Page 143 of 207 FirstFirst ... 4393133139140141142143144145146147153193 ... LastLast
Results 2,131 to 2,145 of 3091
    Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Sharkerbob just to check;

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    OOC: Krys or the others may notice there are faint threads standing out somewhat from Rae's dress, almost like antenna, where there hadn't been before. From the way they are poised and positioned, they are loose enough to drift a bit in the wind, but any one of the threads could move like a quick tendril. Nemo trusts Rae to react on her behalf while she is distracted.
    Is this usage of the Technique Whisker Aura? If so, please confirm so I can update Nemo's energy reserves.

If not, this is a little bit outside of what Rae is meant to be capable of doing as covered by the Trait on your sheet. I'm not overly worried about it in this instance, it's a very minor thing, but I would appreciate it if players stick to capabilities that are confirmed in their build.

Or you can add it as a function of the Trait. Call it like "In this defensive posture, Rae will automatically try and Block Attacks while Nemo is prone or victim of any Stun effects by will use her own stats to do so,"

Since Rae only has base stats, it won't be much but it's something. Let me know!
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 03-05-2023 at 05:23 PM.

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Sharkerbob just to check;

Is this usage of the Technique Whisker Aura? If so, please confirm so I can update Nemo's energy reserves.

If not, this is a little bit outside of what Rae is meant to be capable of doing as covered by the Trait on your sheet. I'm not overly worried about it in this instance, it's a very minor thing, but I would appreciate it if players stick to capabilities that are confirmed in their build.

Or you can add it as a function of the Trait. Call it like "In this defensive posture, Rae will automatically try and Block Attacks while Nemo is prone or victim of any Stun effects by will use her own stats to do so,"

Since Rae only has base stats, it won't be much but it's something. Let me know!
    It's more that Rae is getting ready to yank Nemo to the side in case something comes at her. But if this is to be considered a technique move, I'll drop it, sorry.

Honestly, I wasn't really thinking about it that way, but I guess it would have to count as a move, huh? I could factor it into the trait, but does that cost ENR each round to maintain, or just when she has to make a Dodge attempt?

While we're on that, same question for the Whisker Aura, I might have misunderstood, will she have to burn ENR for it to be active, or do I just burn the ENR when she dodges and flavor the bonus as the Whisker Aura?

EDIT: I went ahead and deleted it just to keep it simple, next time I'll mark it as a technique if I want to try it again.
    Last edited by Sharkerbob; 03-05-2023 at 06:58 PM.

Realistically I think Ván would have boldly joined the fight, but I'm in the middle of a bout of insomnia that's been lasting for over a week which leaves my creativity at a low, and I don't want to hold up a fight with the likely slow replies that would result in so I had her stay hidden for a bit longer. That way I can hopefully start sleeping normally again before joining the mechanics side of things.
    Last edited by Siriel; 03-06-2023 at 01:43 AM.

It's more that Rae is getting ready to yank Nemo to the side in case something comes at her. But if this is to be considered a technique move, I'll drop it, sorry.

Honestly, I wasn't really thinking about it that way, but I guess it would have to count as a move, huh? I could factor it into the trait, but does that cost ENR each round to maintain, or just when she has to make a Dodge attempt?
    If you have it in the current Trait for Rae then it wouldn't cost ENR but I would be a lot more restrictive on activation conditions and it would be a lot less powerful.

If you want to have control over it and make it more powerful then, when you level up at some point, you would want to make Reaction Technique (amping AGI or SPD) and then just use it like any other Technique.

If you want it to be Persistent (as in Rae is effectively always assisting in Dodge checks), then you could use a Trait for it later in the game when you level to add it (we would discuss more advanced mechanics then) or you could either make a new Persistent Technique (which would cost ENR to activate and to maintain) or have a Mind Technique that buffs AGI for a number of turns with the flavour that Rae is now assisting Nemo with dodges and movement for this period.

So you got a lot of options.

