Page 104 of 207 FirstFirst ... 45494100101102103104105106107108114154204 ... LastLast
Results 1,546 to 1,560 of 3091
    Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    I think you mentioned at some point but with additional traits gained you can basically upgrade previous traits right? So potentially if I wanted to Jane's fear aura would be able to be boosted to do something greater?
    To be real clear on this; you cannot evolve or upgrade Traits. Existing Traits could be complimented with subsequently acquired ones but that would require a case-by-case assessment of the abilities you want.

Like, I would not allow a Trait that is like "Aura of Fear gets a further +10 and inflicts Frighten now," If you wanted to compliment it you would need to have something that plays into the effects of the existing mechanic.

Though really, that one's pretty good as is, but I'm thinking something like it being a thing corresponding to the Mind Effect of Disinterest the way this one is corresponding to the Mind Effect of Fear, which I would then potentially upgraded to correspond with the Mind Effect at the next level which just gives a Surprise Attack as the enemy Loses sight of Jane lol

Which is just kind of a different way of doing the trait/technique combo you mentioned with the Stealth thing you have in your example section really.
    See above, it would really depend on what you want to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    To be real clear on this; you cannot evolve or upgrade Traits. Existing Traits could be complimented with subsequently acquired ones but that would require a case-by-case assessment of the abilities you want.

Like, I would not allow a Trait that is like "Aura of Fear gets a further +10 and inflicts Frighten now," If you wanted to compliment it you would need to have something that plays into the effects of the existing mechanic.

See above, it would really depend on what you want to do.
    Iiiiinteresting. Good to know.
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

It's more fun actually making up names and explanations for new traits anyway. ^_^
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    It's more fun actually making up names and explanations for new traits anyway. ^_^
    Yeah its kind of like what I mentioned before i.e, limitations to just a more stat based approach allowing for potentially greater creativity. The idea would be pretty similar to what Nik proposed although even if I can't upscale the ability I had in mind into full on "potentially give surprise attacks to enemies" I might still want to go for a Disinterest over Fear for character based reasons as things progress. But the ability itself hits the notes of uniqueness, mechanical usefulness and fitting the character and would be 90% as it stands I think

Just need to figure out those character/background details, some now and some as I get to it...
    -Stephen McCranie

Morning all, just to say we'll be assessing where we are on Friday (27th January) and then seeing what the plan is moving forward.

If the people who are still working on their characters are a long way off, which in the case of KingofPie and MrSandman particularly they might well be, then I might consider kicking off with the cast that is ready and then inserting the latecomers into the game after the fact.

I am personally keen to start because I think having the game in motion will keep me focused and it's been pretty easy to just not work on the project that much this last week. So, in terms of what I'm going to do this week, I will be spot-checking all game ready (or as close as) members of the cast and flagging anything that I have overlooked over the last few months.

I'm also going to attempt to write a random NPC auto-generator in Excel so I can make mob generation more efficient for myself so that will take a bit of time but will make my life considerably easier in the long run.

Then we'll see where we are on Friday with regards to players. I'll be sending a link to this message to all still developing players, to make sure that they are aware of what I am planning to do.

Happiness!
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Another good thing with starting is that it will end me tinkering with Jane’s build for the umpteenth time. Although I think this one coming up is the last time. But I thought that two versions ago
    -Stephen McCranie

Another good thing with starting is that it will end me tinkering with Jane’s build for the umpteenth time. Although I think this one coming up is the last time. But I thought that two versions ago
    OMG, yes. I keep going back to Krys' sheet thinking 'should I switch some stuff? What about...?' Ugh. End the interminable adjusting! ^_^

Still sitting on a whack of techniques (like, 5 general ones and the epic Mind tech). But I'm gonna hold onto those for later.
    Why are we here?

This probably has an obvious answer, but is it feasible to have an ability like this?

Honed Counter Technique (+40 SPD)

Jane bravely runs away for the movement value of the technique. While bravely advancing backwards she fires behind her, which does the value of (normal attack using PRE).

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    OMG, yes. I keep going back to Krys' sheet thinking 'should I switch some stuff? What about...?' Ugh. End the interminable adjusting! ^_^

Still sitting on a whack of techniques (like, 5 general ones and the epic Mind tech). But I'm gonna hold onto those for later.
    You have the ability to bank these techniques or something right? I recall you mentioning you were holding on to some
    -Stephen McCranie

This probably has an obvious answer, but is it feasible to have an ability like this?

Honed Counter Technique (+40 SPD)

Jane bravely runs away for the movement value of the technique. While bravely advancing backwards she fires behind her, which does the value of (normal attack using PRE).
    Counter as a system is intended to provide a window to use one (1) Basic Attack or one (1) Technique Action at the cost of one (1) RAC Point. It is not intended to provide with a Movement Action so it is not possible, if you were to sacrifice the Counter attack Action to get Movement, you would have to take the hit as if you had soaked. You definitely could not move and attack.

Again, you could Trait for something like this perhaps but I wouldn't be very likely to allow it.

Counter as a system is intended to provide a window to use one (1) Basic Attack or one (1) Technique Action at the cost of one (1) RAC Point. It is not intended to provide with a Movement Action so it is not possible, if you were to sacrifice the Counter attack Action to get Movement, you would have to take the hit as if you had soaked. You definitely could not move and attack.

