Page 11 of 207 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast
    The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Players are going to be strongly reminded that you are not likely to be fighting each other.
    One hopes people take this to heart.

I have a great many very unpleasant things to throw at you as a group so try to think about your build in terms of "what do I want to do?" and "what can other people not do?" rather than in terms of PVP.
    I'm all for the first. For the second, I less consider 'making character to fit role in group' and more 'what's my concept?', making up the character based on that, and then trying to find a way through whatever problems the GM throws our way while playing in character.

They are in addition to the raw damage boost of Honed/Epic technique.

So an Epic Technique would, say, hit for +60 PRE Damage and also inflict Lacerate and Blunt.

EDIT: I am intending to shore up the Technique guide so better explain what can be done with it, I feel like some players are not sure which is something I'd like to fix.
    So as long as there is PRE-based damage bonus, we can choose extras.

That's good, Krys is pretty much all PRE/SKI-based. ^_^
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Big patch but also fortunate in that I didn’t start stats yet so I can just build as I go. Will look at those notes too; truthfully some of the trait stuff felt like it was getting a little fiddly/busy for me too after I thought about them.

Maybe I’ll try to bring some of the versatility I was looking for there into my techniques instead
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

MIND BASED STATUS EFFECTS
    Mind is buff and debuff central. If you want to amp your friends and cripple your enemies, this is the Affinity for you. This will be a breakdown of how you can build stat attacking techniques and other more esoteric effects:

Attack power for all Mind based Techniques is halved and damage inflicted does not play into the success of Status Effects [RES vs DUR]. To offset this weakness; it is not possible to influence the status effect component of Mind-based attacks with a Dodge or Counter response, this is purely decided by the RES score of the target. While the damage can be Dodged, it cannot be Countered. All Mind based attacks are ranged by default, regardless of whether a character has an appropriate Trait.

Basic Stat Changes
    For all technique levels, you can use your CHR stat to effect the following stats:

STR
    AGI
    SPD
    DUR
    RES
    BRA
    PRE
    CHR
    SKI

Buffs are consensual so the target's RES will always be halved when seeing how much the buff effects them, they will always get the full effect:

([Base character CHR stat] + [Technique Modifier])/2 - ([Target RES]/2)

For debuffs, RES plays a bigger role. Target stats will be lowered by a value derived from:

([Base character CHR stat] + [Technique Modifier])/2 (-[Target RES)

A positive number derived from this debuff formula on the attack limits the debuff to the lesser duration and subtracts said positive number from the overall CHR attack. A negative number grants the full effect of the ATK score on the selected stat for the longer duration. If the target chooses to burn the negative number’s worth of Mastered ENR, they can lower it to full numerical effect but for the reduced turn amount.

Mundane: 1 Turn Full Effect / Until start of next Turn Reduced
    Honed: 4 Turns Full Effect / 2 Turn Reduced
    Epic: 6 Turns Full Effect / 3 Turns Reduced

Additionally, if a player wishes to burn additional Mastered ENR, they force their RES check to more positive and therefore reduce the impact of a debuff or even elminate it entirely by matching the attack value. In the case of Behavioural Effects, which are more Pass/Fail on the basis of the result of the RES check, the player must cover the entire deficit to eliminate the effect.

For an example:

Krys (RES 10) is attacked with a Honed Debuff Technique by a low level enemy (CHR 10 + 40 = 50 CHR ATK).

Factoring in their damage reduction on Mind, the initial result of the attack is that Krys gets a -13 on their RES check and is at risk of taking a -25 to a given stat for 4 Turns. They can choose to spend 13 Mastered ENR and that debuff will only last 2 turns as they will meet the threshold for the RES check.

Additionally, they can also choose to spend up to 25 Mastered ENR to reduce the debuff's impact or eliminate it. To fully elminate the debuff, would cost them total of 38 Mastered ENR.

The same buff or debuff cannot be stacked with itself, once an instance of that debuff has been applied it must complete before a new one can be applied. However, different Techniques can stack with each other. On a Persistent Technique, unless otherwise stated, the effect will always be at the reduced duration regardless of RES success of the check. Checks are prompted by and will use the Basic ATK action score for checks.

To give an example a technique might look like this:

"Slow and Dumb," - Honed Technique - 25 ENR.
    The PC points out to the target that they are slow and dumb. The target is slowed and thinks slower for the next 4 turns at full effect or 2 turns at half effect.