While we're on that, same question for the Whisker Aura, I might have misunderstood, will she have to burn ENR for it to be active, or do I just burn the ENR when she dodges and flavor the bonus as the Whisker Aura?
    Okay, so your notation is a little unclear to be honest which I probably should have flagged at the time. So, it kind of depends how you want the Technique to function in game; whether the buff is helping Nemo /achieve/ reactions, as in passing a HIT check so she can take defensive action of any type, or is it making her able to Dodge faster/more powerful attacks albeit not actually help her react to them.

Those would be slightly different constructions of Technique. So, let me know which one you'd prefer and I can advise you.

Additionally, because Nemo has low CHR and you only have a Mundane slot to work with, having it be a Mind Technique is not really that optimal. The benefit for Mind based Techniques is that you get Persistent Duration on a buff at no additional cost but the power of those buffs is lower than a more direct shorter Technique. Because it's Mundane, it's only lasting "until the end of her next turn" and the buff would only be +6.

Whereas, if you make it a Reaction Technique and have it boost AGI, you'll be getting a +20 to your Dodge attempts.

EDIT: I went ahead and deleted it just to keep it simple, next time I'll mark it as a technique if I want to try it again.
    No problem, I'm just keen to keep track of everyone's ENR as we go on.

Quote Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
    Realistically I think Ván would have boldly joined the fight, but I'm in the middle of a bout of insomnia that's been lasting for over a week which leaves my creativity at a low, and I don't want to hold up a fight with the likely slow replies that would result in so I had her stay hidden for a bit longer. That way I can hopefully start sleeping normally again before joining the mechanics side of things.
    Duly noted, I shall take it as read that she is privy to Ella and the Mysterious Robot encounter going on at present.

Krys definitely getting the idea of "walking into infinity is easy, walking back out again might be a challenge," I see hehe. Enjoyable post.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Krys definitely getting the idea of "walking into infinity is easy, walking back out again might be a challenge," I see hehe. Enjoyable post.
    When limited to the dimensions in which the infinite exists, yeah.

Glad you liked it.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
    Everyone havin' it rough lately.

Take care of yourself.

If you have it in the current Trait for Rae then it wouldn't cost ENR but I would be a lot more restrictive on activation conditions and it would be a lot less powerful.

If you want to have control over it and make it more powerful then, when you level up at some point, you would want to make Reaction Technique (amping AGI or SPD) and then just use it like any other Technique.

If you want it to be Persistent (as in Rae is effectively always assisting in Dodge checks), then you could use a Trait for it later in the game when you level to add it (we would discuss more advanced mechanics then) or you could either make a new Persistent Technique (which would cost ENR to activate and to maintain) or have a Mind Technique that buffs AGI for a number of turns with the flavour that Rae is now assisting Nemo with dodges and movement for this period.

So you got a lot of options.
    Sounds good, will wait for level up to suss it out, then!

Okay, so your notation is a little unclear to be honest which I probably should have flagged at the time. So, it kind of depends how you want the Technique to function in game; whether the buff is helping Nemo /achieve/ reactions, as in passing a HIT check so she can take defensive action of any type, or is it making her able to Dodge faster/more powerful attacks albeit not actually help her react to them.

Those would be slightly different constructions of Technique. So, let me know which one you'd prefer and I can advise you.
    Conceptually, Whisker Aura does need to be activated, but it's such a minor ability, it shouldn't cost much to use even in Persistent. Nemo can activate it and let it run subconsciously for a while. It's more to mimic how a rat's whiskers help them feel around in the dark, except as an "Aura" it's a full-body sensation, so she'll feel if she's about to, say, back into a wall or something. Realistically, for battle support, it's about the most crippled version of Spider-Sense you could have while still being remotely functional, but with good enough reaction speed, Rat Mages can use for a quarter-of-a-second warning for something about to grab or strike them.

I wasn't sure exactly how that would work mechanically, but it should help with achieving a reaction rather than actually making her faster in a Dodge attempt.

