Page 107 of 207 FirstFirst ... 75797103104105106107108109110111117157 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,605 of 3091

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    As noted in the Technique Guide, only Epic Persistents can be applied to others. Given that it's Epic, I'm not fussed about it requiring designation.
    Ah, now I see that line.

No it isn't, it doesn't mention status effects in that section. The reference to multiple slots refers to crossing Affinity Types with a Multi-Slot Techniques. Like to have a Persistent Tech that does +25 STR/+13 BRA, you would need to use a Honed Body and Honed Spirit Slot to do it and you would only get the effects of the Body Slot because it is the primary as indicated by it getting the bigger boost.

Persistent Techniques can be multi-slot but they can't have multiple effects in play unless you use two Epic Slots as noted in the Multi-Slot guide.
    Ah, by boosts it just means stat boosts, not the status effects. I get it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Nice work on that, Post.
    Thanks! It may not happen often but it'll be fun when Jane does use these on others.
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Retired Overlord

In that case, I'm a little more confused because that's essentially what happens to anyone who hits zero HP so the Trait doesn't technically do anything. See here from the combat rubrics guide:

This seems like it basically covers, albeit with more caveats, what your Trait would do, no? Potentially rework it?
    I think in this case its more like a custom paint job on an existing mechanic then. To explain how near death would work on a hologram. If I had to add a non stat benefit to the trait then....maybe when she hits near death and her hologram breaks, her core has a bit extra defense then normal? A higher threshold for death(more then -25) or a default reserve of energy to stave off the -5 reduction for a turn or two?

So, it's more akin to a decoy sort of thing? Or can she see out of the new body so it's like a remote viewing sort of thing?

I think I'm happy enough for it to be allowed, it seems very low impact, but I still don't think I mechanically follow what it is meant to be achieving and therefore don't really get how to mechanically account for it in the system.
    Its fairly low impact in combat situations barring environmental factors, outside of that it has a lot of applications flavor wise.

To look at your stats, I see you've dropped a Trait, so I'll make sure that your BUILD and SYNC are broadly correct and do your Affinity and HP Values for reference. Corrections will be underlined:

Cool, so let me know about the Traits and you're now clear to start working on your Techniques.
    Sounds good, I'll work on that next.

Retired Overlord

It seems that the Hard Light body is actually something that is physically present, and is basically her 'working body'. The CORE is the projector, but the core is essentially immobile and useless on its own. Am I getting it right?
    Absolutely correct.

If this is the case, then yes, it would be exceedingly dangerous to start the body teleporting around the battlefield because if someone finds the core they can just step on it. Also, the body (as noted) can't 'go on ahead' without leaving the core behind. I assume the core is normally 'carried' by the hard light body somehow - like within it, or by it.
    Both. Her default method is to cast the body around her core in that in is carried inside. (In the image I provided as the basis, you can look at it as being something you'd see as semi visible in her chest). Or she can carry it in her projected hand...which leads into the idea of "hot potatoing" it and recasting her projection mid toss to catch the potato so to speak.

Possible abuses of power:

1. Hide the core in the battlefield. Now the body can dance around the battlefield. Granted, the hard light body can also be destroyed, and the core can ONLY project light where it can 'see', so that's LESS of a problem - the core can't be completely hidden or it can't project.
    Exactly.....its also incredibly risky to leave her core anywhere something might block, or in the absolute worse scenario, cover it over. Being buried in mud, dust or debre would effective block her projectors and lock her in a position where she would be unable to move, escape or even alert others to where she is. Buried alive in a sense.

2. Have another player carry the core. This is a bigger problem, as it leads to someone carrying the core while the hard light body is basically an immortal, teleporting scout (it can be 'killed', but that doesn't harm the core).
    It would need to be held out in the open at almost all times, by someone who themselves would need to stay in line of sight....but I can see what you mean. Her party role is fairly non combative however so using her as an immortal soldier is gonna be about as effective as holding off a bull hippo with a rooster. (Don't ask me how I settled on those).

