View Poll Results: Are you interested in what Peter did?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I must know!

7 13.21%
  • No, I just want this over with.

46 86.79%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

No. I just want this over with. That also goes for this run.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    I don’t know. It has a lot of competition thanks to Slott (not to mention the underwheming endings to both the Kindred saga and Beyond). It’s certainly not a strong run, so far. Would I rather this or Slott? Hmmn… that’s a hard one. At least with Slott, things were a hot mess but never this boring.
    All of the multiple parts and crossovers are a hot mess ( think Spencer’s Last Remains). But not as bad as Wells twin disasters Beyond and Shed. In my humble opinion, Beyond is actually the worst Spider-Man Story since Silk.

I don't expect the payoff to be worth it. It very rarely ever is.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by IamnotJudasTraveller View Post
    The poll could probably use more than just two options, since if we put it in a number analogy it's basically either a "0 or 10".
    I agree. I’m about a 3 or 4 with this mystery. A little intrigued, but less so each passing month. For comparison’s sake, at its peak before it started spinning its wheels, I was about a 7 or 8 for who Kindred was… and way back during the Clone Saga, I was a maximum 10 for who Gaunt’s employer was (masterful tease at the end of Blood Brothers).

Quote Originally Posted by dornwolf View Post
    See this kind of proves my point. When told Spider-man does something so bad everyone hates him this is the kind of thing your mind immediately creates. What in gods name could Wells do that even remotely touches this as an idea.
    Specially considering that, from what I hear, nobody seems to really hate Spidey for, whatever he did, and if so, it seems this was just the solicits exaggerating/lying once again lol.

Edit: I randomly remembered the timeskip after Secret Wars, where characters were saying Cyke did something so, so horrible, and at least once he was compared to Hitler, and then all he did was... Make a change into the Terrigen Mist so they can power up people without killing mutants or somethin' like that, clearly that's the most evil thing he could've done.

To make it even funnier, the writers had to retcon this to say he destroyed the cloud instead of just changing it, and they tried to downplay that the the mist was killing mutants by saying it's just like peanut butter allergy, how they didn't realize that peanut butter allergy can kill people and that they should try to avoid letting people be forced to be near peanut butter is beyond me lol.

So yeah, just like that situation, I can see Marvel completely failing at living up to it, specially if the comics themselves really don't have the other characters having much of a problem with Spidey lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    Jokes? Some were even serious about that once we learned about MJ and Annie's connections to the mutants.
    I feel the "Spidey nukes Krakoa" was something that started as a joke that some started to take seriously lol.

Quote Originally Posted by IamnotJudasTraveller View Post
    The poll could probably use more than just two options, since if we put it in a number analogy it's basically either a "0 or 10".

I think most posters here don't find any reason to care because we've barely been given anything to go off of it. I wasn't looking forward to a mystery box way back when they announced this timeskip to begin with, but when the "glowy figure" showed up in Beyond's finale some people did get interested in where would it go. The first arc with Tombstone pretty much just dragged what we were told in advance into the ground ("People don't like Peter right now") and moving forward with #900 and the Vulture story it took an absolute backseat.

It doesn't have to be an overbearing force moving the book forward (Aaron dragged out the Jane Foster reveal as Thor through 8 issues and his constant "what's going on? Huh, huh?" did get grating at spots), but in this case there aren't a whole many breadcrumbs to keep us interested in the mystery and the ones that get tossed are very slim to begin with. About the biggest thing to go off we got ever since MJ's mystery kids (and that was literally the first issue of this run) was that Peter lost someone who's a woman, and we only learned that yesterday.
    Huh, wonder if it'll be some random nameless woman who exists only for Spidey to be sad.

Or who knows, maybe it'll be a known one... Wonder if it's Betty lol.
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 09-29-2022 at 06:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Fantastic Member

I might be more interested if it wasn't hilariously vague XD I'm curious to see where it ends up but dragging out the mystery when we know practically nothing isn't much fun.

Spectacular Member

I won't pay for another comic in this run until I know what happened.

I don’t know. It has a lot of competition thanks to Slott (not to mention the underwhelming endings to both the Kindred saga and Beyond). It’s certainly not a strong run, so far. Would I rather this or Slott? Hmmn… that’s a hard one. At least with Slott, things were a hot mess but never this boring.
    True, Slott's run was many things but never boring.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    True, Slott's run was many things but never boring.
    Slott knew how to use cool novel ideas (Spider-Island, Superior, etc) to distract readers from how poor his characterizations were.

Zeb Wells is trying to do that, but he sucks at it.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 09-29-2022 at 08:54 PM.

He sure did. His storytelling techniques reminded me of this M. Night Shyamalan and Michael Bay parody from South Park tons of crap happening that often made little or no narrative sense, but damn it was a spectacle.

Last edited by Celgress; 09-29-2022 at 09:12 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    Slott knew how to use cool novel ideas (Spider-Island, Superior, etc) to distract readers from how poor his characterizations were.

