Page 22 of 207 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425263272122 ... LastLast
    Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Noldere View Post
    I've got an idea for a healer of sorts, if you feel like stretching a little.

If not, do you mind checking the math on something that'a not relevant?
    Well, we've not heard from Cleric in a while. He might not be appearing. Feel free to make a character and we'll just see how it goes.

Either way, happy to math check whatever.

Archmanifestation of YOLO Noldere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Well, we've not heard from Cleric in a while. He might not be appearing. Feel free to make a character and we'll just see how it goes.

Either way, happy to math check whatever.
    In that case, I have a question regarding multi-target techniques.

Can the user exclude potential targets from one, or is everyone in the area of effect potentially affected.

If the latter, can a trait possibly change this?

Also, it's not relevant at the moment, but would it be possible for an upgraded technique to have different effects depending on who's being targeted?
    This signature intentionally left blank.

Surprise attacks only affect chances to hit right (in addition to the attack hitting both HP and ENR)? That was what I interpreted HIT and ATK to be.
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Bit later than I wanted, but time to get to work on revising my **** lol

Nik gave me a head start via PM, but I want to take a little more time with this. I will be fixing and finishing my OC Bio over the next few days.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Froggy, do I spy a character from the now very old RPG The Future Is On Fire in there?

I see my old boy Force #27 getting a shout out! So that's... four former RPG characters being repurposed. I like this trend haha. Added her to the cast list.

(Very minor spoilers for plot stuff, I am repurposing a couple of my old RPG characters to be NPCs)
    Lol that’s wild, glad I wasn’t the only one but he felt like a cool reference to have honestly. Profile finished up tomorrow btw
    Brad Pitt for Grifter in a WildCATS movie

In that case, I have a question regarding multi-target techniques.

Can the user exclude potential targets from one, or is everyone in the area of effect potentially affected.

If the latter, can a trait possibly change this?
    Selective targeting on AoE stuff would require a Trait to unlock.

Also, it's not relevant at the moment, but would it be possible for an upgraded technique to have different effects depending on who's being targeted?
    What kind of thing did you have in mind? Like, healing is based around PRE, would you want "Heal allies for X PRE and damage enemies for X PRE," that sort of thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    Surprise attacks only affect chances to hit right (in addition to the attack hitting both HP and ENR)? That was what I interpreted HIT and ATK to be.
    Not quite.

Surprise attack gives an automatic +25 to both the HIT check (SPD/SKI/BRA) and a +25 to the resulting damage (STR/PRE/CHR) and 50% of that final damage will bypass ENR defence and be transmitted directly to HP.

So, an example:

Jane has 50 SKI and 60 PRE. She surprise attacks a guy with 25 BRA/15 SKI/10 SPD and 35 RES. With the surprise attack, she gets +25 to both her SKI and PRE [HIT and ATK stats respectively].

50 + 25 = 75 SKI vs 50 (BRA+SKI+SPD) HIT check = -25 on HIT so the guy doesn't get to react and has to soak it.

Jane's PRE is 85 due to the surprise attack so 85 PRE - 35 RES = 50 DMG. Normally this would all be spent on ENR damage first but because it is a Surprise Attack, 25 DMG is dealt directly to HP while the rest is dealt to ENR.

Selective targeting on AoE stuff would require a Trait to unlock.
    If that's a Trait that's possible to get at game start, then that's most likely going to be one of the two I'll start with. Because nothing would cause a group to turn on you faster than healing the enemy.

What kind of thing did you have in mind? Like, healing is based around PRE, would you want "Heal allies for X PRE and damage enemies for X PRE," that sort of thing?
    Indeed, something that could heal allies for X PRE while dealing X PRE damage to enemies. I see an alternative path if that's not a thing, though.

