Page 94 of 207 FirstFirst ... 4484909192939495969798104144194 ... LastLast
Results 1,396 to 1,410 of 3091

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Geez, don't keep us in suspense. Show us how you're trying to break the system!
    I wouldn't really say it's a clever way, it's more the hammer approach.

It all started with breaking down the existing characters to see which stat was focused on, and seeing that aside from SKI being very favored (presumably due to holdovers from when it was directly linked to Techniques) we have a fairly good spread aside from two stats that are only focused on by one character each, namely PRE and CHR.

Then I noticed that we are all weak fools that are trying to spread our stats in a somewhat sane way, and that's no way to stress-test a system!

So this is a character focused on multiple attacks who put 90 points into PREcision.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
    It all started with breaking down the existing characters to see which stat was focused on, and seeing that aside from SKI being very favored (presumably due to holdovers from when it was directly linked to Techniques) we have a fairly good spread aside from two stats that are only focused on by one character each, namely PRE and CHR.

Then I noticed that we are all weak fools that are trying to spread our stats in a somewhat sane way, and that's no way to stress-test a system!

So this is a character focused on multiple attacks who put 90 points into PREcision.
    So, in moving away from a high damage multiple attack character in Van, you have arrived at a higher damage multiple attack character with a a different damage type.

Or, more simply, you have remade Scarlet Cross who is no longer a PC haha.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    So, in moving away from a high damage multiple attack character in Van, you have arrived at a higher damage multiple attack character with a a
    different damage type.
    In my defense I think of Van as a tank that deals a lot of damage with one big hit, this is more of a glass cannon.

Or, more simply, you have remade Scarlet Cross who is no longer a PC haha.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
    I admittedly made it a point not to check other sheets aside from the stats. The only one I looked over more seriously is Jane's, since she was the other character with high PRE and I wanted to make sure not to try the same gimmick.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Interesting idea - am curious to see how it turns out, especially since I'll be sinking more and more into PRE as the game continues.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

In my defense I think of Van as a tank that deals a lot of damage with one big hit, this is more of a glass cannon.
    An important distinction.

I admittedly made it a point not to check other sheets aside from the stats. The only one I looked over more seriously is Jane's, since she was the other character with high PRE and I wanted to make sure not to try the same gimmick.
    I only jest haha.

Scarlet was a weird build that really took advantage of how ENR and HP used to be directly intertwined prior to the introduction of Latent and Mastered ENR, her whole deal with like "Omega Class Healer/Artillery Cannon," Her build doesn't quite work as well on the current Patch. She also wasn't a glass cannon per se, more like a... cannon with almost no functions beyond "Heal," and "Shoot," she had a lot of HP but her defensive options were really limited.

Sent the first draft of the mechanics to Nik. Fingers crossed on the traits being accepted.

This seems like a strong character from my knowledge of the system, though like all my min-maxed characters it has a few clear weaknesses.

Sent the first draft of the mechanics to Nik. Fingers crossed on the traits being accepted.
    Siriel gets a gold star for "Most Audacious Trait Proposal So Far,"

This seems like a strong character from my knowledge of the system, though like all my min-maxed characters it has a few clear weaknesses.
    Are you serious? My man says "seems like a strong character," while he's asking me for a first level character that could deal multiple hundreds of DMG on any successful hit and therefore effectively insta-gib like basically anything I have designed so far that isn't specifically super durability focused.

The absolute cheek of you haha.

Have replied talking through your Traits and basic Stats. We'll get to Techniques once we've squared those away.

Siriel gets a gold star for "Most Audacious Trait Proposal So Far,"

Are you serious? My man says "seems like a strong character," while he's asking me for a first level character that could deal multiple hundreds of DMG on any successful hit and therefore effectively insta-gib like basically anything I have designed so far that isn't specifically super durability focused.

The absolute cheek of you haha.

Have replied talking through your Traits and basic Stats. We'll get to Techniques once we've squared those away.
    I didn't do the math, I'm innocent!

Of that much, I do think the traits were pushed and the stats obviously were deliberate.

I didn't do the math, I'm innocent!

Of that much, I do think the traits were pushed and the stats obviously were deliberate.
    hahaha, this is why I check things and I do do the maths.

Turns out I completely blanked on the fact that this system has no randomized factor when attacking, so one of my traits was a lot more broken than intended, and it was already pretty strong in my head. So Nik's reaction is very much justified.

The trait gave my character an additional attack (up to a cap) if she hit. Which makes perfect sense when you roll a dice to determine if you hit, and not so much otherwise.

Whoops?

So, basically if you hit, you hit up to the cap.

Seems fine.

Wait, no. O_o
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Ah, so the character could just keep attacking potentially? I could see how that could trouble nik

On a side note the character I've been looking at (just for fun) that relies on switching is also a generalist, but with more of a trait based approach to making things interesting
    Last edited by Postmania; 01-08-2023 at 02:06 PM.
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    Ah, so the character could just keep attacking potentially? I could see how that could trouble nik

On a side note the character I've been looking at (just for fun) that relies on switching is also a generalist, but with more of a trait based approach to making things interesting
    Colour me curious.

It's always fun to see what we can get away with for traits. The cutoff for something constant seems to be a 'Lesser Spirit Status Effect' (but not all of them! 'Awareness' - possibly for obvious reasons - is at least one no-no) equivalent. One of mine now has a Lesser Body Status Effect, but I'm limited to using it once per round/level of experience (so currently once).
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 01-08-2023 at 07:49 PM.
    Why are we here?

Also at some point I need to figure out what to do with my Epic Mind tech, but for now... *shrugs* It'll probably end up getting slapped in with another Epic tech or something.
    Why are we here?

So, buffs.

If you use a technique to do something like add STR to yourself that basically lasts until the next turn right, but ends before your next action. But I see that with Debuffs at least some of these things last multiple turns. So do CHR based buffs also last multiple turns if its Honed and up?
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie