Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Chris Claremont and Iceman

Has Claremont ever gone on record speaking about Iceman? Either from excluding him from his run or opinions after his coming out. Thanks!
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

BANNED

Try asking him on facebook or instagram. He's often responsive.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I heard he didn't like Iceman, that someone said he actually said it but don't go by me. It could just be a rumor. It's too bad if it's true. I like Claremont's writing and I like Iceman.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Yeah, get it from the man himself.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Given that you could count the times Iceman showed up in the various Claremont runs on the fingers of Nightcrawler's hand, I think it's safe to say Chris never found him particularly interesting. It's funny because throughout the course of his career he used the original X-Men to various degrees - eventually even finding roles for Alex and Lorna, but Bobby always seemed to elude him.

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    Has Claremont ever gone on record speaking about Iceman? Either from excluding him from his run or opinions after his coming out. Thanks!
    I remember a twitter thread i think of a guy who asked him about the coming out at a convention. His answer was basically "haven't read it, but I'm sure it was garbage" XD
    I read interviews where he didn't like defining a character's sexuality, prefering the ambiguity. But he also got on record saying editorial prevented him to out several characters so...

I don't hink he cares much about gay males anyways but that's my completely biased assumption on him XD

He def seemed to have no interest in the character. Which, tbf, there’s some ok iceman material like his first mini and some of X factor in the 80s, but he wasn’t really well defined as a character till Lobdell IMO.

Fantastic Member

I sort of remember Byrne saying something on his forum that Claremont liked using the new characters, and Byrne was the one trying to sneak the originals back into the title, like how Angel turned up. It sounded like one of the things they disagreed about.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    What facebook page is it?

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Surprised Angel showed up more than Bobby and Warren blows.
    "Cable was right!"

Probably the reason I’m not into Bobby is that Claremont never gave him a personality, so he’s still basically Cold Johnny Storm and someone tagged “gay” in there as an adjective later.

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    What facebook page is it?
    He's chrisclearmountain on instagram, and I've chatted with him on the "Chris Claremont fan club" on facebook, which he posts on as "Chris Claremont".
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Artists love to draw Warren. He's a super-handsome guy with wings, what's not to like?

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Byrne was the one that wanted him, and Warren was gone almost as soon as he left

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I think the only OG X-Men Claremont had any affinity for were Scott, Jean and Hank. I get the feeling Claremont would have used Beast much more than he did if he had access to him more regularly, whereas I don't think he'd use Angel or Iceman even if they weren't in Defenders or whatever. And then of course Alex and Lorna got roles towards the end of his run.

It's a shame too. Claremont's the biggest and most influential run for the franchise, so Iceman being one of the big name X-Men and not getting a role in this run makes it feel like something's missing, same with Angel and Beast only getting rare appearances. Honestly, I would have rather seen an arc for Bobby than read about Dazzler and Longshot. Makes me wonder what he would have done with Bobby and Warren if the Claremont/Lee run reached until #300 like originally intended.