Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default X-Men #15 Review *spoilers*

"Collapse Theory"

We open with the preview pages. Forge leads Cyclops to the Vault and shows him his big gun. He explains that this is Project Blackbox and the gun will fire a baby black hole when the Vault opens, which will collapse and end the Children. Cyclops questions the extermination of hundreds of thousands. The Vault suddenly opens and the gun misfires.

The Children emerge and quickly overwhelm the two mutants. Forge loses a hand, Fuego's flames absorb and redirect Cyclops' optic blast. The Children are greatly evolved and extremely powerful. Cyclops is killed. A series of panels...

The Children are on Krakoa wasting the mutants. Colossus is brutally killed. Krakoa falls less than a day after the Vault opened.
    NYC is burning and we're told the Avengers went down swinging. Ghost Rider is killed by Fuego.
    The Children kill the Fantastic Four. Sangre drowns Thing, Fuego kills Johnny, Reed is dead on the ground, Serafina snaps Sue's neck. Did I mention they have greatly evolved?
    Earth's mystics lasted the longest and Latveria was the last stand of mankind. Clea and Doom are killed.
    The Children are insatiable and now they're on Asgard, having killed everyone and eating a feast on top of Thor's dead body.

Forge, narrating, tells us all of this happened. We see a flashback of Forge and Xavier privately meeting in the woods at night in the recent past. They're sharing a drink (scotch?), Xavier pouring it using his TK. It has become stronger after resurrection. Interesting. They discuss the containment of the Children.

Forge is leading Cyclops through the jungle to the Vault again, same panels as the opening page. This time we see what Project Blackbox really is.

He created a bio-dome "hack", a reality that activated as the Children exited the Vault. Their takeover of Earth and Asgard was a simulation that they believe to be real. The X-Men join them outside the dome as Forge tells them they'll be needed to handle the Vault's protecters while Forge goes inside.

It's a rescue mission for Darwin!

Magik explains to Firestar that Synch wanted to sit this one out (bummer!) and took monitor duty.

Forge puts on that strange suit we've seen, which Jean senses is co-opting Mystique's powers. The team fights the sentries guarding the Vault while Forge morphs into Ferro and steps into the red dome, which is a gate so only mutants can enter and exit. He changes back to his regular appearance as it seems everything is calm. His simulation has caught some of the Children.

As Forge is entering the Vault, he tells Caliban to wake up. That is indeed Caliban's face on his suit! Caliban is confused - last thing he remembers he was at the Red Lagoon with Forge. Forge tells him it's a long story which he'll tell him during their long trip. Forge tells him this will be easy, a "milk run" because nobody knows they're inside. Caliban will of course be assisting with the tracking and locating of Darwin.

But someone is watching him enter the Vault, a mysterious diamond looking woman (Serafina?).
    Last edited by JB; 09-28-2022 at 04:15 PM.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Bummed we only got one panel of him but Synch is clearly being set up to be the cavalry. One-man rescue team.

Poor Caliban.

This was probably my favorite of Duggan's issues so far. It had a cool Morrison/Hickman vibe, I can't resist.

Extraordinary Member

The whole 'this is how the enemy army would conquer Krakoa and then the world if we went with Plan A so it's a good thing we're not doing that' thing felt fresher when they did it in X of Swords with Wolverine and Saturnyne. It's not that it's bad, it's just that when I read it I go, 'oh, they're doing this again.'

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    This was probably my favorite of Duggan's issues so far. It had a cool Morrison/Hickman vibe, I can't resist.
    I enjoyed it a lot too. A nice buildup for the coming crescendo fight which I think will be very intense.

I really enjoyed this one too. I want more Firestar though. Can't wait for the Annual.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Astonishing Member Cyclone_Ablaze's Avatar

This was REALLY GOOD.

We get to see why Forge is considered to be an Omega Lvl. This man is dangerous. I was a bit confused on why he was wearing Calliban(that’s kinda messed up) Forge pulling a Moira. But I get though. This was very Good. I hope Darwin isn’t too pissed off and becomes an Enemy. ;-(
    Last edited by Cyclone_Ablaze; 09-28-2022 at 06:31 AM.

Sounds rad. About to check it out.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Waitamin, i just asked this question the other day.
    Some one told me that Darwin was dead, so he's still in there!!!

Quote Originally Posted by IN-a-Synch View Post

Waitamin, i just asked this question the other day.
    Some one told me that Darwin was dead, so he's still in there!!!
    I had thought he was captured but others said he was dead so I was unsure! Glad to know he's in there.

Forge looked really hot in this issue.

Agreeing with everyone else, this issue was really good. Duggan seems to be struggling with teams, which is why Marauders and X-Men have been largely disappointing for me. But stuff like this, some of the spotlight issues, and Planet-Sized show me that he shines when given a different scope.

Also, one of Forge's quotes caught my eye. It reminded me of BobbyWorld's Threshold theory.

"The fourth generation of the Vault proved beyond any measure that there is nothing you cannot overcome with enough patience and time."
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    The whole 'this is how the enemy army would conquer Krakoa and then the world if we went with Plan A so it's a good thing we're not doing that' thing felt fresher when they did it in X of Swords with Wolverine and Saturnyne. It's not that it's bad, it's just that when I read it I go, 'oh, they're doing this again.'
    Not to forget that this kind of hype up attempt will only make it all the more awkward when they are eventualy defeated/annihilated in a sudden matter either in this or an upcomming story. Simply because they are a one note enemy faction with zero personality/ies and no lasting grounding in the wider Marvel Universe.

As such there is little to protect them from eventualy being taken out either because nobody knows what to do with them but make the heros look strong, or to prop up a new or old villain.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    I'd say this is much better than that if only because X of Swords is much worse as a comic than Duggans run has been.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Nice write up, Jbenito. Can't wait to read it after work.
    "Cable was right!"

So Xavier is showing more telekinetic skill I see…how annoying.