Page 67 of 207 FirstFirst ... 175763646566676869707177117167 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 3091
    Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    Oh interesting. So I wouldn't be able to do something like say, Offensive Body Technique Fling to enemy, while casting Defensive Spirit Technique Etc on myself

But I would be able to give a Defensive tech to whoever I attacked, if I wanted to
    No, you could. You just have to state it in the Technique description. Otherwise, me being a GM with a lot of systems to watch over will be like "Okay, it's an attack type technique that means all effects go on the Target," and miss that Jane is boosting herself while attacking someone else.

Also, note that if you are casting an additional Technique on yourself, the boost will be only the quartered amount of the secondary slot + your base stat. So it might not be a huge amount.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    No, you could. You just have to state it in the Technique description. Otherwise, me being a GM with a lot of systems to watch over will be like "Okay, it's an attack type technique that means all effects go on the Target," and miss that Jane is boosting herself while attacking someone else.

Also, note that if you are casting an additional Technique on yourself, the boost will be only the quartered amount of the secondary slot + your base stat. So it might not be a huge amount.
    Oh I see. By the boost you mean the standard boost in stats (which is cut down because the new penalty rule for having two effects together and having a status effect on top of that.) Although an Epic technique combo would just have the stat boost halved.

Hmm
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Glad to hear this won't be too unwelcome. Heat Death is a special case since it is (technically) borne of a Trait, even though the concept itself pre-dates the introduction of Trait/Technique combos that I would go on to introduce.

Come to think of it Sharp, you might want to make a direct reference to Heat Death in the Effect Description for "There Is A Truth In Granularity" just so it's clear that an entirely unique Technique structure is derived from the associated Trait.
    I can, though Heat-Death is kind of special in a way in comparison to Granularity. The combination of these two separate things are basically my pride-and-joy with Krys, both in what they do numerically, what they do in fluff, how they operate together (in both numbers and fluff), how they match with Krys's concept (involving Svātantrya, the quantum gravity stuff, etc).

Granularity is SPACE. It futzes with space in a way, introducing the idea that Krys can see and interact with space in a quantum fashion but at larger scales - a complete impossibility, but hey, Svātantrya says hi.

Heat-Death is TIME. When they enter the state, Krys is no longer subject to the entropic perspective of the universe, and exists outside of such things while remaining in them. Again, completely impossible and contradictory, and again, hello Svātantrya.

Either, alone, produces a lesser effect: Granularity gives a slightly better number of RAC points, while Heat-Death gives something like 9 RAC points alone. Not bad. Put them both together, though, and the denominator of the equation actually becomes zero, granting effectively infinite RAC points. And this works with the concepts as well. With a little bit of futzing around with Space, and a lot of stepping outside of what we consider 'Time', Krys can, without seeming to speed up or do anything weird...counter literally infinite attacks. Impossible? Sure, to people who don't have the relationship with space that Krys has, or the ability to push herself beyond the entropic perspective of the universe.

Numerically speaking, Infinite RAC points are pointless - like, never going to need them. I could have stuck with 'just' Heat-Death and gotten myself 9+ RAC points (11 with Stacks, more with levelling up). MORE than enough.

But for the idea, for the fluff, for the general tone and mood, I needed infinite. ^_^

The trait and technique come together amazing well in every way for Krys - fluff, background, concepts, numbers, everything.

Also, hadn't spotted you Trait-ing in Dizzy on all Counters until now. That's fun! ^_^
    People are getting stuff like 'Lacerate' on basic attacks, and that Trait was pretty much doing...not a lot, so I figured 'why not?'

Yeah, my gut has been that designating whether abilities are Persistent viable would be the answer. The only problem is that that takes time and case-by-case assessment and I'm lazy and it's Friday night haha.

Game design is hard lads haha.
    I'm highly impressed, frankly.

I thought by eliminating some of the really fucked up combos from the Persistent Technique remit, I could limit what one could do with them but, as ever the truism with GMing, players find ways to do odd things you don't think of.
    Oh, heck yes.

As we have spoken about in other areas, I am very much behind this. The game is not going to be completely unbreakable. Also, I do want to get to a point I think I'm done tweaking so we can start. My aim is not make system adjustments once the campaign starts, unless we find something really messed up.
    Yes, we have absolutely talked about it. Just mentioning the whole idea here in public as a conversation thing. ^_^

And, as I have noted, I have made some truly wild gimmicks for some of the higher level NPCs/Bosses and potential encounters you can have in the game. I am trying to test and control so it's not obviously broken but some of it is pretty wild. The NPC I finished up today is such an obnoxious build and has some really cool tricks to pull.
    I have little doubt, and look forward to seeing it.

