Page 161 of 207 FirstFirst ... 61111151157158159160161162163164165171 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,415 of 3091

Hm, flying enemies beware!
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

And a heap of new Spirit Effects:

OFFENSIVE EFFECTS
    As before, these are flat checks of ATK Power vs Target RES on a Pass/Fail basis. Only a Perfect Dodge or Perfect Counter prevents the RES check from happening.

PARALYSE
    Restricts movement and slows reactions.
    Lesser: Stiffen
    Lowers the target's movement value by 40%, adds -15 to any HIT checks and prevents the target from taking the Dodge response on reaction until the end of their next turn.

Greater: Lock
    Lowers the target's movement value by 90%, adds -30 to any HIT checks and prevents the target from taking the Dodge response on reaction for the next 3 turns.

CURSE
    Erodes RES as a stat.
    Lesser: Haunted
    Lowers the target's RES by -15 for 2 turns. If used with other effects as part of the same Technique, the debuff effect will not be applied to the enemy until the attacking Technique is completed.

Greater: Damned
    Lowers the target's RES by -30 for 4 turns. If used with other effects as part of the same Technique, the debuff effect to RES will be applied to the enemy first, making all other statuses on this Technique more likely to be inflicted.

SICKEN
    Weakens and enemy and reduces their offensive options.
    Lesser: Poison
    Lowers DUR stat by -15 and removes 1 Basic ATK action from the target for two turns. The DUR debuff can be stacked with other instances of Sicken, the action removal cannot.

Greater: Toxic
    Lowers DUR stat by -30 and removes 1 Basic ATK action from the target for four turns. The DUR debuff can be stacked with other instances of Sicken, the action removal cannot.

SPIRIT STRIKE
    Allows the attacking of the Stack System.
    Lesser: Shatter
    Breaks the target's Stack Matrix. This forces any active Stack points to be removed and burns any ENR tied up in the Stack system as if it had been used.

Greater: Devastate
    Breaks the target's Stack Matrix. This forces any active Stack points to be removed, burns any ENR tied up in the Stack system as if it had been used and inflicts half of that amount to the opponent as damage. The target's Stack will then be inaccessible for 3 turns.

DISARM
    Removes or steals weaponry. (Weapons have not been encountered in the game at time of writing)
    Lesser: Neutralise
    If the target has a weapon (as recognised by the system) then this attack will cause them to drop it. They must spend a Basic ATK action to pick up and re-arm themselves should they choose to do so.

Greater: Repurpose
    If the target has a weapon (as recognised by the system) then this attack will cause it to be thrown from their grip and into the hands of the attacker. They may choose to spend a RAC point to contest SKI vs SKI with the attacker to see if they can prevent the attacker from catching it. If the target is successful, then they will take the weapon back and get a free Basic ATK on the attacker, if they fail then they lose the weapon and the attacker gains a free Basic ATK on them.

DEFENSIVE EFFECTS
    Boosts and buffs that can be applied to the attacker or their allies with an appropriate Technique.

SHIELD
    Buffs defensive options.
    Lesser: Bubble
    Allows for DUR boosting with Spiritual Effect. Functions as effectively Uncanny Dodge for Blocking. When attacked while under this condition, if the target fails a Block check then they can add the required points to make it a Perfect Dodge from the stat boost provided to them. This subtracts from the overall boost and will drop further on subsequent attacks.

Example:

Jane activates a Honed Spirit Technique that also grants her Shield. This means that her DUR stat has an additional +40 to use on Block checks.

She is attacked for 40 ATK Power, passes her HIT check [burning 1 RAC point] and opts to Block. With her stats of 10 STR and 10 AGI, this would normally be a bad option for her as she would be 32 points short of Perfectly Blocking and would, under normal circumstances, burn that number in Mastered ENR to complete her Block.

However, with a Shield status active, she can burn 32 points of the stat boost to pass the check, preserving her Mastered ENR. After doing so, she has 8 points of boost remaining for further Block checks.

She is then attacked again for 40 ATK Power, she Blocks again. This time she can only offset 8 points before the stat boost is spent so she would burn a reduced 24 Mastered ENR on Block and the effect is now over.

Additionally, Shield causes the user to automatically pass Hit Checks, removing the need to burn RAC points, on Block response specifically on ranged and AoE attacks. This is, in essence automatic blocking, for the next 3 ranged attacks or until the end of their next turn. This also renders the target immune to the shockwave of Thunderclap effects deployed nearby.

Greater: Rampart
    As above but all effects; automatic blocking on Ranged and AoE attacks, and Thunderclap immunity, will last for the next three turns.

REDIRECT
    Greater Effect only. Allows the user to redirect damage. Until the start of their next turn, upon taking damage the user will absorb said damage. Half of the damage will be felt as normal but they will be able to redirect the other half of the damage amount to an enemy within 1/2 of their range. This damage amount will be applied with the formula (DMG Value - Target's RES/2) and will bypass any Hit Check responses. If the target has Shield active then their full RES stat will be removed from the damage value.

PARRY
    Can only be applied to a Counter Technique of Honed level or above. Upon success will knock an attacking enemy Prone.
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 03-30-2023 at 02:32 AM.

If people want to rejig existing Techniques to take advantage of the new effects, that's allowed since we're in the early game.

Weapons will be explained when we encounter them in-game. To just head off an obvious initial question, any characters that come with weapons as part of their initial build are not technically perceived as weapons and cannot be disarmed. Jane's guns are a part of her body, Ella's weaponry are things she manifests and are parts of her body.

