Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Original Sin #8 Spoilers

Welp, I wasn't too surprised by anything that happened to conclude in the climax of the event, but there are some interesting developments in the "epilogue" section of the comic. No it doesn't say "epilogue" but it sure reads like one. I reviewed it with a bunch of pictures here if anyone is interested.

The issue cuts between Nick Fury taking on Dr. Midas and his company and at the same time we get flashbacks to the moment the Watcher was killed. If you’re looking for any big reveals it will be on the last few pages as Aaron sets up where we’re at with multiple characters, including the state of Thor, who the new Watcher is and who takes up the mantle Nick Fury left behind. All and all it’s not so surprising, especially if you read solicits, but for what it’s worth everything is tied up in a little bow. There’s nothing dangling really, but I suspect a lot of folks will cry foul when they learn nothing much has changed aside from some character’s getting a new direction. The Orb for instance, seems to be a main player with souped up powers.

Spoilers!

spoilers:

In a flashback we see Nick Fury went to help The Watcher who has gotten an eye stolen from him from The Orb. Nick Fury demands to know who did it, to which The Watcher says you already know. Presumably this means The Watcher knew his place was bugged.

The big reveal is who killed The Watcher. It was Nick Fury, but it was a suicide by cop sort of deal, where The Watcher is going to kill Nick, so Nick must defend himself and kill him first. What makes this sort of silly is Nick admits that the Watcher could never kill anyone. So why kill him you goof?! At the very least he's very sad and upset about what he did.

Nick then plucks out The Watchers eye, presumably to use it and avenge him.

Back in the current timeline, a bunch of Watchers show up and the Avengers decide they should just watch too.

Nick shoots off Dr. Midas' hand, then they fight. Eventually Nick kills Midas by shoving the Watcher's eye into his chest. The power is too great. The Orb also gets an eye to the chest, but he seems to live through it as we see him in the final pages observing a woman who is hurting a man who hurt her. It's important to note the eyeball he gets actually attacks him, wraps around him, and inserts itself into him.

When Midas has had enough and dies he explodes and we see Winter Soldier hold his head low and a Watcher shed a tear.

By issues end Cap confirms Midas and Nick are dead because he finds two "Sacks of bloody stew" which is a real classy way to say your good friend is dead lol.

We learn Winter Soldier has taken up the mantle of protecting the Earth as Nick did.

The Avengers leave Thor on the moon as he continues to try to lift the hammer.

Black Panther and Dr. Strange seem to know why Nick Fury "went crazy and died" as Cap puts it, but they won't tell him. Dr. Strange admits he may tell Cap eventually.

We cut to Oubliette somewhere like Arizona, she has her father's hand which can turn things into gold still and she says, "so begins the new Midas empire."

Finally we see Nick is not dead, but instead invisible to them, still on the Moon, and it looks like he's taken up the mantle of The Watcher. He's got some armor with purple glowing through it. Also a bunch of chains around his neck and a heavy blue cloak. He narrates that this is a curse.

end of spoilers

What did everyone else think?
    Last edited by Nosocialize; 09-03-2014 at 07:21 AM.
    Comic reviews answering the question "Is it good?" every Wednesday here.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Crap. There was no reason for Uatu to try and kill him.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Spectacular Member CyclopsWasRight's Avatar

It started out good, but was predictable once we got the old Fury prediction. Just tell me what happened with Thor, that's all I care about.

Quote Originally Posted by CyclopsWasRight View Post
    It started out good, but was predictable once we got the old Fury prediction. Just tell me what happened with Thor, that's all I care about.
    I added more spoilers above.

Ultimate Member

I enjoyed this series at the beginning but it kind of fizzled out towards the end.

All in all, it was just mediocre.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I enjoyed this series at the beginning but it kind of fizzled out towards the end.

This i exactly how I felt about this.
    We need better comics

Astonishing Member

This really sounds like the worse kind of fan fiction.

Spectacular Member CyclopsWasRight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nosocialize View Post
    I added more spoilers above.
    Oh, I read the book. I just wish Aaron would have addressed what happened with Thor. I don't want to wait any longer.

Found it an enjoyable series. Obviously some of the ending was already given away, but not all. Either way I thought it a great Fury tale with enough wiggle room in the end for anything to happen down the road. Nice job by Aaron and Deodato.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post

Seriously this. I was underwhelmed by how everything ended up. So much meh.

Quote Originally Posted by CyclopsWasRight View Post
    Oh, I read the book. I just wish Aaron would have addressed what happened with Thor. I don't want to wait any longer.
    I just find it hilarious the Avengers are just like, "meh leave Thor, he can keep pulling, the stubborn idiot." Not very friendly of them. Can he even get back to Earth without the hammer?

I kind of wish Nick killed Watcher for a better reason. It's a pretty weak way to absolve him of some sin, keeping him a hero, but getting a dramatic death out of it too. Why did Watcher want to die though? That's the more interesting question. I assume he wanted to die because he was missing an eye? Seems like there's more to it than that, and a far more interesting question they could have tackled in this series.

First two issues were solid, but this series faltered really bad. The revelation of how the Watcher died was decompressed to the point where I didn't care anymore. This was a lot of effort just to shove Nick Fury into the background to make way for an MCU friendly universe.

The only interesting thing to come out of this is where Bucky is headed.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ceebiro View Post
    This really sounds like the worse kind of fan fiction.
    Cosignd!!!

BANNED

The Avengers leave Thor alone on the moon trying to lift the hammer?
    Isn't a little dick of a move?
    Can Thor survive on the Moon without the power up from Miolnir?