Default Did Clark ever have any other career options in mind?

Other than working for a great metropolitan newspaper? Has he ever talked about having considered something else?

TBH i have trouble seeing him as anything BUT a newsman. It’s such an integral part of his mythos.

And what other jobs has he been shown to have? I know there’s a Superman Beyond comic where he became a firefighter for a while.

Earth One had him explore a handful of different careers. I hadn't read that in years, but I remember he looked into science and possibly athletics.

Spectacular Member

In a flashback in Action Comics 144 (May 1948), while waiting for his job application at the Planet to go through, Clark takes jobs as a cab driver, police officer, and door-to-door vacuum cleaner salesman.
    Its companion story in Adventure Comics 152 (May '50) has Clark spend his spring break as working in a restaurant, ice cream cart, and cruise ship as possible future careers.
    Superman 83 (Sep '53) and Lois Lane 20 (Oct 1960) both show alternate universes where Clark is a radio DJ.
    Last edited by Filbert; 10-03-2022 at 09:42 AM.

American Alien has him want to be a veterinarian at first.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

VERY cool, Ty guys!

In the first handful if strips after the origin, the 1939 newspaper strip has Superman tearing the door off a bank vault to save the people locked inside... but arriving too late to save all of them, as I believe two had suffocated before he could get there. That was when Kent said, "I need to hear about disasters right as they happen, and the fastest way to do that, apart from just being there already, is to hang around in a newsroom all day. I must become a reporter!" This motivation is also referenced in both Superman: the Animated Series and the film Man of Steel: "Well Lois, the truth is I'm secretly Superman, and I only pretend to be a journalist in order to hear about disasters as they happen, and then squeeze you out of the byline!" "I gotta find a job where I can keep my ear to the ground. Where people won't look twice when I want to go somewhere dangerous, and start asking questions."

As much as I love stories where Clark Kent had an independent avocation for journalism, I do think it makes sense to think of it as an extension of his Superman project. He gets to explore the human condition, but he's also constantly on the look out for people in trouble. Maybe if the world was in harmony he would be an anthropologist or a full time novelist or something. Something that lets him continue to explore the human heart and soul.

Or, maybe he would just be an ice cream salesman. Who knows?
    Last edited by Adekis; 10-10-2022 at 04:20 PM. Reason: I misplaced a whole decade in that first sentence and went almost a week without noticing! What the hell.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Astonishing Member

In Year One, Clark enlisted in the Navy and aspired to be a SEAL. (It didn't pan out, but at least he got to hook up with Lori Lemaris.)

Farming would make sense, considering Pa was one.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Other than working for a great metropolitan newspaper? Has he ever talked about having considered something else?

TBH i have trouble seeing him as anything BUT a newsman. It’s such an integral part of his mythos.

And what other jobs has he been shown to have? I know there’s a Superman Beyond comic where he became a firefighter for a while.
    He was a firefighter once