Out of the two, I would say that #2 is the bigger imbalance. It's a pretty crazy-good thing to have a teleporting being as an advance scout, or someone who can teleport through transparent things and fiddle with stuff on the other side of the window, or...you get the idea. I don't know if it's game-breaking, mind.
    ...projecting through glass actually never popped into my head until just now. I'll...uhh...make a mental note.

Though again, your left with her core being undefended on the other side of the glass. In a party that might not be as bad but as an advance scout? Someone walks in while she's doing her thing and... ;_;

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MrSandman View Post
    I think in this case its more like a custom paint job on an existing mechanic then. To explain how near death would work on a hologram. If I had to add a non stat benefit to the trait then....maybe when she hits near death and her hologram breaks, her core has a bit extra defense then normal? A higher threshold for death(more then -25) or a default reserve of energy to stave off the -5 reduction for a turn or two?
    Standard modification from Trait on an existing system is a 10. So, you could have her being able to go to -35.

Though I think this is of, like, highly limited utility. You can have that if you want but I do feel a little that this is burning a Trait, which could be something much more practical on something quite niche. If that's what you want, then go off, but just wanted to flag my feelings on it.

Its fairly low impact in combat situations barring environmental factors, outside of that it has a lot of applications flavor wise.
    Can you give me those applications though? I'm still not sure I get what kind of character you're looking to play and what the goal is mechanically. Sharp listed some stuff but you have either caveated that to make it more roundabout or hadn't thought of it.

I'm just trying to get a grip on what you're going for here.

Sounds good, I'll work on that next.
    Techniques would definitely help me get what you're up to haha.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MrSandman View Post
    ...projecting through glass actually never popped into my head until just now. I'll...uhh...make a mental note.

Though again, your left with her core being undefended on the other side of the glass. In a party that might not be as bad but as an advance scout? Someone walks in while she's doing her thing and... ;_;
    It's more about someone holding the orb while she checks out whatever through a window or forcefield that can be seen through. Or hundreds of meters away. Etc.

Not a huge thing, again, just something that could be used by the party to continuously check out areas ahead of time. ^_^
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Jane can see far (presumably) to snipe things, but won’t be seeing into buildings so scouting would be a good thing to have for sure
    -Stephen McCranie

Small update, I have built a mob NPC generator and now will need to run playtests to calibrate it and see if it works for my purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    Jane can see far (presumably) to snipe things, but won’t be seeing into buildings so scouting would be a good thing to have for sure
    You should develop some kind of penetrating vision - see into and through walls, etc. And penetrating shots from your weapons. ^_^
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Small update, I have built a mob NPC generator and now will need to run playtests to calibrate it and see if it works for my purposes.
    Well, that's interesting. So we'll be fighting randomly generated stuff from time to time. Cool.
    Why are we here?

You should develop some kind of penetrating vision - see into and through walls, etc. And penetrating shots from your weapons. ^_^
    I have thought of the latter but we’ll see
    -Stephen McCranie

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    I have thought of the latter but we’ll see
    I admit, it sounds like even MORE trait use.
    Why are we here?

Well, that's interesting. So we'll be fighting randomly generated stuff from time to time. Cool.
    Not wholly randomly but similar to it.

This is only for like generic mobs and there are systems to allow me to quickly create archetype-specific builds [brick/speedster/status mage/etc] within it pretty easily while also controlling the threat/challenge level relative to player strength.

At least that's the hope. Will aim to have a playtest during this week to see if it works. Mostly just want to save myself from having to think to hard once we're rolling.

First playtest going well and threw up this small interaction which made me chuckle.

Having failed to suppress Jane using a Technique, the Mob used their Basic ATK action on Kinu as she hasn't had her turn yet and they were hoping to do some damage before she got a chance to raise defences and got absolutely nothing for his trouble.

Fun stuff - and amusing! ^_^
    Why are we here?

And now that mob is right in range for Kinu to grabby hands them, poor mook
    -Stephen McCranie