Though, technically, Kinu does have an infinite Persistent Technique but I'm inclined to let that rock because she Trait-ed for the ability, it only works on a Honed Persistent rather than an Epic and the abilities it confers are waay less powerful than Heat Death. That may come back to bite me a little but, like I said, happy to get a bit wild here and there XD
    Traited for Heat-Death... ^_^ No, I'm just being silly saying that. I get it, and that's fine.

I'll go fiddle with the descriptions to connect them.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 12-02-2022 at 10:46 AM.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Numerically speaking, Infinite RAC points are pointless - like, never going to need them. I could have stuck with 'just' Heat-Death and gotten myself 9+ RAC points (11 with Stacks, more with levelling up). MORE than enough.
    I'm not sure how I will engineer it exactly but if I can force Krys to Counter more than 11 attacks in a single round, I'll consider that a small victory.

Actually I say I'm not sure, I came up with some stupid shit that could have potentially forced that just last week haha.

But there a lot of ways to get there hu hu hu

I'll go fiddle with the descriptions to connect them.
    Appreciate it, you can keep the fluff separate as you like but I just want it on record that the unique Technique is a product of a Trait to get it. Just so they are street-legal and it doesn't look like I'm allowing players unique mechanics without requiring Trait investment.

I'm not sure how I will engineer it exactly but if I can force Krys to Counter more than 11 attacks in a single round, I'll consider that a small victory.

Actually I say I'm not sure, I came up with some stupid shit that could have potentially forced that just last week haha.

But there a lot of ways to get there hu hu hu
    Oh, I'm sure. One amusing way is an absolute mob of people attacking her, assuming you don't want to go with 'mass combat rules'. But there are likely loads of other ways.

It's just going to be RARE that she would need more than, I don't know, six. ^_^

Appreciate it, you can keep the fluff separate as you like but I just want it on record that the unique Technique is a product of a Trait to get it. Just so they are street-legal and it doesn't look like I'm allowing players unique mechanics without requiring Trait investment.
    Sounds good.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Aaaaaaand done!
    Why are we here?

I decided to see what keeping my Epic Slots Dual-Affinitied and Dual Status'd would be like.

Death Nova [+25 PRE (-15 for Ranged attack, -20 for AoE)]/[+2 STR (Halved for additional Epic slot, -7.5 for ranged, -20 for AoE)] - Jane begins to hover in the air suddenly. Quietly, power begins to surge through her frame, emerald energies sparking. She then brings her hands forward aiming at the group of enemies she chooses and a huge surge of Death comes forth. Upon impact a large green explosion erupts, leaving behind a mushroom cloud of dissipated power and dust. This attack also extracts a heavy toll on opponents' souls, dealing Concuss: Stun as they attempt to cope. The power of the explosion is also very disorientating, which Jane uses to slip behind the opponent of choice with a Shadow Walk. (-95 ENR)
    More of a bigger honed/status technique now than a nuke, but moreso just checking if math/other things work out.
    -Stephen McCranie

Aaaaaaand done!
    Good stuff. Would appreciate something on the Trait itself to indicate that it allows for a unique Technique mechanic.

Good stuff. Would appreciate something on the Trait itself to indicate that it allows for a unique Technique mechanic.
    Will point that out.
    Why are we here?

Did you find a picture for Krys, Sharp?

I know you were looking earlier but I lost track. They may not have the claws (I haven’t fully read their sheet), but how about this?

6A2679C0-5132-45A8-A2EA-9DE6917D4729.jpg
    Chief Curmudgeon

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    I decided to see what keeping my Epic Slots Dual-Affinitied and Dual Status'd would be like.

More of a bigger honed/status technique now than a nuke, but moreso just checking if math/other things work out.
    Might go with this actually. This all checks out right?
    -Stephen McCranie

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Did you find a picture for Krys, Sharp?

I know you were looking earlier but I lost track. They may not have the claws (I haven’t fully read their sheet), but how about this?

6A2679C0-5132-45A8-A2EA-9DE6917D4729.jpg
    O_o

It is a fantastic picture, but I think people are massively over-rating the sexy. ^_^
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 12-02-2022 at 02:40 PM.
    Why are we here?

Fair enough. XD

I mean you can always just downplay it in the description…?

There aren’t going to be many images out there of ‘non-sexy female martial artists’ sadly. Especially when you narrow that field down with your physical characteristics.

But cool.
    Chief Curmudgeon

O_o

It is a fantastic picture, but I think people are massively over-rating the sexy. ^_^
    Yes, but see.

She is also in possession of Sharpandpointies.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Also, Nik.

Would a Dual Affinity technique be something like, say. Landing a blow (body) and triggering a (mind) effect as a result?
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan