Boisterously Confused

Default Happy Golden Anniversary Superfriends

Screenshot_20230228-051044.jpg

50 years today. It was all the televised JL fix one could get in those days (unless you were lucky enough to get reruns of the old Superman toons). Hard to believe it's farther in the past now than it was from DC's entire Golden Age was from this show.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Man, how time flies! I remember watching Super Friends back when I was 13 and thought it was awesome! Oh, yeah, I won't deny I had the hots for Wendy!

Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Man, how time flies! I remember watching Super Friends back when I was 13 and thought it was awesome! Oh, yeah, I won't deny I had the hots for Wendy!

Even as a kid, I knew that Wendy had to be voiced by the same girl who voiced Alexandra Cabot on Josie & the Pussycats.

I loved Super Friends. They were my 2nd favorite cartoon after Scooby Doo Where Are You.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Screenshot_20230228-051044.jpg

50 years today. It was all the televised JL fix one could get in those days (unless you were lucky enough to get reruns of the old Superman toons). Hard to believe it's farther in the past now than it was from DC's entire Golden Age was from this show.
    It’s still the best on-screen depiction of the Justice League. If Gunn ever works his way up to a Justice League movie or show, he’s got a high bar to clear, and I’m referring to Super Friends, not the Snyderverse.

Happy 50th wonderdog. You can now see movies at a discount price!

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Happy 50th wonderdog. You can now see movies at a discount price!

I must've forgotten all about El Dorado being on the show.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Astonishing Member

I was introduced to Superman and Batman in the Filmation series of the late 60s. Preferred that to the incredibly lame Super Friends. I guess it was better than no super-hero shows at all. I was 9 when SF debuted, and found Marvin, Wendy and Wonder Dog annoying. The Wonder Twins who replaced them were a little better -- but not by much.

This was the time that concerned parents didn't like the action shows of the 60s -- so 70s kids shows couldn't have violence. Even when Super Friends changed to Challenge of the Super Friends -- with the 'JLA' facing off against the Legion of Doom -- there were never physical altercations. I also was baffled by the inclusion of Plastic Man (in one episode) over Elongated Man.

The last iteration of Super Friends was probably the best - Super Powers. But by this time, I wasn't watching much Saturday morning TV.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I was introduced to Superman and Batman in the Filmation series of the late 60s. Preferred that to the incredibly lame Super Friends. I guess it was better than no super-hero shows at all. I was 9 when SF debuted, and found Marvin, Wendy and Wonder Dog annoying. The Wonder Twins who replaced them were a little better -- but not by much.

This was the time that concerned parents didn't like the action shows of the 60s -- so 70s kids shows couldn't have violence. Even when Super Friends changed to Challenge of the Super Friends -- with the 'JLA' facing off against the Legion of Doom -- there were never physical altercations. I also was baffled by the inclusion of Plastic Man (in one episode) over Elongated Man.

The last iteration of Super Friends was probably the best - Super Powers. But by this time, I wasn't watching much Saturday morning TV.
    I feel ya amigo. Every flaw you point out is legit.

Nonetheless, in a time where "funnybooks" were still looked down upon ("thanks" Whertham) it was all the superhero toon you could get. It contributed to the brand. I'm not certain all that's come after might have happened without it.

Astonishing Member

Correct. And I did watch a good deal of it. Loved when guest-stars like the Flash, Green Arrow and Hawkman would appear. I think I was prejudiced against Plastic Man because of his silly outfit. He didn't even wear shoes! I will say that the show had an amazing theme. And I'm sure, it would have been more to my liking without the parental controls in place at the time.

Extraordinary Member

That time Apache chief grew bigger than the Earth. Battle forums waddup!
    https://video.shadowlordinc.com/prev...f%20Growth.mp4

I didn't watch Superfriends until the Cartoon Network re-runs of the 90's, and it was my introduction to the non-Batman parts of the DC Universe. I didn't like it nearly as much as the DCAU, though. I will say it did have the best version of Mxyzptlk (even though they kept pronouncing it "Mixleplick"). My favorite bit of his was when he messed with the Wonder Twins powers:

Zan and Jayna: Wonder Twin Powers activate!
    Jayna: Form of...
    Mxyzptlk: A turkey!
    (Jayna turns into a giant turkey)
    Zan: Sh-sh-shape of...
    Mxyzptlk: An ice yo-yo!
    (Zan turns into an ice yo-yo)

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Superfriends had a great run, and I think part of that was due to the escalation of threats. The Wendy and Marvin season was just bumbling well-meaning scientists as the antagonists. Then they started fighting actual supervillains in the World's Greatest/Challenge era. Finally, in Super Powers, the bad guy was Darkseid himself. Awesome.

Also interesting to note the show chronicles the transition of Batman in the world of pop culture. Superfriends was only 5 years or so after the Adam West version. The 70's still had a more "Caped Crusader" vibe, especially with the 70's New Adventures of Batman cartoon. By the end of Super Friends in the 80's, we got a more dark and haunted Batman ("The Fear" was the first depiction of the Wayne Murders, and Adam West narrating Batman's origin and dealing with his trauma was awesome). 5 years after that episode airs comes the Tim Burton movie.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    That time Apache chief grew bigger than the Earth. Battle forums waddup!
    https://video.shadowlordinc.com/prev...f%20Growth.mp4
    I must say, Apache chief didn't sound very cool for a superhero codename. I think warpath might sound better.

Astonishing Member

All of the character created by Hanna Barbera for SF were lame. They were also responsible for Black Vulcan being used instead of the much better Black Lightning.

Wendy, Marvin and Wonder Dog were also HB creations that crippled the show. Thankfully, they were all dropped early on. There's more about that trio on Wikipedia -- including their back story. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wendy,...and_Wonder_Dog