Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Looks like a sure-fire hit. Gonna have to check this out.

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomBoom View Post
    This is the weirdest complaint to have about a movie called "Deadpool and Wolverine" where one of the main draws is the fact it features Hugh Jackman returning to the role.

Like yeah of course they're hyping him up like this, if this were an X-Men movie with the full team it'd be different but it's not, it's a Wolverine and he's one of the protagonists.

Wolverine being a brooding loner tormented by his past is like his whole deal, this is like complaining about Spider-Man quipping and slinging webs.
    Especially when they're putting him in a duo with Deadpool, the dynamic between them just doesn't work if Wolverine is all happy and fun.
    It's not like he has to be happy and fun to stand out from the pretty standard characterization they've used for him since the Wolverine
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

BANNED

That's literally just how Wolverine is, and it makes no sense to have a movie that's hyped up as his return and he's completely different.

That's literally just how Wolverine is, and it makes no sense to have a movie that's hyped up as his return and he's completely different.
    It's not just how he is, he's more than that. I'm not saying he should be completely different I'm saying it's limiting to have this very specific characterization for him in all his recent appearances when he can have a little growth and depth. But yeah it's what audiences are used to I guess, to me it's just a retread and I'd like to see something a little new than just more cashing in on familiarity and recognizability
    They/Them

BANNED

That's just Wolverine in general, brooding loner tortured is literally his whole deal.
    Changing that just doesn't make sense, especially when he's about to be in a duo with Deadpool of all people.

I will see the movie but I'm curious as to why they prioritized all the sequences where it's using rated r language constantly. It's like the studio always wants to telegraph that the Deadpool character is so edgy and constantly saying things that are body parts related and drugs related.

...Why waste Cassandra Nova on a comedy release? Just curious. She could have been a substantive "Serious" villain for the eventual "real" X-Men movies in the MCU.

Why is Cassandra Nova being wasted in a comedy film? She could have been a great foe for the “real” X-Men movie for the eventual MCU films.

I will see the movie but I’m curious as to why they prioritized all the sequences where it’s using rated r language constantly. It’s like the studio always wants to telegraph that the Deadpool character is so edgy and constantly saying things that are body parts related and drugs related. “It's so cool! It's rated R! And by the way, they say rated R Stuff! You have to want to see this!!"

so is Ben Affleck there as Daredevil?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I will see the movie but I'm curious as to why they prioritized all the sequences where it's using rated r language constantly. It's like the studio always wants to telegraph that the Deadpool character is so edgy and constantly saying things that are body parts related and drugs related.

...Why waste Cassandra Nova on a comedy release? Just curious. She could have been a substantive "Serious" villain for the eventual "real" X-Men movies in the MCU.

Why is Cassandra Nova being wasted in a comedy film? She could have been a great foe for the “real” X-Men movie for the eventual MCU films.

I will see the movie but I’m curious as to why they prioritized all the sequences where it’s using rated r language constantly. It’s like the studio always wants to telegraph that the Deadpool character is so edgy and constantly saying things that are body parts related and drugs related. “It's so cool! It's rated R! And by the way, they say rated R Stuff! You have to want to see this!!"

so is Ben Affleck there as Daredevil?
    Cassandra Nova is a crap villain, all things considered. I don't see much of a loss with her being in this movie, as opposed to an X-men movie. They have dozens of better villains to chose from.

Cassandra Nova is Professor X's evil twin who's an alien ghost. She could never be a "great foe".

Extraordinary Member

I’d add that I don’t think this is actually a “comedy release” - I suspect that Wolverine’s part of the story is probably just going to be straight forward action and drama, and that Deadpool will get the comedy treatment akin to his first film, where it’s *mostly* comedy...except for when it suddenly gets very serious for a while to milk audience investment in the funny man’s problems, then go back to comedy after the resolution.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    I’d add that I don’t think this is actually a “comedy release” - I suspect that Wolverine’s part of the story is probably just going to be straight forward action and drama, and that Deadpool will get the comedy treatment akin to his first film, where it’s *mostly* comedy...except for when it suddenly gets very serious for a while to milk audience investment in the funny man’s problems, then go back to comedy after the resolution.
    It's a buddy cop film .

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's a buddy cop film .
    Bingo.
    Glad someone said it outloud.
    48 Hours/Tango&Cash/Lethal Weapon/Bad Boys/Rush Hour/Shanghai Noon
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

That's just Wolverine in general, brooding loner tortured is literally his whole deal.
    Changing that just doesn't make sense, especially when he's about to be in a duo with Deadpool of all people.
    Except I'm not advocating for changing it, I'm saying that it's the exact same characterization for 3-4 movies and it's tiring. A character doesn't need to be completely changed when given some new material to work with. All I'm saying is Logan should have more depth than the standard "go **** yourself" Wolverine we've seen for 4 movies. It worked in Logan but now I want a more traditional Wolverine. It's fine if you disagree
    They/Them

Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron View Post
    Except I'm not advocating for changing it, I'm saying that it's the exact same characterization for 3-4 movies and it's tiring. A character doesn't need to be completely changed when given some new material to work with. All I'm saying is Logan should have more depth than the standard "go **** yourself" Wolverine we've seen for 4 movies. It worked in Logan but now I want a more traditional Wolverine. It's fine if you disagree
    I don't know if that's so far removed from traditional Wolverine when he's in a bad mood.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't know if that's so far removed from traditional Wolverine when he's in a bad mood.
    Wolverine is not a reluctant hero in the comics. The notion of him being this brooding drinking loner who cusses people out isn't non existent but it was heavily utilized and popularized by the Fox movies. Traditional Wolvie is a team player with a heart of gold despite his moods and his trauma. All I'm saying is it would be nice to see more of that in these movies than the exact same characterization we always see from Jackman's Wolverine. It's not asking for any sort of radical change. No one character should be the exact same for multiple franchise installments, at a certain point development and growth needs to happen. Even the mainstream 616 Wolverine has gone through different stages of development at many points. He's an a-hole archetype, but not actually an a-hole.
    Last edited by James Cameron; 04-23-2024 at 07:57 AM.
    They/Them

Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron View Post
    Wolverine is not a reluctant hero in the comics. The notion of him being this brooding drinking loner who cusses people out isn't non existent but it was heavily utilized and popularized by the Fox movies. Traditional Wolvie is a team player with a heart of gold despite his moods and his trauma. All I'm saying is it would be nice to see more of that in these movies than the exact same characterization we always see from Jackman's Wolverine. It's not asking for any sort of radical change. No one character should be the exact same for multiple franchise installments, at a certain point development and growth needs to happen. Even the mainstream 616 Wolverine has gone through different stages of development at many points. He's an a-hole archetype, but not actually an a-hole.
    He was kind of in that place in X3 and presumably in the post-DoFP timeline but I think something really bad happened to this Wolverine (if not the events of the X-Men's death in Logan).