Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    Could he create like a sound bird that could pick him up and fly him around the arena outside of Kate's reach?
    Yes, he has created creatures of animated sound before. No reason he couldn't create a giant, flying sound eagle and ride around upon it.

Once Kitty pokes her head up out of the ground, he sonics her into unconsciousness or death.

Unless her powers have changed and she no longer needs to breathe, she has to come up. Aerial survey means he spots her and blasts her.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shai-Hulud View Post
    Yes, he has created creatures of animated sound before. No reason he couldn't create a giant, flying sound eagle and ride around upon it.

Once Kitty pokes her head up out of the ground, he sonics her into unconsciousness or death.

Unless her powers have changed and she no longer needs to breathe, she has to come up. Aerial survey means he spots her and blasts her.
    I recall that feat where she intangibled herself from the earths' gravity to zip through the rotation of the earth meant she was underground for a while so I don't know if she has to breathe per se.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    I recall that feat where she intangibled herself from the earths' gravity to zip through the rotation of the earth meant she was underground for a while so I don't know if she has to breathe per se.
    She has traditionally needed to hold her breath while phased.

As with comics generally, power inflation is a thing, as is new writers neither knowing or caring about continuity.

I don't know where the present version of Kitty officially stands on the breathing question, but barring some "news to me" power inflation, she's always had to breathe.

And if she doesn't breathe anymore (again, news to me), she still needs to eat and drink, and Klaw doesn't.
    Last edited by Shai-Hulud; 10-04-2022 at 05:32 AM.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

While I am somewhat iffy on Klaw automatically locating Kitty somewhere in a gigantic arena and insta-blasting her when she sticks her head up to take a breath, I do feel that him sitting on the back of a giant flying sound-bird trumps her hiding underground, if only because the dude doesn't need to sleep.

Boring, silly endurance match, Klaw wins based on that. ^_^
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Mighty Member

In Astonishing X-Men (of which I don't know the canonicity), she phased a giant metal bullet in space for seemingly days/weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by StupidMoniker View Post
    In Astonishing X-Men (of which I don't know the canonicity), she phased a giant metal bullet in space for seemingly days/weeks.
    I think what happened there is that she perma-merged with the alien metal of the bullet. Or some such.

"You must become one with the giant space bullet, young grasshopper."

I still don't know how they got her out, but whatever.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

I think what happened there is that she perma-merged with the alien metal of the bullet. Or some such.

"You must become one with the giant space bullet, young grasshopper."

I still don't know how they got her out, but whatever.
    I think that Magneto used massively FTL Magnetism to detect and pull back the planet killer bullet, though I don't recall if there was any difficulty getting her to unphase after she was brought back to Earth.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    I think that Magneto used massively FTL Magnetism to detect and pull back the planet killer bullet, though I don't recall if there was any difficulty getting her to unphase after she was brought back to Earth.
    This happened. MAGNETS!

Kitty needing to breathe when phased that was constantly used to limit the power of her phasing very early on in her career. "I can walk through this wall, but if I get lost in there, I could die!" Makes sense - the X-Men mostly didn't truck in Avengers level stuff then: Wolverine's healing factor would heal him from injuries in minutes or hours instead of days. That turned into "instant" over time. Storm could fly and fire a lightning bolt and create a little fog with concentration, stuff that became "disrupt your synapses because ELECTRICITY IS IN LIGHTNING."

Even going back DECADES, KittyKate often spent hours phased. She rode to Japan in a crowded luggage compartment of a 747 way back in the Wolverine & Kitty Pryde limited series.

I imagine that it's just writer fiat after a while, and enough feats are going to be found to "prove" whatever one wishes to prove.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    Kitty needing to breathe when phased that was constantly used to limit the power of her phasing very early on in her career. "I can walk through this wall, but if I get lost in there, I could die!"
    Back in Excalibur, when her natural state was phased, I thought she had an aura that phased the oxygen around her so she could breathe. (Unless it was just never explained and I'm imagining that, lol.)

But then if she phased into a mountain, well, no oxygen there.

So for purposes of the rumble, there's canon for stipulating that she can stay phased above ground until she's exhausted from deprivation of sleep, water, etc.

Much less clear to me how she can stay phased underground for longer than she can hold her breath. Unless, as you say, "MAGNETS."

Comics. Whatever.