Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Example where casting prevented you from seeing a film you'd otherwise see?

Has there been examples where there was a film you thought you'd want to see (maybe based off a novel or comic book) but the casting of certain characters made you decide not to see it?

Do YOU have an example to get us going?

Not a personal example but I remember there being negative reactions to Tom Cruise being cast as Lestat and later, John Reacher.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Not a personal example but I remember there being negative reactions to Tom Cruise being cast as Lestat and later, John Reacher.
    I know, right?! Not a personal example, as well. But, I remember the same thing about Michael Keaton's Batman. Critics said he was too short (LOL):

Last edited by K7P5V; 09-30-2022 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

That and Keaton was mainly known for goofball comedies at that point (Mr. Mom, Johnny Dangerously, Beetlejuice).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Schwarzenegger being cast in Terminator films Genysis and Dark Fate. The franchise needed to move on from him as an actor because he didn't even play a real character. His shoe-horned presence held back the story.

Fantastic Member MarkRodriguez09's Avatar

The Pixels movie cause of Adam Sandler. The concept of aliens invading us in the form of 80's arcade game characters sounded interesting, but the main character was played by Adam Sandler so I knew it would play out more like an Adam Sandler movie than anything else.
    Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
    I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRodriguez09 View Post
    The Pixels movie cause of Adam Sandler. The concept of aliens invading us in the form of 80's arcade game characters sounded interesting, but the main character was played by Adam Sandler so I know it would play out more like an Adam Sandler movie than anything else.
    I was actually going to say this after caj answered his own OP. Since that isn't happening...

It kinda happened in reverse for me. When I tried to tell people about it, the instant I mentioned Sandler "No thanks." Weirdest phenomenon.

"What did you do this weekend?"
    "Oh I saw Pixels. I thought it was pretty good."
    "Pixels? What's that?"
    "Well its this Adam Sandler movie--"
    "Nevermind."

To me Sandler is one of those folks I neither love nor hate, but if he's in a movie that has a decent premise/synopsis I'll see it. Apparently folks have a visceral reaction to him, though. I wonder if it affected the box office of Pixels (I heard it did great overseas though).

A more direct example, I guess...David Spade. Only one I can think of, but mostly in his heyday. I can watch him NOW like when he does interviews but back in the day, if he starred in something that didn't have Chris Farley to offset him I wouldn't watch it. Still haven't seen 8 Simple Rules final season cause of him. Why DID it need him James Garner was enough but I digress.

Retired

TOP GUN: MAVERICK. Actually, I've yet to see the first TOP GUN, so I would need to see that. When it came out, I never got around to watching it. There were some Tom Cruise movies I saw and some I didn't see--just the luck of the draw. But now I'm so against Tom Cruise and what he stands for that I just could never watch anymore of his movies. If he does some stunt casting like AUSTIN POWERS IN GOLD MEMBER, then I could be tricked into it.

I have put off watching most of the Marvel movies (from Disney/Marvel) because Robert Downey, Jr., is in a lot of them. I used to watch a fair number of Downey movies, but I got turned off his work. I might force myself to watch the Marvel movies at some point down the road, but getting through those Downey scenes is going to be rough. Also, I used to be a big fan of Gwyneth Paltrow--now her side hustle sickens me.

TROPIC THUNDER is doubly cursed because of the Cruise/Downey double bill.

Extraordinary Member

Chris Pine as Captain James T Kirk in Star Trek.

TBH nobody could actually replace William Shatner. Nobody

But I had seen Pine in The Princess Diaries (don't ask) and just didn't care for him at all. So I was very disappointed to see him cast as Kirk.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    I was actually going to say this after caj answered his own OP. Since that isn't happening...

It kinda happened in reverse for me. When I tried to tell people about it, the instant I mentioned Sandler "No thanks." Weirdest phenomenon.

"What did you do this weekend?"
    "Oh I saw Pixels. I thought it was pretty good."
    "Pixels? What's that?"
    "Well its this Adam Sandler movie--"
    "Nevermind."

To me Sandler is one of those folks I neither love nor hate, but if he's in a movie that has a decent premise/synopsis I'll see it. Apparently folks have a visceral reaction to him, though. I wonder if it affected the box office of Pixels (I heard it did great overseas though).

A more direct example, I guess...David Spade. Only one I can think of, but mostly in his heyday. I can watch him NOW like when he does interviews but back in the day, if he starred in something that didn't have Chris Farley to offset him I wouldn't watch it. Still haven't seen 8 Simple Rules final season cause of him. Why DID it need him James Garner was enough but I digress.
    Sandler to me is like Robin Williams. I love him in serious roles but despise him in comedic roles.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    As a fan of the Anne Rice books, I was not thrilled by the casting of Tom Cruise as Lestat, but I still watched it (even if I think Brad Pitt could have made a much better Lestat, instead of being put in the Louis role). I can't think of any actors that I dislike enough to not see a movie about a subject that interests me.

Case in point, I even watched the last Hulk movie, despite it having Ed Norton in it.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post

Case in point, I even watched the last Hulk movie, despite it having Ed Norton in it.
    You say Ed Norton and I immediately think of the Honeymooners. "We sing the song of the sewer . . ."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRodriguez09 View Post
    The Pixels movie cause of Adam Sandler. The concept of aliens invading us in the form of 80's arcade game characters sounded interesting, but the main character was played by Adam Sandler so I knew it would play out more like an Adam Sandler movie than anything else.
    I had the same reaction. Thought it sounded like a really cool and fun idea and wished it had been made with someone else starring, but once I heard he was attached assumed it would be another of his films with a different backdrop. Which it was. A few funny moments, but a lot of slog to get to them.

Oddly enough I watched "Grandma's Boy" at the insistence of a friend of mine who knows I haven't been a Sandler fan since his early movies and I enjoyed it more than probably any Sandler movie since "Happy Gilmore". Didn't expect that from what are basically his no-name sidekicks/entourage.

I never avoid movies, but I do downgrade my hopes for them when I hear of what I consider to be miscasting. Heath Ledger was one of those (pleasantly surprised), but for the most part they end up being what I expected.

I'm a D&D nerd from the tail end of 2nd Edition, and looked forward to the first movie (which was truly awful) and was excited to see them trying again. Then I saw Chris Pine and Michelle Rodriguez were cast, and my first thought "oh no, now we'll have to wait another 20 years for another shot". Could be good though, and will watch regardless.

Mighty Member

I wrote to Scarlet Street ( is that still published?) after reading their editorial griping about Cruise cast in Lestat movie. I said they ought to give him a chance, seeing how Keaton worked out in 1989 (though I referred to him rather snarkily as "MMr. Batmom"). They printed my missive, but were nonplussed by my ending line, "sstop chewing your shrouds and get on with your undeath".