Astonishing Member

Default Marvel and Disney - Princess Spinstress

I'm sorry if nobody is interested, but I really needed to post something about one of the latest spiders introduced in the Spider-Verse: Spinstress.

I have to say, from the very moment I heard Disney bought Marvel, I though about ways of how these two worlds could actually work together. From obvious things like The Incredibles and the Fantastic Four, to not so obvious like Mickey as Iron Man, Donald as Thor, and Goofy as Captain America. The Disney Princess were a difficult factor, but I got some good ideas like Ariel as Namorita or Tiana as Photon.

Anyway, the point is that this story game some interesting ideas by analysing all the references in the characters and the story. Spinstress literally combines elements from all the Disney Princesses together. Let's see:
    + Escaping from the palace and walking through the market incognito, I think that comes from Jasmine ("Aladdin").
    + Singing while walking through the market, I think it comes from Belle, as her first scene and song in "The Beauty and the Beast".
    + Using a frying pan to fight comes from Rapunzel, and her pet spider "Webster" can be a reference to Pascal, the chameleon.
    + Spintress' general design, as well as her princess outfit, I believe they come from Tiana.

+ Bishop Octopus' design, even although it's clearly a version of Doctor Octopus, is clearly based on Ursula; enemy of Ariel, "The Little Mermaid". I have to say, adapting Ursula was a problem for me because of the trouble for the Sea Witch to move on land. However, Bishop Octopus here proved she could actually move right.

+ Queen Mysteria's is obviously an alternative version of Mysterio, but her design is clearly based on Snow White's Evil Queen. However, she also have elements from Rapunzel's Mother Gothel (the scene on the mirror) and Cinderella's Lady Tremaine (as she locks her in her room). I have to say, combining the Evil Queen with Mysterio was actually a great idea. I would have never though of it. (Even Mysterio's helmet could mimic the Queen's Magic Mirror).

+ Norma, the Fairy Gob-... (I'm sorry, but this is a stupid concept). The concept of the "Fairy" and the spell at midnight is an obvious reference to Cinderella. However, the design of this character is clearly based on Aurora's Maleficent. I have to say, I usually imagined Maleficent combined with Morgan Le Fay, but the Green Goblin was actually a good idea.

Only missing Princesses here are Pocahontas, Mulan (who I have never considered a Princess, but a heroine), Merida, Moana, Anna and Elsa. Well, maybe Elsa can have a reference in the fact the princess have powers and she can uses to change her look. (Just like Elsa made a dress our of snowflakes).

What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    Only missing Princesses here are Pocahontas, Mulan (who I have never considered a Princess, but a heroine), Merida, Moana, Anna and Elsa. Well, maybe Elsa can have a reference in the fact the princess have powers and she can uses to change her look. (Just like Elsa made a dress our of snowflakes).

What do you think?
    Meridia could probably be straight translated to Hawkeye with little difficulty. Mulan had a bit of martial arts training, you stretch her to Shang chi or maybe sword master. Moana's big thing was nautical/sailing right? Can't think of one for her.

Maybe Wave, whose powers are hydrokinesis?

For those who aren't aware by the way, since the first post didn't mention it, Tiana is the titular princess in The Princess and the Frog.

Also, Rapunzel's film isn't self-titled - it's called Tangled.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 09-27-2022 at 10:08 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post

For those who aren't aware by the way, since the first post didn't mention it, Tiana is the titular princess in The Princess and the Frog.

And Merry James Watson is the self inserted prince charming type character

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    And Merry James Watson is the self inserted prince charming type character
    He has the same design as the Prince from Sleeping Beauty

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dron View Post
    Meridia could probably be straight translated to Hawkeye with little difficulty. Mulan had a bit of martial arts training, you stretch her to Shang chi or maybe sword master. Moana's big thing was nautical/sailing right? Can't think of one for her.
    "Merida"y. And yeah, making her Hawkeye (Kate Bishop) won't be a problem.
    I thought about Mulan and Shang Chi too, but how about Coleen Wing?
    No ideas for Moana either.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post

I know Rapunzel's movie is "Tangled", I was refering Rapunzel's franchise/world, not her movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    He has the same design as the Prince from Sleeping Beauty
    Actually... No, he looked more like the ropes of Prince Naveen, from "The Princess and the Frog". He even plays a guitar too.