Again, you could Trait for something like this perhaps but I wouldn't be very likely to allow it.
    That's what I figured, but hmm, maybe there is a spot where i'd think a hit was worth it for movement.

Still good to know.

I'm also assuming something like Counter Technique that doesn't do damage but does do something like gain positional advantage for a counter/defensive bonus from the next attack from that enemy for the next Reaction is a bit too complex for the technique system without a trait attached to it
    Last edited by Postmania; 01-23-2023 at 09:12 AM.
    -Stephen McCranie

That's what I figured, but hmm, maybe there is a spot where i'd think a hit was worth it for movement.

Still good to know.

I'm also assuming something like Counter Technique that doesn't do damage but does do something like gain positional advantage for a counter/defensive bonus from the next attack from that enemy for the next Reaction is a bit too complex for the technique system without a trait attached to it
    Hmm... oooh, you've given me an idea for a System Mechanic.

What you have described there wouldn't be a Counter Technique. Counters are based around attacking, definitionally. Doesn't make sense in the system.

What would be better descriptor would be a Dodge Technique.

Okay, let me amend the Technique Guide.

Also... hmm... might need to overhaul how Counter Techniques are described a little to better delineate them from Dodge Techniques. Also have some ideas about how to tweak them because at the moment I see something a little busted.

This might need it's own post as the Techniques Guide is already pretty up against the character limit... :/

Noice, more interesting pieces for the system coming from my half-baked ideas lol
    -Stephen McCranie

Okay, so updated copy with the following:

REACTION TECHNIQUES
    Techniques can be designated as a Counter, Block or Dodge Technique. This means they can be used on those respective responses during a combat phase in lieu of the normal options but only in that context with the expenditure of suitable Mastered ENR and a RAC point. For more information, see the following post. [LINK TO BE ADDED]
    I'm also going to use this post to refine the mechanics of the now re-named Reaction Techniques as a whole:

REACTION TECHNIQUES

As the name implies, these are Techniques that can be used as part of the reaction rubric with RAC points. Once designated as such, these Techniques can only be used as part of that Defensive Option and not in any other context. Depending on what reaction option is used as part of the Defensive Phase, different rules will apply to a Technique as described below:

Universal Rules

- If the Dodge, Block or Counter check is imperfect [sic: negative] then the negative number will be applied to the Mastered ENR costs for invoking the Technique as additional costs.

- Reaction Techniques cannot amp any more than one stat. Multi-disciplinary Techniques are not possible.

- Other Technique construction rules apply unless otherwise noted.

Type Specific Rules

- Dodge Techniques: These are defensive Techniques that are used for Positioning or Escaping and should augment AGI or SPD. On a Perfect Dodge, the character can move up to 30% of their Movement Value (said value being derived after the amp from the Technique) out of melee range. If the Dodge Check is imperfect, then the maximum distance they can move is halved to 15% of their total Movement Value.

- Blocking Techniques: These are defensive Techniques that are used for blocking damage or effects and should augment DUR and RES. On a Perfect Block [sic: positive], then the 20% of the positive number will be reflected onto the attacker.

- Counter Techniques: These are offensive Techniques that can use one of the three attacking stats; STR, PRE or CHR with accompanying effects for a Counterattack.
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 02-04-2023 at 05:12 AM.

Okay, so updated copy with the following:

I'm also going to use this post to refine the mechanics of the now re-named Reaction Techniques as a whole:

REACTION TECHNIQUES

As the name implies, these are Techniques that can be used as part of the reaction rubric with RAC points. Once designated as such, these Techniques can only be used as part of that Defensive Option and not in any other context. Depending on what reaction option is used as part of the Defensive Phase, different rules will apply to a Technique as described below:

Universal Rules

- If the Dodge, Soak or Counter check is imperfect [sic: negative] then the negative number will be applied to the Mastered ENR costs for invoking the Technique.

- Reaction Techniques cannot amp any more than one stat. Multi-disciplinary Techniques are not possible.

- Other Technique construction rules apply unless otherwise noted.

Type Specific Rules

- Dodge Techniques: These are defensive Techniques that are used for Positioning or Escaping and should augment AGI or SPD. On a Perfect Dodge, the character can move up to 30% of their Movement Value (said value being derived after the amp from the Technique) out of melee range. If the Dodge Check is imperfect, then the maximum distance they can move is halved to 15% of their total Movement Value.

- Soak Techniques: These are defensive Techniques that are used for tanking damage or effects and should augment DUR and RES. On a Perfect Soak [sic: positive], then the 10% of the positive number will be reflected onto the attacker.

- Counter Techniques: These are offensive Techniques that can use one of the three attacking stats; STR, PRE or CHR with accompanying effects.
    Nice adds!

For the Dodge Techniques, my understanding the movement value is calculated after the amping of the technique, so SPD increases would effect that, but the dodge value is calculated after the amping as well?

So basically if you wanted to ensure 30% movement more readily you'd amp AGI, but if you wanted a bigger movement value and trusted your natural AGI to manage a Perfect Dodge you'd amp SPD?
    -Stephen McCranie