Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron View Post
    Except I'm not advocating for changing it, I'm saying that it's the exact same characterization for 3-4 movies and it's tiring. A character doesn't need to be completely changed when given some new material to work with. All I'm saying is Logan should have more depth than the standard "go **** yourself" Wolverine we've seen for 4 movies. It worked in Logan but now I want a more traditional Wolverine. It's fine if you disagree
    A thing to note is that there's a possibility this movie could set-up a more traditional Wolverine being heartbroken over the loss of his team, with flashbacks showing him as the grumpy but sincere team player the films only occasionally touched on, and then he could end up meeting the MCUverse X-Men and getting to play his more traditional role one more time. His usage of a more comic-style costume and his seeming touchiness about losing his team could play differently than Logan.

The way the film interacts with the mainline MCUverse is still unknown, after all.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

He is probably mad, because he died and now isn't...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    He was kind of in that place in X3 and presumably in the post-DoFP timeline but I think something really bad happened to this Wolverine (if not the events of the X-Men's death in Logan).
    He's like that in every movie up til now. That's my whole point.

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    A thing to note is that there's a possibility this movie could set-up a more traditional Wolverine being heartbroken over the loss of his team, with flashbacks showing him as the grumpy but sincere team player the films only occasionally touched on, and then he could end up meeting the MCUverse X-Men and getting to play his more traditional role one more time. His usage of a more comic-style costume and his seeming touchiness about losing his team could play differently than Logan.

The way the film interacts with the mainline MCUverse is still unknown, after all.
    Right, this is the trajectory for Jackman's Wolverine in almost all the X-Men movies. He's introduced as the brooding loner, standoffish, drinking and swearing all the time, is persuaded to join some heroic effort and saves the day, comes around by the end and his warmer/softer side shows. Rinse and repeat. So yeah, we may get to see the traditional elements in this but it's once again part of his character arc instead of being ingrained within him at the beginning. Logan was a great character study that took this trope and made it the driving force of the movie, and it was a great ending- highly emotional and epic, like an epic western. So to bring Wolverine back just to have that same characterization? Yawn. And it was the same thing in DOFP, the Wolverine, even the very first X-Men. Like, we all know that Wolverine is more than this right?
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

He's like that in every movie up til now. That's my whole point.
    But again I feel like he wasn't so much in that place in X3. We just never got to really see him with the team again outside DoFP where he was very much a team player.
    Right, this is the trajectory for Jackman's Wolverine in almost all the X-Men movies. He's introduced as the brooding loner, standoffish, drinking and swearing all the time, is persuaded to join some heroic effort and saves the day, comes around by the end and his warmer/softer side shows. Rinse and repeat. So yeah, we may get to see the traditional elements in this but it's once again part of his character arc instead of being ingrained within him at the beginning. Logan was a great character study that took this trope and made it the driving force of the movie, and it was a great ending- highly emotional and epic, like an epic western. So to bring Wolverine back just to have that same characterization? Yawn. And it was the same thing in DOFP, the Wolverine, even the very first X-Men. Like, we all know that Wolverine is more than this right?
    In context I think it makes sense coming off Logan and this probably being one last hurrah for this iteration of the character.

But again I feel like he wasn't so much in that place in X3. We just never got to really see him with the team again outside DoFP where he was very much a team player.

In context I think it makes sense coming off Logan and this probably being one last hurrah for this iteration of the character.
    In the context of what?

We got so cheated with that DOFP ending...
    They/Them

The video game also went with the bar imagery, although we'll have to wait and see the rest of the game to see where it goes.

I'd at least like at some point to see his relationship with Nightcrawler in a film; think the closest we ever got to any real interaction was Wolverine telling him to shut up after they met in X2 for a second.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

In the context of what?

We got so cheated with that DOFP ending...
    In the context of a Wolverine who just lost his entire friends and family.

Extraordinary Member

In the context of what?
    I think context may be the biggest deal here.

Personally, I regard Logan's time as a straightforward protagonist over thanks to Logan, and would thus find a simple "last hurrah" to be redundant, and would probably share some of James Cameron's disinterest if that was the case.

...But if the idea is that Jackman's back to pass the torch and transition the X-Franchise to the MCU as its connective tissue, where he's back after his finale so that he can introduce the new X-Men of the MCU to the audience and inspire them to go public in-story... that changes things significantly.

Then its less about just doing a greatest hits cash-in on the familiar story, and more about positively using legacy and nostalgia for resonant dramatic effect.

I am of course just speculating, but that would be what I'd do with this - especially if they could engineer some method whereby this Wolverine finds and releases an MCU version of himself or X-23 onto that timeline.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

In the context of a Wolverine who just lost his entire friends and family.
    Yeah and I'm saying I have an issue with this type of Wolverine yet again
    They/Them

Think there's still possibly some other Logans in the movie as well given the multiverse/TVA connection.

The first trailer did seem to hint at Patch, although it's possible it's "this" Wolverine.

Kind of wonder, what about the Wolverine from the FC/Apocalypse/Dark Pheonix timeline that DOFP Wolverine mentally replaced when he returned to the present?

Is there any explanation for that, maybe like that for the BTTF films, that after the initial shock at the end of the first film, Marty McFly's memories adjusted to the changes in the timeline's present (although he presumably still remembered the original as well?)
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 04-23-2024 at 12:50 PM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Yeah and I'm saying I have an issue with this type of Wolverine yet again
    But coming off of Logan it makes sense to address that and we'll probably see him grow out of it over the course of teaming-up with Wade.

But coming off of Logan it makes sense to address that and we'll probably see him grow out of it over the course of teaming-up with Wade.
    We're going in circles Frontier. I addressed all of that and I clearly disagree with you, what more needs to be said?
    They/Them

We're going in circles Frontier. I addressed all of that and I clearly disagree with you, what more needs to be said?
    Well, I guess we have to agree to disagree. I think we're going to see more of the Wolverine you want later in the film.

Well, I guess we have to agree to disagree. I think we're going to see more of the Wolverine you want later in the film.
    And I'm saying the trajectory of him being sour and bitter in the beginning and becoming softer and more of a team player later on is what happens in most movies he appears in, and it's tiring. So you may be right but I'm still disappointed
    They/Them

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

According to the IMDB page, Jennifer Garner's Elektra is also in the movie! I knew they couldn't ignore the greatest superhero movie ever made forever!
    Assassinate Putin!