On a different note, what follows isn't what I'm working on for (possible) submission but the thing I wanted to post for math checking earlier. Not much there, but then lack of sleep makes for wild writing- and it's best I not subject anyone to that.

spoilers:

Trait: Scion of the Four Winds [(+10 AGI, +10 SPD, Flight, +10 VS Fling), (+15 PRE, + 5 SKI, Basic Ranged Attack, -5 ENR cost for wind techniques)]

STR (Strength) - 10 + 15 + 00 + 00 = 25
    AGI (Agility) - 10 + 27 + 10 + 03 = 50
    SPD (Speed) - 10 + 23 + 10 + 07 = 50
    DUR (Durability) - 10 + 12 + 00 + 03 = 25
    RES (Resistance) - 10 + 13 + 00 + 02 = 25
    BRA (Brainpower) - 10 + 34 + 00 + 06 = 50
    PRE (Precision) - 10 + 00 + 15 + 00 = 25
    CHR (Charisma) - 10 + 09 + 00 + 06 = 25
    SKI (Skill) - 40 + 04 + 05 + 01 = 50
    ENR (Energy, Stat) - 10 + 13 + 00 + 02 = 25

ENR (Energy, Combat) - 250 (ENR * 10)
    HP (Health Points) - 105 (1.5 * STR + 2 * DUR + 0.75 * RES)
    MAX Life - 355 (ENR + HP)
    RAC (Reactions) - 4 [1 + ([BRA TOTAL] + [SPD TOTAL])/50 + IF(AGI >= 50, 1, 0)]
    ATK (Basic Attack Actions) - 2 [1 + IF(SPD >= 50, 1, 0)]
    MOV (Movement) - 50 (SPD)
    TEC (Technique Uses) - 2 [1 + IF(SKI >= 50, 1, 0)]
    Range - 125 ft (ENR/2)

RES Specification(s) - 1; -10 PRE

Vs STR Attack - 100 (BRA + SPD)
    Vs PRE Attack - 150 (BRA + SKI + SPD)
    Vs CHR Attack - 100 (BRA + SKI)

Dodge - 50 (AGI)
    Counter - 50 (SKI)
    Interrupt - 25 [(BRA, SKI, or SPD) / 2, applied to both HIT and DMG]

Techniques:

Breath of Life [Mundane Melee (+10 PRE), HP Recovery]
    Foul Zephyr [Mundane Ranged (+ 15 CHR), Recalibrate]
    Second Wind [Mundane Ranged (+7 PRE), ENR Recovery]
    Temper Tempest [Honed Area of Effect (+20 STR), Counter, Fling]
    end of spoilers

If that's a Trait that's possible to get at game start, then that's most likely going to be one of the two I'll start with. Because nothing would cause a group to turn on you faster than healing the enemy.
    You could certainly have that if you so choose. I note that, at the moment with the proposed techniques on your sheet, you only have a Honed AoE which deals damage rather than healing.

Also, Honed AoEs aren't massive so it wouldn't be too hard to avoid enemies unless there's a real pitched melee going on.

Indeed, something that could heal allies for X PRE while dealing X PRE damage to enemies. I see an alternative path if that's not a thing, though.
    It's an interesting idea. Without committing to it, I imagine that would be something for Ascendant Techniques. I do want Ascendant Techniques to be high ENR but absolutely gonzo in terms of scope as they are meant to represent your characters' absolute maximum abilities.

On a different note, what follows isn't what I'm working on for (possible) submission but the thing I wanted to post for math checking earlier. Not much there, but then lack of sleep makes for wild writing- and it's best I not subject anyone to that.

spoilers:

Trait: Scion of the Four Winds [(+10 AGI, +10 SPD, Flight, +10 VS Fling), (+15 PRE, + 5 SKI, Basic Ranged Attack, -5 ENR cost for wind techniques)]

STR (Strength) - 10 + 15 + 00 + 00 = 25
    AGI (Agility) - 10 + 27 + 10 + 03 = 50
    SPD (Speed) - 10 + 23 + 10 + 07 = 50
    DUR (Durability) - 10 + 12 + 00 + 03 = 25
    RES (Resistance) - 10 + 13 + 00 + 02 = 25
    BRA (Brainpower) - 10 + 34 + 00 + 06 = 50
    PRE (Precision) - 10 + 00 + 15 + 00 = 25
    CHR (Charisma) - 10 + 09 + 00 + 06 = 25
    SKI (Skill) - 40 + 04 + 05 + 01 = 50
    ENR (Energy, Stat) - 10 + 13 + 00 + 02 = 25

