Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Default Hippolyta in Mans World

What are your general thoughts on Hippolyta rejoining Mans World? Should she be the eternal Queen who never leaves Themiscryia or leave for various adventures in Mans World temporarily?

We've seen her take Dianas place in modern day twice, she was also in the 1940s to rectify a WW being part of the JSA. Should she be the first "Wonder Woman" during the 1940s before returning to the Island or joining a team in modern times to temporarily replace Diana in some capacity? Or like it was in Endless Winter where she rejoins Mans World temporarily during the 10th century?

I don't mind her joining a team in the modern day.

Although, I don't think writers really know what to do with her to make her more exciting if I'm being honest. (outside of Historia of coarse)
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Do not care for it. No time for making Diana a legacy character to a title that started with her or being dogmatically devoted "There must be a WW in at least one of the World Wars/JSA!"

Once the island seals itself up, world doesn't hear from the Themysciran Amazons until whenever Diana leave's for Man's World as far as I'm concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Do not care for it. No time for making Diana a legacy character to a title that started with her or being dogmatically devoted "There must be a WW in at least one of the World Wars/JSA!"

Once the island seals itself up, world doesn't hear from the Themysciran Amazons until whenever Diana leave's for Man's World as far as I'm concerned.
    I'm kind of 50/50 on it. I dont want them to share THAT MUCH. If Hipp comes to Mans World during the JSA time....I rather her not be named Wonder Woman or perhaps have a WW outfit.

Hippolyta should be the last amazon to leave Paradise Island. There's a reason she became their queen. She arbors all their pain and hope for the island.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Hippolyta should be the last amazon to leave Paradise Island. There's a reason she became their queen. She arbors all their pain and hope for the island.
    That doesn't really sound like a reason to be confined to the island.

I know the whole "Diana should not be the second Wonder Woman!" is a strong sentiment, but Hippolyta being out in the world for an excursion/to see progress doesn't feel wrong. Her returning after WWII, in disgust for all the bloodshed, I could very well see.

Agreed, if the Amazons don't have their magic mirror to see how the world is progressing I could easily see Hippolyta going to Mans World to see how things have changed and not being impressed causing her to return to the Island and resume her life in Paradise.

Perhaps that is how the Trial is born. Every X amount of years they hold it to allow an Amazon see the outside world and report back. Hippolyta herself being interested takes it upon herself to go at certain points.

I don't like it.

I don't like shoe-horning Wonder Woman into a World War. I think making Hippolyta a Wonder Woman, effectively retconning Diana into a legacy character, cheapens her. I also just don't find her that interesting as a solo protagonist in her own right. I like her fine as a supporting character in Wonder Woman's world, but not on her own.

This subject came up once in an older thread, but I'm not opposed to the idea of there being Amazon Champions that lave left Themyscira before Diana. There's Nubia, of course, and there's always been the implication there have been previous Contests and therefore prior Champions.

But, as I said then, I think if there are to be prior Champions who've left Themyscira, they should be very few and far in between. An important aspect of Wonder Woman is that Diana is the first to leave Themyscira is a long, long time and the first to make contact with the Man's World. That it was heralded by Steve Trevor crashing onto the island is important.
    Making the Contest an annual thing with dozens and dozens of previous Champions over the years makes Diana into "just another one" and cheapens the importance of Steve's arrival. I understand wanting to tone down the "Chosen One" elements, but she should still stand out from other Amazons beyond just happening to hold the protagonist ball.

Going back to Hippolyta...and I agree with Alpha on this...she should be the LAST person who'd want to leave Themyscira. If there were previous Champions, she should only have let them go with clenched teeth. She's the one who adamantly DOESN'T want Diana to enter the Contest and go to the Man's World.
    I just think having her coming and going, being a superhero and joining teams like the JSA, goes against the character and her motivation. Keep the magic mirror so she can keep tabs on what's going on...which, if anything, should only fuel her isolationist stance.

It also should be her character arc. Only after Diana becomes Wonder Woman does she begin to soften her isolationist stance and eventually open Themyscira's shores. Diana's efforts convince her to open up again and give the Man's World another chance.

