Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    I see a bunch of people asking why the Watcher let himself get killed or attacked Fury. This is my two cents:

Once Fury realizes the eyes are data recorders full of every powerful secret, the Watcher knows he's dead. Fury IS ABSOLUTELY going to kill him for those secrets. But Uatu has seen what Fury has been doing, and knows that it's all been in the name of protecting Earth, a world Uatu himself loves. So Uatu attacks Fury to allow Nick to justify it as self defense. Basically, Uatu took Fury off the hook for his own murder.
    Suicide by cop. I believe it's pretty self explanatory though, Uatu says, "it's time for someone else to watch." Kid is done and wants to retire.
    Comic reviews answering the question "Is it good?" every Wednesday here.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nosocialize View Post
    Suicide by cop. I believe it's pretty self explanatory though, Uatu says, "it's time for someone else to watch." Kid is done and wants to retire.
    He does. But what I'm saying is that I don't think Uatu is "done and wants to retire." He's just seen enough to know that secret hungry Nick Fury is going to murder him for what he knows either way. He's just giving Fury an opening to do what Uatu already knows he's going to do anyway.

Mighty Member

I don't know where you get secret hungry Nick Fury from. That whole scene was Fury trying to help Uatu and getting frustrated because Uatu's inaction wouldn't let him.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by scribbleMind View Post
    I don't know where you get secret hungry Nick Fury from. That whole scene was Fury trying to help Uatu and getting frustrated because Uatu's inaction wouldn't let him.

And then Nick figures out the secrets are stored in his eyes. He even says "The secrets are in the EYES, aren't they?" Then, "You know how many lives I could save with those secrets?" And in his earlier rant at Uatu, Fury makes clear how much he resents the fact that Uatu has all this knowledge and isn't going to share it.

Also, Fury was absolutely NOT trying to help Uatu. He wants to kill whoever has the eye and the tech, to protect Earth. Fury could care less about the Watcher, as proven seconds later when he MURDERS him in order to get access to the data records he wants.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    I see a bunch of people asking why the Watcher let himself get killed or attacked Fury. This is my two cents:

Once Fury realizes the eyes are data recorders full of every powerful secret, the Watcher knows he's dead. Fury IS ABSOLUTELY going to kill him for those secrets. But Uatu has seen what Fury has been doing, and knows that it's all been in the name of protecting Earth, a world Uatu himself loves. So Uatu attacks Fury to allow Nick to justify it as self defense. Basically, Uatu took Fury off the hook for his own murder.
    So if Uatus eyes are data recorders, why does Fury die with this knowledge instead of imparting this to Bucky, who decides to take over from Fury? It looks like Fury was displaced as the Unseen when the Watcher said, "Time for someone else to watch", so Fury was never going to get any benefit from the eyes. Fury knew he was dying all along. The Watcher knew he was going to die the first time he saw the Midas gang. I'm not too sure either Fury or Uatu are really dead though. It reads like a 1950's horror story Steve Ditko would draw, with the last page shocker that traps Nick Fury in the Watcher.
    Last edited by jackolover; 09-03-2014 at 04:16 PM.

I'd LOVE to see how some future writer tries to un-do this, but I'll go with the assumption that this is truly intended to be permanent.

I'm also gonna assume that Cap's cold remarks about Fury's remains are a result of his disgust at discovering the truth about Dum Dum (this is my own personal little off-camera explanation, as I would expect there to be worldwide reaction in the superhuman community to the 'death' of Dum Dum, he knows everybody).

Curious as to whether or not we'll see The Unseen again, and in what capacity.

What a Marvel Handbook entry THIS is gonna make, eh?
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    So if Uatus eyes are data recorders, why does Fury die with this knowledge instead of imparting this to Bucky, who decides to take over from Fury? It looks like Fury was displaced as the Unseen when the Watcher said, "Time for someone else to watch", so Fury was never going to get any benefit from the eyes. Fury knew he was dying all along. The Watcher knew he was going to die the first time he saw the Midas gang. I'm not too sure either Fury or Uatu are really dead though. It reads like a 1950's horror story Steve Ditko would draw, with the last page shocker that traps Nick Fury in the Watcher.
    wasn't that fury at the end

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by OpticDreams View Post
    Page 26 Thor holding the hammer, Lol.
    I'm glad somebody else saw that and confirmed my suspicion. I thought he was, then I talked myself out of it, but sure enough...

Also, was I the only one confused about Black Panther and Strange's conversation towards the end? Were they referring to what Nick had been up to all these years, the Incursions (which would contradict the recently completed Avengers arc), or were they aware that Nick had survived (as he slinks off in the background of that panel), or is it something else I just completely missed.
    Last edited by Corvinas; 09-03-2014 at 05:36 PM.

All-New Member

That's it?

What is it with Marvel and all the hype for boring stories?

You used to be cool Marvel.

BANNED

This entire event was beyond awful. Thinking about this issue makes my brain melt.

This whole event would have been a lot better had they stuck to it being more murder mystery and not try to make it some epic cosmic clash and the last stand and retcon of the OG Nick Fury as one of the greatest individuals the 616 had ever seen. Mainly because HE ALREADY WAS BEFORE ALL THIS BULL story began!

I get why Original Sin exists, but much like Fear Itself, there are big questions on whether or not it should. But hey, at least now Fear Itself and Age of Ultron has company at the bottom of Marvel's post 2000 big crossover lists.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Of Orphans View Post
    The only interesting thing to come out of this is where Bucky is headed.
    i was turned off by this series when they showed nick dealing with all sorts of threats WAY BEYOND his power level.
    if they toned that down by like 9000 notches, then i'd be happy for buck

BANNED

Stopped paying for this after 5 issues of complete garbage. Read the spoilers for this, the best thing about this series is that it ended. What an over hyped, overcomplicated way to use 8 issues to simply push Fury out of the spotlight. The secrets were meaningless, the killer, predictable.

Marvel really hyped this up and right now they should be using one page ads in the same space to apologize.

This is Aaron's first big check mark against him in my book. I enjoy his other work. This was just...a long, drawn out, cheesy mystery that turned sci-fi, that failed to capture any interest in me.

Again, at least it's over. Hopefully AXIS is better, it wouldn't have to do much to accomplish that feat.

I did enjoy the art. Deodato is incredible. I wish his talents were used on a good story.

Marvel needs to be careful. Enough "events" like this and events won't be their go to cash cow for much longer.

Quote Originally Posted by runguy View Post
    wasn't that fury at the end
    Yes it was. I'm thinking more that Fury isn't Fury any more.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    Yes it was. I'm thinking more that Fury isn't Fury any more.
    I'd assume he has some degree of omniscience now, if he's going to be forever on the moon, watching everything, unseen.

I wonder if he'll narrate any future What If's, or if he ever secretly watched Uatu apparently talking to himself as he narrated an issue.
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/