ENR (Energy, Combat) - 250 (ENR * 10)
    HP (Health Points) - 106 (1.5 * STR + 2 * DUR + 0.75 * RES)
    MAX Life - 356 (ENR + HP)
    RAC (Reactions) - 4 [1 + ([BRA TOTAL] + [SPD TOTAL])/50 + IF(AGI >= 50, 1, 0)]
    ATK (Basic Attack Actions) - 2 [1 + IF(SPD >= 50, 1, 0)]
    MOV (Movement) - 50 (SPD)
    TEC (Technique Uses) - 2 [1 + IF(SKI >= 50, 1, 0)]
    Range - 125 ft (ENR/2)

RES Specification(s) - 1; -10 PRE

Vs STR Attack - 100 (BRA + SPD)
    Vs PRE Attack - 150 (BRA + SKI + SPD)
    Vs CHR Attack - 100 (BRA + SKI)

Dodge - 50 (AGI)
    Counter - 50 (SKI)
    Interrupt - 25 [(BRA, SKI, or SPD) / 2, applied to both HIT and DMG]

Techniques:

Breath of Life [Mundane Melee (+20 PRE), HP Recovery]
    Foul Zephyr [Mundane Ranged (+ 15 CHR), Recalibrate]
    Second Wind [Mundane Ranged (+15 PRE), ENR Recovery]
    Temper Tempest [Honed Area of Effect (+20 STR), Counter, Fling]
    end of spoilers
    Aha, I see the hyper defensive interruption concept we discussed earlier makes their appearance. An amusing and super weird character to plug into the fight matrix.

The word on your traits is a little weird, looks like one Trait with the powers of two but I assume it's two separate ones?

Maths largely checks out. HP is actually 106 rather than 105 making your effective max 356.

Breath of Life should be +20 not +10, it's a Mundane with no ranged component and Mundane Techniques can't be AoE. Second Wind should also be +15. Corrections all underlined. Otherwise looks good!

Do you have a name and do you wish to be added to the cast list? Or is this just an exercise? I know you said you didn't have a lot of free time to play.
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 10-20-2022 at 04:31 AM.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Aha, I see the hyper defensive interruption concept we discussed earlier makes their appearance. An amusing and super weird character to plug into the fight matrix.
    I did mention people would find other ways of doing it. And that it would naturally occur in time with increases in stats. ^_^
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Thinking about interruptions, have made a small clarification to what "near to you," means and the opening paragraph on Interruptions now reads as (amendments marked in bold):

Reaction Points outside of Defence/Interruptions
    Outside of your turn, if an ally is attacked near to you (Within 10+1/4 of your total movement) and you have a RAC point, you can spend the point to choose to interrupt the opponent's attack and sacrifice 25% of your total movement on your next turn per interruption. If the distance between you and the interruption is <10 feet then no movement sacrifice is required.
    This functionally limits to the number of roaming interruption actions you can do per phase to 4 at the cost of your total movement for your next turn. If you are right next to an opponent then you can just mess with them for free as long as you have the RAC points.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Thinking about interruptions, have made a small clarification to what "near to you," means and the opening paragraph on Interruptions now reads as (amendments marked in bold):

This functionally limits to the number of roaming interruption actions you can do per phase to 4 at the cost of your total movement for your next turn. If you are right next to an opponent then you can just mess with them for free as long as you have the RAC points.
    Clarification good. 'Roaming interruption actions', hee hee hee. ^_^

I guess you'll need to have maps - either in your head, or on paper.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Not quite.

Surprise attack gives an automatic +25 to both the HIT check (SPD/SKI/BRA) and a +25 to the resulting damage (STR/PRE/CHR) and 50% of that final damage will bypass ENR defence and be transmitted directly to HP.

So, an example:

Jane has 50 SKI and 60 PRE. She surprise attacks a guy with 25 BRA/15 SKI/10 SPD and 35 RES. With the surprise attack, she gets +25 to both her SKI and PRE [HIT and ATK stats respectively].

