Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Yeah, the back-up in Classic X-Men #1 really is pretty lousy. Chiefly for the retcon of "Jean's always had an animal attraction to Wolverine and loved him the most," but Bobby's characterization is a close second. It really was an exercise in making the OG X-Men (at least Warren and Bobby) look shitty to prop up the ANAD X-Men. Thunderbird's characterization is even retconned. Maybe if that was a glimpse of how he had would have written the character, he may have had Bobby grow out of it. Because his interactions with Colossus in Inferno and Mutant Genesis, as small as they are, are not hostile. Or maybe by that point he was just being nice to Iceman because Simonson was writing/had written him. I agree that if he never really had any interest in Bobby, it wouldn't be worth the risk for the character to see Claremont take a crack at him anyway.

Claremont's opinions can't be changed, nor should they, so it all worked out for the best. Still kind of a shame that a writer of his caliber (back at his peak) didn't see potential in Bobby or Warren, when their history with the team and interacting with the shifting dynamics could have resulted in a lot of interesting stuff.

I think he wanted to use Beast in X-Treme X-Men, but Morrison called dibs. That's why Hank vanishes after like three issues
    Claremont’s Warren only didn’t get along with Logan. He got along fine with all of the other all new all different X-Men.
    Bobby on the other hand…..jeez. I wonder did Claremont see Bobby as a mouthpiece for the fan complainers of the new X-Men who only liked the 05.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Claremont’s Warren only didn’t get along with Logan. He got along fine with all of the other all new all different X-Men.
    Bobby on the other hand…..jeez. I wonder did Claremont see Bobby as a mouthpiece for the fan complainers of the new X-Men who only liked the 05.
    There were seriously people like that once upon a time?? Talk about extinct fandoms.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    There were seriously people like that once upon a time?? Talk about extinct fandoms.
    Read some of those early Claremont issue fan response letters in the back.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    He did have Warren act hostile towards Logan for flirting with Jean after he (Warren) just got done hitting on Storm. Making Warren come across as petty and jealous (because he himself used to be one of Jean's suitors even if he "lost" to Scott), retconning the nature of the hostility between them. Whereas in canon up until that point, Warren had the reasonable reaction that Logan was dangerous and didn't trust him.

It's not as bad as how he wrote Bobby and Claremont otherwise wrote Warren fine. He did write him out of the book after Byrne left because he found him boring though (or that he didn't have much to do in the book cuz of his powerset).

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    I imagine the sales for X-Factor had to come from somewhere.
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 10-03-2022 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    Given that you could count the times Iceman showed up in the various Claremont runs on the fingers of Nightcrawler's hand, I think it's safe to say Chris never found him particularly interesting. It's funny because throughout the course of his career he used the original X-Men to various degrees - eventually even finding roles for Alex and Lorna, but Bobby always seemed to elude him.
    I'm sure if Claremont really wanted to use Iceman in (Uncanny) X-Men, editorial would have allowed it, but wasn't Iceman usually tried up in Champions or Defenders during much of Claremont's run? And then he ended up on X-Factor later on not even being written by Claremont anyway.
    Last edited by Uncanny Mutie; 10-04-2022 at 08:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Surprised Angel showed up more than Bobby and Warren blows.
    LOL, agreed. I always thought the same, but I heard that BYRNE was the one who pushed for Warren to be brought back to the team. Makes since, because Warren was gone pretty much as soon as Byrne left.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    LOL, agreed. I always thought the same, but I heard that BYRNE was the one who pushed for Warren to be brought back to the team. Makes since, because Warren was gone pretty much as soon as Byrne left.
    Correct, I recall reading it was Byrne who continued sneaking the original X-Men into his run... but over the years Claremont certainly showed some affinity for Beast and Archangel - both were included in his "Revolution" rosters and the former was also a member in X-Men Forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Probably the reason I’m not into Bobby is that Claremont never gave him a personality, so he’s still basically Cold Johnny Storm and someone tagged “gay” in there as an adjective later.
    LOL, Hard to disagree with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    LOL, Hard to disagree with that.
    Apart from making jokes (and not even the sames jokes, as Johnny's are more bravado as far as I know) and being young white twinks what do they have in common ?