Yes, I am softly glad that Maximo and Van, the sword weilders, are not really a factor any more as I did a lot of deliberating about whether to just give them an initial weapon or not.

Oh those are some cool Spirit effects. Dizzy still works for what Jane is up to, but some of those might be even better thematically.
    -Stephen McCranie

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

There's some stuff that would certainly be more applicable for Krys. I'll have a look tomorrow.

Thanks, Nik!
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    So there's a small logical step from events that needs to occur, which will concern Kinu, so I'm keen to get there before Gen goes off on holiday.

I'll give players say until the 22nd to do any conversations or reactions or whatever and then we'll advance through the dramatic stuff and then we can advance in other directions while Gen is on leave.
    ...oh man, it's happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    Took a wrong turn at [S]Albuquerque[/S] that lamp post a few yards back. :V
    Hmm...yeah I'll try to get a reply up later tonight, reconnect with the group and maybe meet Ella in a bit.

GM Note: (Interpreting this as an Insight check request. I will note that Kinu's Insight is not great.)
    No, indeed it is not! =D

Additionaly what she might recognize as magic from her home reality likely also operated on different mechanics. Intuiting what something might be is entirely different to understanding how it works.

...of course this is a person who fought witches with Kimura locks, so her understanding wasn't entirely up to snuff to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    Skill Matrix
    Manipulation: 4 points - 1 component
    Creation: 9 points - 2 components
    Communion: 4 points - 1 component
    Knowledge: 4 points - 1 component
    Magnitude: 21

Touch of Death: Jane uses but a small part of her necromantic energies and touches them to an object. Rapidly decays and deteriorates inorganic material, allowing for potential new pathways. Magnitude required is effected by material of the object and the scope of the desired effect. (1 Manipulation)

SkullSeeker:
    Jane forms a drone in the shape of a flying Skull and partial spinal cord, summoned from her realm of Death. This allows for her detection range to be expanded and emanate from the drone's sensors at a distance. The information comes back to her in real time. The drone can be reassembled indefinitely although continuous destruction may cause the assembling to take more time. (1 Creation)

Hunter's Blind: Jane manifests a circle which dulls the senses via spirits surrounding the magical area which enhances the Stealth of any ally in the area. To the allies within the circle, the circle appears as a room, building itself around them with strange emerald seeming sequences and reflecting the minds of those within. Magnitude is influence by the number of people within, their passive Stealth and the size of the circle. (1 Creation)

System Seance: Jane speaks to spirits in her vicinity. What they say back depends on the area, their circumstances, and GM input. Assists with Insight checks. (1 Communion)

Spectral Sight: Jane veils over her optical sensors with spiritual energy, allowing her to see spirits and slightly improving her Notice abilities pertaining to spiritual matters and detecting entities with a spritual presence. (1 Knowledge).
    Skills all added to the profile, so now she has them.

Also have a playlist for Jane stuff if anyone feels like a listen

Playlist for various Jane and Jane related things

Theme for Jane (The Assassin): https://youtu.be/I4EGZ277si0
    Theme for Jane (The Avatar of Techno-Death): https://youtu.be/NdSyrA9de2M
    Theme for Jane: https://youtu.be/IlxPv7Qoqls

Theme for Jane's Facility: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZbOjujqQD4

Theme for Nekro: https://youtu.be/fKJNeX7VEnQ
    -Stephen McCranie

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post
    ...oh man, it's happening.
    And Gen has immediately changed the plan haha.

Welp, this is emergent gameplay, so we'll see how this rolls.

If Nik actually makes her disappear somehow bc of infinite geometries that could be a cool scare for the characters
    To be fair, Van wandered off on her own and you haven't seen her since. She's as good as gone.

Also Kinu I think you are the only active participant who has not added Skills to their character sheet at the moment.

Please refer to the Skills Guide

Kinu has the following components:

Kinu
    Manipulation: 5 points -> 2 components
    Creation: 5 points -> 2 components
    Communion: 5 points -> 2 components
    Knowledge: 2 points -> 1 component
    Magnitude: 17

And Gen has immediately changed the plan haha.

Welp, this is emergent gameplay, so we'll see how this rolls.
    Oh I thought this was what you were referring to heh. Jane has mentioned it too.
    -Stephen McCranie

Oh I thought this was what you were referring to heh. Jane has mentioned it too.
    Real talk, in the encounter that Jane experienced through her Death Sense, there was no sorcerer present. The dogs can shoot fireballs on their own, that whole sorcerer bit was something you came up with from your interpretation rather than something that was actually present in my writing.

However, because Blindness Status, inflicted by Ella on all the dogs, prevents single target ranged attacks from being performed I couldn't shoot as much fire as I had hoped in the actual fight. I was pleased when Krys healed the dog and gave me an opportunity to shoot them in the face with a fireball in the hopes that Jane would clock it and realise that there was no sorcerer present and that the dogs did it themselves.

I did have a plan for laying out a lead for you guys to follow after the dogs were all dead that would lead to other stuff in the future but I also didn't anticipate on Kinu gaining the allegiance of one of the hellhounds so here we are and taking a much more direct route to more stuff.

I am very much replanning this questline on the fly.

Oh this is definitely interesting then
    -Stephen McCranie

Oh this is definitely interesting then
    GM-ing is a constant exercise in replanning things haha.

I like the sound of a "more direct route to more stuff" though! Always like the feeling of being somewhere it feels I shouldn't be
    -Stephen McCranie