Zeb Wells is trying to do that, but he sucks at it.
    Honestly, I wouldn't even say he was that good at that too.

Supposedly his best story is Spider-Island, and I have yet to care enough about it to finish it.

Spider-Verse is another one, the most stand out thing about it is for Spiders to die at random, and if you ignore/get used to it, it's hardly that interesting of a story, I'm pretty sure I got sleepy when trying to read it lol.

Spider-Geddon didn't have Slott as a writer, but it was pretty similar overall, without the mean spirited parts, so it was straight up a boring story.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    He sure did. His storytelling techniques reminded me of this M. Night Shyamalan and Michael Bay parody from South Park tons of crap happening that often made little or no narrative sense, but damn it was a spectacle.

This ain't even that much of an exaggeration of how Shyamalan is at his worse is like, his gimmick of twist endings really doesn't work well when most of the movie is fucking boring.

And Slott, well, he can have a wacky idea, and when the execution doesn't work, the idea itself can be funny, or just be colossally boring, like, anyone remembers Spidey dealing with Zodiac in vol 4's first 11 issues? Or when there was that war in Symkaria and Spidey fought a powerless Norman? 'Cause stuff like that was surprisingly boring even when it sounded like they could at least be like a B-movie in fun lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I'm fine with a mystery box story but that mystery has to serve the ongoing narrative. That isn't happening here.

What we have been given is essentially a status quo retcon. Characters are behaving differently towards Peter but the reader has been given no reason why (or why we should care outside of Peter being the main character).

We haven't been given any hints about this big thing that has happened (one page of an explosion with Peter blaming himself doesn't actually tell us anything), what exactly that thing was, how Peter was responsible or at least blamed, or how it affected everyone's perception of Peter to the point that they turned against him.

Further to this, most characters have forgiven him already and/or fences are being mended. And even these are basically just Pete facing the person and it being fine now. Nothing in the relationships or characters is actually being explored.

By the time we get the reveal of what happened it will be irrelevant as the fallout will have been resolved.

In my opinion it is a textbook example of how to do a mystery box poorly. It is a cheap excuse to have conflict rather than an integral part of that conflict.

Also, loser Peter is worst Peter and I hate it.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

BANNED

I'm more interested in how Mary Jane ended up with that guy that si so "not for Mary Jane"... (Pedro the fireman was far better) and who are those children....

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by maryjane View Post
    (Pedro the fireman was far better)
    Pedro had no character and seemed pretty dim all things considered. MJ was wise to ditch him, seeing as she only dated him because he reminded her of Peter right down to his name and by her own admission she never stopped loving him.

Wig Over The Hoodie Style IamnotJudasTraveller's Avatar

I agree. I’m about a 3 or 4 with this mystery. A little intrigued, but less so each passing month. For comparison’s sake, at its peak before it started spinning its wheels, I was about a 7 or 8 for who Kindred was…
    Ironically enough, I myself never cared for the Kindred mystery. When people do these big mystery identity plots in comics, they always plant a boatload of obvious clues and then swerve real hard at the end. The guessing game is hopelessly stacked against the reader, since the house not only tends to always win, but it's fiction, so they can literally throw ANYTHING they want at you! From day one, I expected it to just pivot into Kindred being actually Flash (dead at the time) or Gwen, just to be an even more unexpected "gotcha" (no pun intended). I'd have been very, very happy to cut my losses and congratulate Spencer on playing it straight when he literally recycled half of an One More Day issue to make his point.

Then he did what he did and it wasn't straightforward at all. But god damn if the man didn't turn it into a trainwreck with gusto. It's not Harry, it's AI Harry and also the Stacy Twins... sorta? Kinda?

I was a solid 2 for this when the MGP (mysterious glowy person) showed at the end of Beyond, and the talk about losing someone and trying to bring "her" back put me at 5, but with all that above and just what an absolute clusterf*ck Hobgoblin was (also, remember FACADE? Anyone?), I quickly waned off to 3/4. Big mysteries with Spidey tend to almost always be an anticlimax.

and way back during the Clone Saga, I was a maximum 10 for who Gaunt’s employer was (masterful tease at the end of Blood Brothers).
    The funny thing about the Clone Saga's own mystery was that Harras decided to lengthen the thing so much that I literally figured it out. I was racking my brain over the details and it didn't fit, what with Seward being so earnest in helping Ben. Then just so many months went by that thinking about it, it hit me that he was doing it because he was ordered to. Whaddayaknow?

I was convinced Gaunt was Toomes, though (the Vulture had disappeared for a little bit from the books, and how he wouldn't shut up about life was straight out of Lifetheft) and I was guessing the employer was Mysterio because of the purple gloves. Then, about 2 weeks before I could read the conclusion, The Internet™ spoiled me that Osborn was back. So I was like "I'm like 14 and this is my first longterm mystery plot, I'm gonna say I figured out enough".
    Discovering/CONFESSING! the nature of evil... one retcon at a time.