Page 103 of 207 FirstFirst ... 3539399100101102103104105106107113153203 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,545 of 3091
    Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Hey Nik, I’m just sticking my head in to say I’m still up for this, but stuff’s just been insanely busy. Hope to have another crack at stuff later this week.

Sorry for the radio silence.
    No need for apologies! thank you for the update, if you need support or help you know where to find me!

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    Oh you mean too scalable? Or too many options?
    Having a Trait that is just "10% on one of 3 things when I say so," is both a huge boost as you level and waay too many options.

By harder limits you mean limits to the boost, or limits to the usage?
    Was thinking in terms of usage. It's very muddy on how it would function in combat.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Having a Trait that is just "10% on one of 3 things when I say so," is both a huge boost as you level and waay too many options.

Was thinking in terms of usage. It's very muddy on how it would function in combat.
    I see. Would you say something like "a boost to 2 stats (choose one)" and a more toned down/not scaling level of boost would still be too much?
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

I see. Would you say something like "a boost to 2 stats (choose one)" and a more toned down/not scaling level of boost would still be too much?
    I'm broadly against traits that are just "I get a boost," because that's not really a mechanic, y'know?

I don't mind stuff like what Krys has because their stuff is fairly subtle and more about offsetting limitations than boosting themselves. Those are similar ideas but there is a difference. Traits should, in my mind, be built around doing a specific mechanic.

Like, take Jane's Sniper Trait. It gives her a dedicated mode that changes how she plays and doesn't boost anything except the range at which certain systems kick in.

It's technically a boost of sorts but it's conceptually about playstyle rather than just "make number bigger," if you get me.

I'm broadly against traits that are just "I get a boost," because that's not really a mechanic, y'know?

I don't mind stuff like what Krys has because their stuff is fairly subtle and more about offsetting limitations than boosting themselves. Those are similar ideas but there is a difference. Traits should, in my mind, be built around doing a specific mechanic.

Like, take Jane's Sniper Trait. It gives her a dedicated mode that changes how she plays and doesn't boost anything except the range at which certain systems kick in.

It's technically a boost of sorts but it's conceptually about playstyle rather than just "make number bigger," if you get me.
    Ya I was juggling between a more boring numbers based thing like that or trying to figure out a more exciting conceptual thing for the next. I have a "lore/character" idea but not really the mechanical part of what that means yet.

The conceptual thing is just a bit harder to think of *and* keep honest *and* be interesting to play, but I think I'll lean towards that direction more now.

Plenty of time to figure this out anyways ^_^
    Last edited by Postmania; 01-17-2023 at 01:11 PM.
    -Stephen McCranie

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Having stuff that fits in with the lore of the character as well as the theme of their abilities, AND that creates unique takes on the system is a good thing, I feel.

At the start, I was fiddling with 'just bonuses' (and really basic ones) because I hadn't realized what Nik was going for with traits. Once that clicked things started to fall into place.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Ironically one of the traits I was thinking of might end up looking a lot like this idea from way back in the earlier part of the thread since I'm intending to boost CHR anyway.

Trait 1: Aura of Fear
    As an automata connected to a god of death, Jane is a host to energies that provoke fear in all which is capable of death. As such, she projects an aura of Fear that will have the chance to inflict Intimidate for one turn on all enemies within 1/2 her effective range [75 feet at time of writing]. This is a passive action and does not require Jane to take action, it procs when the enemy enters the range of the field automatically. The check would be based on the following logic:

[Enemy RES] vs [Jane's CHR +10 Trait bonus]. If they fail, the opponent will have the option to burn ENR to steel themselves and overcome the effect, otherwise they experience one turn of Intimidate and cannot attack Jane directly for the duration.

-Stephen McCranie

Retired Overlord

Ahoy all
    Sorry I've been kind mute in here for a long time....burned out on life for a bit. Gonna try and get myself back in before this all starts.

That being said, I may try and blast out something new. Not feeling what I have made so far.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSandman View Post
    Ahoy all
    Sorry I've been kind mute in here for a long time....burned out on life for a bit. Gonna try and get myself back in before this all starts.

That being said, I may try and blast out something new. Not feeling what I have made so far.
    If you want to discuss things and workshop any mechanical stuff, my PMs are of course open.

Flavour is of course all you.
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 01-19-2023 at 02:25 AM.

Ironically one of the traits I was thinking of might end up looking a lot like this idea from way back in the earlier part of the thread since I'm intending to boost CHR anyway.
    This Trait as written would need to be tweaked since it was made on the old 1.0 system I think and a lot of things are different now.

But in concept, yeah, absolutely fine.