Additionally, because Nemo has low CHR and you only have a Mundane slot to work with, having it be a Mind Technique is not really that optimal. The benefit for Mind based Techniques is that you get Persistent Duration on a buff at no additional cost but the power of those buffs is lower than a more direct shorter Technique. Because it's Mundane, it's only lasting "until the end of her next turn" and the buff would only be +6.

Whereas, if you make it a Reaction Technique and have it boost AGI, you'll be getting a +20 to your Dodge attempts.
    Seemed like it was solidly an "awareness" technique, so I thought it fit best with Mind, but if you think it would work best under Body or something, and just flavor it as awareness, I can tweak it.

No problem, I'm just keen to keep track of everyone's ENR as we go on.
    Sure thing!

Conceptually, Whisker Aura does need to be activated, but it's such a minor ability, it shouldn't cost much to use even in Persistent. Nemo can activate it and let it run subconsciously for a while. It's more to mimic how a rat's whiskers help them feel around in the dark, except as an "Aura" it's a full-body sensation, so she'll feel if she's about to, say, back into a wall or something. Realistically, for battle support, it's about the most crippled version of Spider-Sense you could have while still being remotely functional, but with good enough reaction speed, Rat Mages can use for a quarter-of-a-second warning for something about to grab or strike them.

I wasn't sure exactly how that would work mechanically, but it should help with achieving a reaction rather than actually making her faster in a Dodge attempt.
    Okay, so I have good news and bad news. Good news, I know what it should be; a Mind Technique boosting CHR which will buff BRA. BRA is the stat that factors into all HIT checks so if you're looking to assist reactions then BRA is the best bet. Also, Mind Techniques are built to be longer lasting with no upkeep so that fits conceptually.

Bad news, it is both a Mundane Technique so the duration is currently short and Nemo's CHR sucks so the boost is minimal.

However, you will be able to upgrade the Technique as you level and put some more points into CHR if you should so choose which will make it stronger.

So currently, it's a +6 BRA (or +11 if you use Stack on CHR) until the end of the turn after she casts it. If you upgrade it to Honed and don't even put anything further into CHR, then it would go up to 4 turns of effect and rise to +16 BRA (or +21 with Stack).

Okay, progress though! ^_^

Okay, so I have good news and bad news. Good news, I know what it should be; a Mind Technique boosting CHR which will buff BRA. BRA is the stat that factors into all HIT checks so if you're looking to assist reactions then BRA is the best bet. Also, Mind Techniques are built to be longer lasting with no upkeep so that fits conceptually.

Bad news, it is both a Mundane Technique so the duration is currently short and Nemo's CHR sucks so the boost is minimal.

However, you will be able to upgrade the Technique as you level and put some more points into CHR if you should so choose which will make it stronger.

So currently, it's a +6 BRA (or +11 if you use Stack on CHR) until the end of the turn after she casts it. If you upgrade it to Honed and don't even put anything further into CHR, then it would go up to 4 turns of effect and rise to +16 BRA (or +21 with Stack).

Okay, progress though! ^_^
    That'll work for me! I wasn't thinking it would actually see much use, so placeholdering it until I can upgrade to better functionality will be fine.

Hope all this is helping ya ironing out the system! :V

Alas, the plight of the smoothbrained, lol

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post
    Alas, the plight of the smoothbrained, lol
    Hey, it's not so bad. If anything my most recent response to Jane shows that trying to learn information might be an unpleasant proposition. ^_^

Yeah that is brutal. Gonna be a fun thing to respond to though
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    Yeah that is brutal. Gonna be a fun thing to respond to though
    Just to check Post, given that Jane is now using Stack, I assume she's deactivated Death Sense, yes?

Just to check Post, given that Jane is now using Stack, I assume she's deactivated Death Sense, yes?
    Yep, definitely.
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    Yep, definitely.
    Cool please do make sure to note that in your future posts. We're in early days of the campaign so I'm being lenient but, if you forget to specifically turn it off in future, I'll be minded to let you proceed with -10 BRA and no ability to Stack without highlighting the error until it becomes necessary.

Got a lot of rules and a lot of ways to throw players into bad spots hehehe. Might as well use them.