Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Your list of the Scariest Movies of All Time

With Jared posting his annual 31 Horrid Days thread for watching scary movies through the month of October, I thought it would be fun for everyone to list their favorite scary movies.

The list can include horror, creepy, monster-related, supernatural, suspenseful, sci-fy - anything that scares the bejeebees out of you.

The list can be top 10, top 20 or 25, top 50 - however many films you want to list.

Also, the list should be ranked by how much you like them, not by how scary they are. It's your favorite films.

So let's see your lists.

Astonishing Member

First, Haunting of Hill House. When I was a kid, two Disney flics:
    1. Darby O'Gill and the Leprechauns. The Banshee freaked me out.
    2. The cartoon Disney Sleepy Hollow - the Headless Horseman - same thing.

No other movies really scare me.

TV - though. The old Thriller show where ghosts came out of mirrors with William Shatner IIRC. Scared of mirrors! Buffy - the Hush episode, that scared me as a grown up.

Some other movies give me starts and startles but not real fear. Real fear is not turning off the lights after seeing the show and trying to go to bed.

Extraordinary Member

Mine

1 jaws 1975
    2 jurassic park 1993
    3 the shining 1980
    4 poltergeist 1982
    5 signs 2002
    6 terminator 1984
    7 the ring 2002
    8 rosemary's baby 1968
    9 scream 1996
    10 predator 1987
    11 sinister 2012
    12 joy ride 2001
    13 silence of the lambs 1991
    14 paranormal activity 2007
    15 stephen king's it 1990
    16 psycho 1960
    17 the exorcist 1973
    18 the changeling 1980
    19 pet semetary 1989
    20 halloween 1978
    21 the village 2004
    22 the amityville horror 1979
    23 the conjuring 2013
    24 the blair witch project 1999
    25 the omen 1976
    26 a nightmare on elm street 1984
    27 it follows 2014
    28 Friday the 13th 1980
    29 cujo 1983
    30 tremors 1990
    31 wrong turn 2003
    32 texas chainsaw massacre 1974
    33 alien 1979
    34 the evil dead 1981
    35 salem's lot 1979
    36 the thing 1982
    37 silver bullet 1985
    38 the howling 1981
    39 a quiet place 2018
    40 the birds 1963

I would say Jaws tops my list. Never scared like that in a movie theater. Maybe Alien is second.
    When I was a wee lad, the scariest movie I saw was Black Sabbath by Mario Brava.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I like horror movies but they don't scare me I never really understood how people get scared watching them.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    I like horror movies but they don't scare me I never really understood how people get scared watching them.
    Well, let's see your list of favorite scary movies. Even if they don't really scare you. LOL

The film that scared me the most upon seeing it was the original Nightmare on Elm Street.

I was about 5 when it came out and my siblings were teenagers and took me to see it. It scared me and that night I had a nightmare with Freddy in it I ran to my mum's bed screaming "Freddy's Coming for Me" my mum is like "Honey it was a dream" I'm like "I know and Freddy's coming". My mother wanted to kill my siblings that night. Wasn't until I saw Robert out of makeup and realized he was Willie from V that I was no longer scared of Freddy.

Most of them I've gotten over due to time, but one that still manages to scare me is Suspiria (1977). This October I'm going to watch the remake. What fascinates me about the original is the mystery aspect. Throughout the entire movie, you are left guessing and have no idea who to trust. And lots of the movie is troubling.

I'll add a couple of others as honorable mentions - Night of the Demon (1957), Psycho (1960) and Satan's School for Girls (1973). The latter is the movie that inspired Suspiria.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 09-28-2022 at 02:00 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Most of them I've gotten over due to time, but one that still manages to scare me is Suspiria (1977). This October I'm going to watch the remake. What fascinates me about the original is the mystery aspect. Throughout the entire movie, you are left guessing and have no idea who to trust. And lots of the movie is troubling.

I'll add a couple of others as honorable mentions - Night of the Demon (1957), Psycho (1960) and Satan's School for Girls (1973). The latter is the movie that inspired Suspiria.
    Jaws scared me so bad that I wouldn't swim in a POOL or the ocean for a year.

Poltergeist scared the bejeebees out of me for sure.

The Shining and Sinister both gave me the absolute creeps.

And I slept with the light on for a couple of days after watching Paranormal Activity. But I didn't care because I loved it.

Barneys great adventure. Scariest film ever!

Joking.

1. Darby O'Gill and the Leprechauns. The Banshee freaked me out.
    Me too. It used to air on disney channel in the 80s and i found that part creepy! Watcher in the woods and return to oz had some creepy parts also!

Not a movie but as a preschooler the burt in egypt scene scared me as a kid. As an adult I see it as a funny abbot and Castillio meets Frankenstein spoof but as a preschooler it creeped me out!

Others did also as they edited it years later to be less scary to kids!

Uncut version.

It Follows got to me.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Jaws scared me so bad that I wouldn't swim in a POOL or the ocean for a year.

Poltergeist scared the bejeebees out of me for sure.

The Shining and Sinister both gave me the absolute creeps.

And I slept with the light on for a couple of days after watching Paranormal Activity. But I didn't care because I loved it.
    Yah Jaws really put fear in me for a while of any water body. I like to feel that I am over it but just this past July I was on a day cruise to the Channel Islands and a 15-foot great white surfaced and swam slowly by the boat. Even from the safety of the big boat there was a serious tingle that went down my spine and I was very happy to not be in the water.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 09-28-2022 at 09:01 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Ultimate Member

Nightmare on Elm Street (I don’t think anything has affected me like that movie).
    IT (the TV movie/series)
    The Exorcist (I was from a religious home, I need not say more)
    An American Werewolf in London (they said it was a horror comedy, as a kid I didn’t find it funny at all)
    The Fly
    Michael Jackson’s Thriller
    The Thing (John Carpenter’s version)
    Hellraiser 2

Arrow

Movies that are uncomfortable for me to watch (in part or in whole) is my criteria. Here is my top ten list in no particular order -

The Exorcist
    The Blob (1988)
    The Fly (1986)
    The Thing (1982)
    Cannibal Holocaust
    Splinter (2007)
    Amityville II The Possession
    Night of the Living Dead (1968)
    Alien
    Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1977)
    Last edited by Celgress; 09-28-2022 at 10:20 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

Forgot about Jaws but it didn't scare me as much as startle me with the first big shark appearance to the three amigos on the too small boat. Night of the Demon was scary.

To me, there is a distinction between a big startle and something that is profoundly scary and make me want to sleep with a cross, bible or other supernatural defenses. Things that I can shoot, regular scary - not metaphysically scary.