Charisma is getting a boost? Nice. Going for those big buffs, I see! ^_^

Definitely considering using my Epic for a buff rather than a debuff; debuffs are harder to justify with Krys, thematically, and the buff would be decent.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

This Trait as written would need to be tweaked since it was made on the old 1.0 system I think and a lot of things are different now.

But in concept, yeah, absolutely fine.
    Oh, tweaked how out of curiosity
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Charisma is getting a boost? Nice. Going for those big buffs, I see! ^_^

Definitely considering using my Epic for a buff rather than a debuff; debuffs are harder to justify with Krys, thematically, and the buff would be decent.
    In Jane's case using CHR for debuffs is problematic with her base BRA, so it'll likely stay only buffs for her in the foreseeable future. Mind, that makes it easier to find a cutoff for it at some point (and to return to fully investing in her shooting after a bit).
    -Stephen McCranie

Oh, tweaked how out of curiosity
    Not fully sure, but that Trait was made before Mind Techniques could no longer actually fully fail and therefore is actually a lot stronger than it appears and that range is also way too large. If I were to make a version now with the current patch, I would do something like:

----

Aura of Fear - As an automata connected to a god of death, Jane is a host to energies that provoke fear in all which is capable of death. She projects an aura of Fear in all mortal hostile creatures that inflicts Intimidate on enemies that enter melee range with her for the first time that combat encounter. This is a passive action and does not require Jane to take action, it procs when the enemy enters the range of the field automatically. The check would be based on the following logic:

[Enemy RES] vs [(Jane's CHR +10 Trait bonus)/2]

If the opponent passes the check, they will be experience momentary Intimidation and so will lose one (1) combat action due to that hesitation, potentially not being able to attack Jane in the same turn they enter her combat range. They will be able to use all normal actions on their next turn. If they fail the check, they will experience one additional turn of Intimidate and will be unable to attack Jane directly at all until they have cleared the Fear Effect at the end of their next turn.

----

This version feeds more into her gameplan as a sniper. It limits options of people who close distance into melee range with her and provides a window for her to get out of dodge and take distance. The ideal version of this is that an opponent burns one action on a dash action to close distance and then, even if they pass the RES check, the momentary Intimidation means they can't actually attack her.

Not fully sure, but that Trait was made before Mind Techniques could no longer actually fully fail and therefore is actually a lot stronger than it appears and that range is also way too large. If I were to make a version now with the current patch, I would do something like:

----

Aura of Fear - As an automata connected to a god of death, Jane is a host to energies that provoke fear in all which is capable of death. She projects an aura of Fear in all mortal hostile creatures that inflicts Intimidate on enemies that enter melee range with her for the first time that combat encounter. This is a passive action and does not require Jane to take action, it procs when the enemy enters the range of the field automatically. The check would be based on the following logic:

[Enemy RES] vs [(Jane's CHR +10 Trait bonus)/2]

If the opponent passes the check, they will be experience momentary Intimidation and so will lose one (1) combat action due to that hesitation, potentially not being able to attack Jane in the same turn they enter her combat range. They will be able to use all normal actions on their next turn. If they fail the check, they will experience one additional turn of Intimidate and will be unable to attack Jane directly at all until they have cleared the Fear Effect at the end of their next turn.

----

This version feeds more into her gameplan as a sniper. It limits options of people who close distance into melee range with her and provides a window for her to get out of dodge and take distance. The ideal version of this is that an opponent burns one action on a dash action to close distance and then, even if they pass the RES check, the momentary Intimidation means they can't actually attack her.
    That makes sense. Having the AOE range of it does seem a bit too much of Jane playing crowd control by herself.

I think you mentioned at some point but with additional traits gained you can basically upgrade previous traits right? So potentially if I wanted to Jane's fear aura would be able to be boosted to do something greater? Though really, that one's pretty good as is, but I'm thinking something like it being a thing corresponding to the Mind Effect of Disinterest the way this one is corresponding to the Mind Effect of Fear, which I would then potentially upgraded to correspond with the Mind Effect at the next level which just gives a Surprise Attack as the enemy Loses sight of Jane lol

Which is just kind of a different way of doing the trait/technique combo you mentioned with the Stealth thing you have in your example section really.
    Last edited by Postmania; 01-19-2023 at 10:18 AM.
    -Stephen McCranie

The opposite option would be to have the fear affect people 'downsight' from Jane - she draws down on them, and they either freeze (losing a RAC point instead of an action) or lose an action similar to the above (or movement).

The RAC point option would allow Jane to overwhelm defenses more easily on the first turn aiming at someone.
    Why are we here?