I think if writers want Hippolyta to have her own adventures and whatnot, they shouldn't be standard superhero stuff. I'm okay with her becoming a goddess and getting tied into Olympus intrigue. That's a perfect direction for her. She shouldn't be Wonder Woman.
    Last edited by Guy_McNichts; 09-29-2022 at 05:50 PM.

In the context of a shared universe, I'm against the idea of any Wonder Woman being in World War II at all. If a scantily-clad warrior goddess popped up in the 1940s (before anyone had seen any other superhumans), proved the existence of the Greek pantheon, and preached the gospel of her gay feminist utopia, would the world really resemble ours 70+ years later?

(Gotta say, I'm not a fan of Earth One but Grant Morrison definitely got that right. The Amazons entering the world changes everything).

If Wonder Woman MUST be the first superhero and/or appear in WWII, it makes more sense for it to be Hippolyta - it'd be a lot easier to dismiss the spiritual/religious implications if the woman in question couldn't fly and punch the moon in half. But Diana being the Amazons' olive branch has a lot of symbolic significance and having Hippolyta out doing her thing first kinda undermines that.

I don't mind her jumping into action after Themyscira opens its gates though.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    I don't mind her joining a team in the modern day.

Although, I don't think writers really know what to do with her to make her more exciting if I'm being honest. (outside of Historia of coarse)
    Hippolyta had the permanant sword and shield first and it proved so popular they trickled down to Diana. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Perhaps that is how the Trial is born. Every X amount of years they hold it to allow an Amazon see the outside world and report back. Hippolyta herself being interested takes it upon herself to go at certain points.
    The Well of Souls means they'll know how the outside World is, since the new amazons will tell them about their lives

If Hippolyta enters the mortal realm again and Nubia remains Queen of the Amazons, I have no issue with Hippolyta joining another team, like the JSA - or have her involved in a new team.

IIRC, I think the Contest Nubia was a part of was to choose a Champion to protect the world from Doom’s Doorway from behind the door - which is great. I’m not a terrific fan of lots of Amazons leaving the island and interacting with Patriarch’s World prior to Diana’s debut. We’ve already had rogue Amazons in Exoristos and Myrina Black and that’s plenty for me.

Now that Themyscira is engaging with world, there’s certainly more opportunity for some Amazons Among Us and Visitors To Paradise storylines that feature the Amazons interactions with mortals more heavily.

Extraordinary Member

I would much rather Hippolyta be a member of the JSA than Queen of the Amazons.

Her too short stint in the 1999 JSA was incredible IMO.

-I like the idea of Hippolyta going to Man's World from time to time. I rather it be because she is immortal and not time travel. The main problem I feel is that too many writers writer her as Diana or just 'replacement Wondy'. Like no, if you're using Hippolyta at least show us how her interactions with Superman, Batman, et al differs from Diana and how she shakes up the group dynamic. Don't be lazy. Then again, the JLA has always been the most thinly veiled 'mashing action figures' title whereas teams like the JSA, Teen Titans and Doom Patrol had more to offer.

-I agree that Hippolyta shouldn't be Wonder Woman even if she does travel to Man's World and teams up with the JSA. The presence of the Amazons and Themyscira should remain a secret until Diana's arrival. I think Hippolyta fits among the JSA old timers like Jay Garrick, Ted Grant and Alan Scott and no doubt has more chemistry with them. I wouldn't mind seeing more adventures with the JSA but I would like it to be handled within the WW books.

In general I am in favor of there being champions before Diana left for Man's World. The Amazons had a contest for choosing who would go to Man's World and Amazon's wanted to participate in it. I also imagine they are training for *something* and not just self defense or protecting Doom's Doorway and the Goddesses wouldn't just be like 'yeah, just chill on this island and watch this gateway for us. kthnkxby'. In my head canon, there would have been at least two champions per century. Some of them completed their mission and retired to Themyscira, some died and maybe some were corrupted. Diana is the greatest champion and instigated the most change by exposing the existence of Themyscira and continuing to being an Ambassador to Man's World. I know it sounds kind of similar to the ending of BP but Diana opening up Themyscira to the world was also a part of George Perez's run.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

I don't want the Wonder Woman's mythology to become GL Corps. I think that exploration of such circumstances with longevity are for Elseworlds and then if and only if the Amazons are treated as their original vastly superhuman and ubertechnically advanced selves. None of that cannon fodder crap we normally get