Default What's your "I just had to have all of them" comics collecting moment?

Looking for that time where you "just had to have all of them" moment where you found yourself dedicated/obsessed with completing a collection of comics. Whether it was a famous run, or cross over event with all the tie ins, or the complete series of something.

Let's hear it, this is a safe space!

I had a couple just had to have them all oments.

The first was when I was 12. my dad got me a copy of SuperPro #1 from the 7-11. I read it, It had Football, Spiderman Cool NFL type costume. I was blown away. I had to have each copy. I am rereading it now and I have to say at 41 it is not as good as my 12 year old self remembers but I still loove it.

The second was for the 40 issue run of Gotham Central. When I was in prison they had a loan system where you could get books from outside libraries and Graphic novels and trades were included in this. A box of little Debbies to the inmate that processed the requests to put mine to the top of the list and I got all kinds of comics. One of them was some trades of Gotham Central. I loved what I was reading. A batman comic that hardly had batman but rather focused on the rank and file police. When I got out I hunted down all of the issues. Favorite run of the series was the arc with Harvey B and The Penguin.

The 3rd one was my complete run of West Coast Avengers. It had Hawkeye as the team leader and I could not pass that up. And the issues were not very expensive so I was able to get the run pretty quickly.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

For me it's Marvel's Epic Collections.

For some reason I stopped buying and reading comics for ~15 years. When I moved to London about 4 years ago I became interested again in comic books, and I think the MCU movies also helped in that.

I initially tried digital comics but found out that I really prefer physical and saw that the Marvel Epic Collections were basically my preferred way to collect "everything", so I'm trying to get all Epics for Spider-Man, X-Men, Captain America, Avengers and Iron Man. There's some OCD involved, something I think all collectors have

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I had a couple just had to have them all oments.

The first was when I was 12. my dad got me a copy of SuperPro #1 from the 7-11. I read it, It had Football, Spiderman Cool NFL type costume. I was blown away. I had to have each copy. I am rereading it now and I have to say at 41 it is not as good as my 12 year old self remembers but I still loove it.

The second was for the 40 issue run of Gotham Central. When I was in prison they had a loan system where you could get books from outside libraries and Graphic novels and trades were included in this. A box of little Debbies to the inmate that processed the requests to put mine to the top of the list and I got all kinds of comics. One of them was some trades of Gotham Central. I loved what I was reading. A batman comic that hardly had batman but rather focused on the rank and file police. When I got out I hunted down all of the issues. Favorite run of the series was the arc with Harvey B and The Penguin.

The 3rd one was my complete run of West Coast Avengers. It had Hawkeye as the team leader and I could not pass that up. And the issues were not very expensive so I was able to get the run pretty quickly.
    I've never read Gotham Central but keep seeing it on recommended lists. After reading your post, I might have to buy the Omnibus now!

Quote Originally Posted by hyped78 View Post
    I've never read Gotham Central but keep seeing it on recommended lists. After reading your post, I might have to buy the Omnibus now!
    Do it! I have to say they are some of the best comics DC put out.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Do it! I have to say they are some of the best comics DC put out.
    I'm "ashamed" to say I've just pulled the trigger on the Omni, ordered from Amazon. Thanks for the tip

For me, it would definitely be The Batman Adventures
    I was so enamored with anything that had to do with BTAS/Dini/Timm back in the early '90s, that I simply had to have it ALL!!

Last edited by K7P5V; 10-07-2022 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by tib2d2 View Post
    Looking for that time where you "just had to have all of them" moment where you found yourself dedicated/obsessed with completing a collection of comics. Whether it was a famous run, or cross over event with all the tie ins, or the complete series of something.

Let's hear it, this is a safe space!
    Everything Earth 3. It's one of my favorite Elseworlds. Nothing could top it until White Knight came along.

I just recently purchased the only issue of ALL-STAR SQUADRON that was missing from my collection, #45, the one where Liberty Belle leaves the team. (She returns in the next issue.)
    So now I have all 67 regular issues, plus the 3 annuals. Next up is completing my SUPERBOY AND THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES run.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Quote Originally Posted by hyped78 View Post
    I'm "ashamed" to say I've just pulled the trigger on the Omni, ordered from Amazon. Thanks for the tip
    Let me know what you think.

Astonishing Member

Everything x-related (except for Deadpool). Because of the cost, the only x-titles I'm missing are the 60s X-Men and some from the '70s. But I got copies of those from trades and the X-Men Classic series.

Watchmen when it was originally published back in the 80’s.
    I recall picking up issue #7 and going back to my LCS the next day to get the back issues and request they pull the new ones to hold for me as the came in.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Extraordinary Member

It’s the same moment that got me into comics in the first place - passing a rack in an antique mall that had the Reign of the Supermen comics, the ones with the S-Shields and a free poster.

I only bought 2 that first time, then got the rest, and wound up getting a rough, all second-hand collection of the Return Of Superman arc.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Everything x-related (except for Deadpool). Because of the cost, the only x-titles I'm missing are the 60s X-Men and some from the '70s. But I got copies of those from trades and the X-Men Classic series.
    Wow, that is quite a bit of issues! How many do you think you're up to total?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by tib2d2 View Post
    Wow, that is quite a bit of issues! How many do you think you're up to total?
    I over 5,000 x-titles but my comic book collection is over 62,000.