50 + 25 = 75 SKI vs 50 (BRA+SKI+SPD) HIT check = -25 on HIT so the guy doesn't get to react and has to soak it.

Jane's PRE is 85 due to the surprise attack so 85 PRE - 35 RES = 50 DMG. Normally this would all be spent on ENR damage first but because it is a Surprise Attack, 25 DMG is dealt directly to HP while the rest is dealt to ENR.
    I see. Not something I'm really expecting with Jane too much but if I were to just dress up a second character( for fun which wouldn't be played) that would be something I would try and look at.
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

You could certainly have that if you so choose.
    Neat.

Also, Honed AoEs aren't massive so it wouldn't be too hard to avoid enemies unless there's a real pitched melee going on.
    The character I'm planning (not the exercise from above) may start with two Epic Persistent Ranged AoEs (if that's an allowed thing) and will at least (if not) start with one Epic Ranged AoE. Being able to avoid people that should be avoided is probably for the best.

It's funny, because this character being hyper defensive wasn't even intentional. When I was mentioning interrupt monsters earlier, I actually was tinkering with an unbalanced SPD-focused concept. That this works almost as good (and is a lot more well-rounded besides) is something of a neat coincidence.

The word on your traits is a little weird, looks like one Trait with the powers of two but I assume it's two separate ones?
    It's supposed to be two traits (of a prospective four) that share the same base name but have different subnames (Scion of the Four Winds - Zephyr, Scion of the Four Winds - Boreas, etc.), but I didn't finish the type.

Maths largely checks out. HP is actually 106 rather than 105 making your effective max 356.
    Hmm...

*Smacks head*

I ended up FLOORing each component to HP before adding instead of FLOORing the sum, which is where the difference is coming from.

Breath of Life should be +20 not +10, it's a Mundane with no ranged component and Mundane Techniques can't be AoE. Second Wind should also be +15. Corrections all underlined. Otherwise looks good!
    I think I added those sometime between Rehab Monster #2 and Red Bull #1, so I'm surprised it didn't come up complete gibberish.

Do you have a name and do you wish to be added to the cast list? Or is this just an exercise? I know you said you didn't have a lot of free time to play.
    What I put in spoilers was just an exercise that started after I tried to see if I could get all the base stats to be exactly the same.

That ended up failing because figuring out how to get everything else up to where SKI starts was beyond any means I have reasonable access to on my phone.

So I next I focused on getting everything to be a multiple of some other number, poking at the multiples of 5 I hadn't ruled out yet (5 and 10 were too easy, 35 I thought also out of the question initially) first.

That's the best I've managed to come up with so far sticking with multiples of 25 and trying to get as many of the little stat-gated bonuses as possible- and were the character behind the stats not in this weird place of being almost (but not quite) made for a game that existed only in my head [SHR4 - not the one that (I think) was, but one that would have been a direct sequel to SHR3 and used it's stat system) as a friendly yet Jordan-esque response to a comment made at/near the end of SHR3 regarding wind being a weak/nearly useless stat, I'd be tempted to go and make something of it. Alas, my mind and memory are such that an attempt to recover and restore what was is as futile as creating something new from the remnants.

No, what I have planned is something completely different - something akin both to a dungeon core and a certain antagonist from Saga Frontier 2 and should be up by Friday afternoon or Saturday morning, depending on if True North #2/3 staves off sleep long enough to finish up Friday's tasks.

If you or anyone else wants to use the stats above for anything, feel free.

The character I'm planning (not the exercise from above) may start with two Epic Persistent Ranged AoEs (if that's an allowed thing) and will at least (if not) start with one Epic Ranged AoE. Being able to avoid people that should be avoided is probably for the best.
    Epic Persistent Ranged AoE?

Like, a buff state that you apply to yourself and others from a distance, correct? That would be possible, though very ENR intensive. That's 80 just to cast and 20 maintenance per turn as well. And three epics, a guy not built for small scale interactions.

So, you'd dropping 60 Build into skill and half of each of your Traits is SKI as well to get to 120 just for those Techniques and then a big investment in ENR to make it viable.