View Poll Results: Are you interested in what Peter did?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I must know!

7 13.21%
  • No, I just want this over with.

46 86.79%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by IamnotJudasTraveller View Post
    Ironically enough, I myself never cared for the Kindred mystery. When people do these big mystery identity plots in comics, they always plant a boatload of obvious clues and then swerve real hard at the end. The guessing game is hopelessly stacked against the reader, since the house not only tends to always win, but it's fiction, so they can literally throw ANYTHING they want at you! From day one, I expected it to just pivot into Kindred being actually Flash (dead at the time) or Gwen, just to be an even more unexpected "gotcha" (no pun intended). I'd have been very, very happy to cut my losses and congratulate Spencer on playing it straight when he literally recycled half of an One More Day issue to make his point.

Then he did what he did and it wasn't straightforward at all. But god damn if the man didn't turn it into a trainwreck with gusto. It's not Harry, it's AI Harry and also the Stacy Twins... sorta? Kinda?

I was a solid 2 for this when the MGP (mysterious glowy person) showed at the end of Beyond, and the talk about losing someone and trying to bring "her" back put me at 5, but with all that above and just what an absolute clusterf*ck Hobgoblin was (also, remember FACADE? Anyone?), I quickly waned off to 3/4. Big mysteries with Spidey tend to almost always be an anticlimax.

The funny thing about the Clone Saga's own mystery was that Harras decided to lengthen the thing so much that I literally figured it out. I was racking my brain over the details and it didn't fit, what with Seward being so earnest in helping Ben. Then just so many months went by that thinking about it, it hit me that he was doing it because he was ordered to. Whaddayaknow?

I was convinced Gaunt was Toomes, though (the Vulture had disappeared for a little bit from the books, and how he wouldn't shut up about life was straight out of Lifetheft) and I was guessing the employer was Mysterio because of the purple gloves. Then, about 2 weeks before I could read the conclusion, The Internet™ spoiled me that Osborn was back. So I was like "I'm like 14 and this is my first longterm mystery plot, I'm gonna say I figured out enough".
    Hey, you’re the same age as me! I was also 14 when the CS wrapped (God, I feel old…).

I thought the mastermind would either be Norman or perhaps a resurrected Ned Leeds (this was before Hobgoblin Lives retconned the original HG to be Kingsley). I was sure Gaunt was Harry, and remember being disappointed that it was some villain named Mendel Stromm I had never heard of before. As for the Norman revelation… I didn’t even have the internet at home in 1996. I could use it occasionally at school but wasn’t really aware of fandom sites or message boards yet. So the comics did reveal it to me, but being a kid with only allowance money, I could only afford a few issues a month and had to wait until PP:SM#75 was out to go to the comic store (I would get ASM #418 as a back issue a month or two later), so seeing him on that awesome cover is how it was revealed to me.

I know it was controversial and plenty of people hated it (with good reason), but to my teenage self the revelation of Norman was one of the only mysteries that lived up to the hype. I wasn’t happy about Ben dying (and not being in costume), but I thought everything related to Peter and Norman’s battle in that issue was great. I still think it’s one of Mackie’s best issues (even though I get the sense it probably had some contributions from other writers). The only other Spidey mystery that I think might’ve lived up to the hype was Venom; first the revelation Peter’s suit was alive, and then the revelation that it was Venom who had been trying to kill Peter for months without setting his spider sense at the time. But I can’t say for sure how satisfying it was for fans at the time as I wasn’t yet reading the comics. But I can imagine it was cool.

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    ...Also, loser Peter is worst Peter and I hate it...
    Testify, I couldn't agree more.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I am curious to an extent, but at this point I just want it over with. Because no matter what it is, it's not going to be worth it.

I mean at least with Kindred it was a mystery that kept unfolding and it was rather enticing. And for the most part, everyone stayed in character. And they payoff was rather big, even if everyone doesn't agree on it.
    Last edited by Aura Blaize; 09-30-2022 at 09:01 PM.

Mighty Member

Unless what Peter did was "Fixed Ben Reilly" I could not care any less.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Unless what Peter did was "Fixed Ben Reilly" I could not care any less.
    So what would be the explosion? Did Ben literally explode of happiness when it happened? .
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    So what would be the explosion? Did Ben literally explode of happiness when it happened? .
    The end of Beyond and all of Wells' run being blasted out of continuity would work just fine for me, personally.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    This legit made me lmao.

Quote Originally Posted by Aura Blaize View Post
    I am curious to an extent, but at this point I just want it over with. Because no matter what it is, it's not going to be worth it.

I mean at least with Kindred it was a mystery that kept unfolding and it was rather enticing. And for the most part, everyone stayed in character. And they payoff was rather big, even if everyone doesn't agree on it.
    Err.. the Kindred thing retconned the "Goblin babies" plot... in a way that made it MUCH worse than the original Goblin babies story though. It actually killed off Sarah Stacy off-panel, then has her reincarnation or something as one of the bad guys.. despite how she actualyl LIKED Peter last time she was seen???

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Err.. the Kindred thing retconned the "Goblin babies" plot... in a way that made it MUCH worse than the original Goblin babies story though. It actually killed off Sarah Stacy off-panel, then has her reincarnation or something as one of the bad guys.. despite how she actualyl LIKED Peter last time she was seen???
    Sarah already tried to kill the guy she worked for, wanted to kill MJ, she heard voices. I don't think Spencer destroyed her, she was like that before.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kanos View Post
    Sarah already tried to kill the guy she worked for, wanted to kill MJ, she heard voices. I don't think Spencer destroyed her, she was like that before.

Fair enough, though at least at that time, she was somewhat struggling against the Goblin/Osborn heritage of madness, whereas Gabe went completely nuts and embraced that heritage.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

BANNED

I am and I am very curious to see how the hell MJ ended up with children in this 6 months gap.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    Jokes? Some were even serious about that once we learned about MJ and Annie's connections to the mutants.
    Guilty as charged... ;p

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Fair enough, though at least at that time, she was somewhat struggling against the Goblin/Osborn heritage of madness, whereas Gabe went completely nuts and embraced that heritage.
    Well,, yeah, this is what I was getting at, sure, she wasn't... all there, but... A: she wasn't dead, and B: she was actually someone you could talk to and reason with. c: last we saw here she was at least trying to do the right thing.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Well,, yeah, this is what I was getting at, sure, she wasn't... all there, but... A: she wasn't dead, and B: she was actually someone you could talk to and reason with. c: last we saw here she was at least trying to do the right thing.
    Yeah, true enough.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

I don't remember, Spencer said that Sarah died after she last met Peter? In any case, she continued to die from cellular degeneration and it would not be surprising if she died. Sarah was friends with Peter and MJ, but like I said, it's no surprise that she went evil again.