superboy. It's a nice way to keep both sides happy. I guess a downside could be some readers think it's pointless if Clark doesn't remain Superboy. 1) All stories add to Superman's history and canon. 2) Superman has a lot of stories, how many modern" stuff is even canon anymore? notwithstanding, everything is canon. Eventually, you get to a point where said story plays no role or function in the ongoing stories published in Action Comics, Superman, etc.

Astonishing Member

My plan for getting around the secret identity is to remove Smallville as Superboy's (not Clark's) focus. Have Smallville just be a run of the mill town like most other towns- no alien invasions, supervillains, weekly disasters,,, Instead Superboy is dealing with things across the country or even the world. If Superboy shows up in California dealing with a wildfire today, New York City handling a hostage crisis tomorrow and battling teen Lex in Metropolis later this week- who is looking at him on a farm in Smallville?

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    My idea for Superboy would be that it appears and disappears. One minute Clark was Superboy, and the world knew it, the following minute people forgot he was Superboy. It's a nice way to keep both sides happy. I guess a downside could be some readers think it's pointless if Clark doesn't remain Superboy. 1) All stories add to Superman's history and canon. 2) Superman has a lot of stories, how many modern" stuff is even canon anymore? notwithstanding, everything is canon. Eventually, you get to a point where said story plays no role or function in the ongoing stories published in Action Comics, Superman, etc.
    I actually think that would potentially be a good way of doing it.

There would be several options…for example, making it clear that an enemy altered the time stream. Or maybe Superboy does it himself to avert some catastrophe. Or just leave it as an enduring mystery to be resolved at a future date.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    My plan for getting around the secret identity is to remove Smallville as Superboy's (not Clark's) focus. Have Smallville just be a run of the mill town like most other towns- no alien invasions, supervillains, weekly disasters,,, Instead Superboy is dealing with things across the country or even the world. If Superboy shows up in California dealing with a wildfire today, New York City handling a hostage crisis tomorrow and battling teen Lex in Metropolis later this week- who is looking at him on a farm in Smallville?

Yes…if his super speed is established early, that’s a very logical way forward

Retired

Personally, I like the old sensibility and logic of the pre-Crisis comics. In that universe, it all made sense because there was so much continuity that answered the complaints and criticisms of readers. However, in the modern universe, you would have to import all of that back into the comics and I don't see that happening in today's market.

So, if we're stuck with contemporary logic, my fix would be that the world knows a lot less about the Caped Kryptonian. He wouldn't let it be known that he has a secret identity--he doesn't wear a mask, so why would anyone assume he's anyone other than Superman? He wouldn't share any information about his origins or abilities--they wouldn't know he's from Krypton or any of his limitations and weaknesses. And he wouldn't declare any town or city was his home--because he has super-speed and can travel through time, so he is active around the world and throughout space and time.

This wouldn't stop any town or city or world insisting on him being their hero and creating legends around him. Pre-Crisis, other towns and nations and planets celebrated him as theirs. And this makes sense in the real world, where lots of different places will claim some popular figure or fictional character as their own. All it would take would be for one event in a town to be attributed to Superboy, for that town to put up signs saying Superboy Lives Here!

It never made sense to me that Clark was only protecting Smallville or Metropolis. He's not limited like Batman. He has the ability to be in several places at almost the same time. And it used to be the case that he did regular patrols of the whole Earth (not to mention the universe). Which explains why he doesn't get too involved with local problems--he doesn't micro-manage--he leaves that up to other heroes. He deals with the big picture problems that only someone with his powers can handle.