Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Incredible Member

Default Any TV/Film Rights Issues You're Still Confused About?

I recently had to explain to a friend about the whole Disney/Marvel/Sony debacle, and why Sony is making a bunch of movies based on low-tier Spider-Man villains.

But then it occurred to me, there are a few rights issues that are still confusing to me. Here are a few.

The Wizard of Oz
    For those who don't know, there used to be two companies, MGM (Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer) and UA (United Artists). The former produced The Wizard of Oz in 1939. In 1981, the two companies merged. In 2019, Amazon bought MGM/UA. However, from what I've heard, this did not include rights to The Wizard of Oz, which are now held by Warner Bros. The 1939 film is on HBOMax, and WB is producing a new animated film, Toto, from the franchise, hitting in 2024.
    So that's actually pretty simple, but I guess I'm just wondering, how did WB get the rights? Did they just buy it off of them?

Batman (1966)
    In 1966, DC Comics licensed out the rights to Batman to 20th Century Fox. 20th Century Fox Television produced the famous TV series and, later that year, the film studio created the film version of it, before the series continued on for two more years. In 1969, the same year the series ended, DC's parent company also bought Warner Bros., and since then, Warner Bros. has release all the films!

However, I think Fox, and therefore now Disney, may still own the rights to the 1966 TV series. It's not on HBOMax, but its also not on Disney+, so I'm not sure what's going on with that!

Power Rangers
    Clearly, Power Rangers is taken from a Japanese TV show, but I'm not sure who owns the American film/TV rights. The series aired on Fox and the two films in the '90s were made by 20th Century Fox. But then Disney bought them! Amazingly, they then sold them, making it one of four franchises I'm aware of that Disney once had, but no longer does (the others being Zorro, Gnomes, and Scream).
    The 2017 film was made by Lionsgate, the 1995 movie is now on HBOMax, and apparently the most recent season aired on Nickelodeon, then streamed on Netflix? What's going on? Who owns this thing!

Indiana Jones
    I would have thought the rights to Indiana Jones were purchased along with Star Wars and Willow when Disney bought Lucasfilm in 2012, but I think I heard something about them needing to buy them separately? Either way, it appears that while Disney owns the rights to make new media, Paramount still owns the first four films. Was Indiana not a part of Lucasfilm, or was there some issue with it kind of belonging in part to both it and Paramount?

Spider-Man
    I've heard that, while Sony owns the film rights to Spidey, Disney actually still has the TV rights, which is why The Spectacular Spider-Man aired on Disney XD. If so, then they wouldn't need any permission from Sony to have him appear in What If, but that's also likely why Tom Holland didn't voice him in that series, as he's likely under contract at Sony, who didn't want to lease him (at least not for cheap).
    What makes this a little iffy is that Sony produces the Daily Bugle videos for Youtube and TikTok, often starring stars of the films they produce with Marvel. So do Youtube and TikTok fall under "film rights," and not "TV rights?" That's very interesting!
    But what really gets me is that I heard Disney also still owns the MERCHANDISING rights! Wait, what? So does that mean that Disney's raking in all the money from the toys based on Sony's movies? I'd imagine what's actually the case is that Sony can make money off merchandise from their movies, while Disney makes the money from other, more general Spidey merchandise.
    ALSO, a friend said that, since Miles Morales was created after the Disney/Fox merger, Kevin Feige believes that he can use the character, even though Sony has already used him in their animated films. I wonder how that would work? I know that both Marvel and Fox were able to use Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch back in the day, so maybe a similar thing applies here?

Namor
    I always heard that Disney/Marvel couldn't make a film about Namor because the rights were still held up at Universal, which didn't make any sense because Universal had NEVER MADE A FILM of him, while other studios were losing rights after not having made a film for 5 years. Now that Namor is making an appearance in Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, does that mean Disney now has the rights? Or are they only able to use him in films that concern other heroes, like they are with Hulk?

Hulk
    Speaking of Hulk, there's another weird one. Apparently Universal only owned DISTRIBUTION rights, so Marvel could make the films, as long as they distributed them through Universal, hence why Hulk was the only Phase 1 Marvel Studios film distributed through Universal, not Paramount. But when Disney bought Marvel in 2009, they said no more of that! We at the House of Mouse are not interested in producing films we can't distribute! Hence, no Hulk 2 or 3 in the 14 years since. He can only appear in films focused on other characters, like Avengers or Thor! However, I heard something about those rights coming back to Disney/Marvel now. Does anyone know when Marvel will officially regain all rights to The Hulk?

And feel free to add anything you'd like to discuss!
    Last edited by Slimybug; 09-30-2022 at 07:06 PM.