Extraordinary Member

Default Scariest Houses in Film & TV

What house is the scariest in film or TV?

It can be a hotel, like the Overlook in The Shining, a condo or town house. Any place where a character can stay or sleep overnight.

Mine: The Blair Witch house. Just creeped me out at the end of that movie. We used to run into houses like that when we would be deer hunting in the woods. I'd never go into any of them.

The house from Hausu. The whole thing is pretty much fully possessed by the Aunt's ghost (It's also possible all the girls also became ghosts, and previous visitors/victims, as implied when Kung-Fu is swallowed by the Chandelier and the Watermelon guy turning into a skeleton).

It's different than say, the Poltergeist house, which wasn't maloevalent in itself as much as built on top of an unmarked cemetery and according to the sequel a cult grave.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Definitely, the haunted house from Samurai Jack - Episode 35 (XXXV)

Last edited by K7P5V; 10-02-2022 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

The Marsten House (Salem's Lot)...a house described as a beacon for evil, emitting an energy that draws evil to it. "I think that house might be Hubert Marsten's monument to evil, a kind of psychic sounding board. A supernatural beacon, if you like.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 10-03-2022 at 08:26 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    The house from Hausu. The whole thing is pretty much fully possessed by the Aunt's ghost (It's also possible all the girls also became ghosts, and previous visitors/victims, as implied when Kung-Fu is swallowed by the Chandelier and the Watermelon guy turning into a skeleton).

It's different than say, the Poltergeist house, which wasn't maloevalent in itself as much as built on top of an unmarked cemetery and according to the sequel a cult grave.
    Yeah, Japanese hauntings are just creepier than others. I give you that.

I can't really think of one off the top of my head...Maybe the house in the Sandlot...

Stranger Things Season 4 had a really nice and scary house. Very good touches on it, and an homage to lots of different scary movie houses.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Most likely be that house that the Belfords live in during the film Martyrs

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

The houses from the Shining and Blair Witch that the OP mentioned certainly were scary I agree. I list those as honorable mentions.

BUT THEE HOUSE that started it all and remains the scariest is the Amityville house. So Scary the guy even saves his dog from it.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    The houses from the Shining and Blair Witch that the OP mentioned certainly were scary I agree. I list those as honorable mentions.

BUT THEE HOUSE that started it all and remains the scariest is the Amityville house. So Scary the guy even saves his dog from it.
    Yes, the Amityville house looked like it had eyes (those 2nd story windows) glaring at you.

Also, Norman Bates' house on Psycho is another oldie but goody.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Yes, the Amityville house looked like it had eyes (those 2nd story windows) glaring at you.

Also, Norman Bates' house on Psycho is another oldie but goody.
    I'm surprised that it took 10 post to get to Bates Psycho house. It has got to be one of the most Iconic and referenced houses in so many films and books.

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Hill house from the 1963 film The Haunting, every shadow reeked of danger.
    Hail Hydra!