(+40 CHR - split target between SPD and BRA)

And would work as follows:

Let's say this PC has 40 CHR, the above technique would give her an ATK of 80 CHR which is halved to 40. Her target has 25 RES, this means it would be 25 - 40 = -15 RES score. As the RES is negative, the debuff is felt in full split between two stats so 40/2 = 20. So the target would be debuffed for a total of -20 to SPD and BRA for 4 turns on a successful full hit.

If the target has 15 Mastered ENR to burn, then it can choose to do so to halve the duration of the debuff but the impact would be the same.

Esoteric Stats and Effects
    It is also possible to affect other gameplay features for opponents beyond just debuffing stats.

RUM: On an Epic Technique only, to remove a 1 RUM point. On positive RES score, the attempt fails. On negative RES, burning Mastered ENR will prevent the loss of the RUM point.

RAC:
    Honed - Lowers target's RAC score by 1 for 2 turns. Positive RES lowers the duration to the end of the attacker's next turn, Negative RES allows full duration but this can be offset if the target burns suitable Mastered ENR.

Epic - Lowers target's RAC score by 2 for 4 turns. Positive RES halves the duration of this effect as can burning suitable Mastered ENR on a Negative RES score.

Technique Sealing
    Honed - Randomly seal 2 techniques of Mundane Class or 1 Honed Class. The technique sealed will be determined by a random dice roll done by the GM. On Positive RES it is guaranteed to be Mundane Techniques, on Negative the caster may choose, unless the target burns suitable Mastered ENR. This will last permanently unless the target opts to spend Mastered ENR equal to the level of the attacking Technique to remove the seal.

Epic - Randomly seal 2 techniques of Honed Class or 1 technique of Epic Class. The technique sealed will be determined by a random dice roll done by the GM. On Positive RES it is guaranteed to be a Honed Technique, on Negative RES the caster may choose, unless the target burns suitable Mastered ENR. This will last permanently unless the target opts to spend Mastered ENR equal to the level of the attacking Technique to remove the seal.

Behavioural Mind Effects Found Here
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 02-22-2023 at 05:45 AM.

Okay, phew, and that is the Patch Notes up. As you can see, had an awful lot to cover.

I've linked it on page 1 of the thread and will, at some point, I am not going to look at the the thread until evening so feel free to post questions and I'll answer anything when I get back.

Worth noting that Arx has beef with Kinu (sort of), so at the very least they'll potentially be butting heads. The occasional elbow drop/suplex is about the extent of it though.

She might try to eat Jet Jaguar.

Or Atomic Breath him.

Old habits.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Reading through these new additions and they will def make things more interesting
    -Stephen McCranie

Yea, actually... It looks like Arx will be doing bleed damage now?

My accidental over-statting into RES also seems to have paid dividends.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Yea, actually... It looks like Arx will be doing bleed damage now?

My accidental over-statting into RES also seems to have paid dividends.
    I was going to suggest that her Aspects of the Dragon Trait could just become "Arx inflicts Lacerate on her normal claw attacks," they are claws, they can inflict bleeding.

She also isn't that far off from qualifying for Fling on normal attacks as well (STR 50) just sayin'

So restructure some stats if you want?

I was going to suggest that her Aspects of the Dragon Trait could just become "Arx inflicts Lacerate on her normal claw attacks," they are claws, they can inflict bleeding.

She also isn't that far off from qualifying for Fling on normal attacks as well (STR 50) just sayin'

So restructure some stats if you want?
    Yea, I'll probably do that for her second trait, and am definitely planning on rejiggering stats. Just want to be able to... Sit down and focus on it so I'm not uh, butchering it again.

It does seem she's in a pretty decent spot though, all things considered. Doesn't have the most HP (curse you Sharkerbob, curse you!) but she's certainly the BEEG WALL OF TANK I otherwise envisioned.

Arx Inosaan

Beyond a couple of small tweaks to counters which I have in mind and finalising levelling, my intention is to now leave the system alone to let you guys really consider your characters in the light of the new system.

There's also tweaks to my combat engine to allow me to keep track of everything turn to turn.

So I'm intending to take like two weeks off just working on that, designing NPCs, fleshing out the opening questline and doing prep work.

In that time, I will check in with the thread regularly to answer any questions.

I will also say, with seven confirmed players and maybe four more coming we are approaching my limit for active players in the game.

If you're not Tami, Crunkula, Yun Lao, Cleric or Miburo then I'm afraid you're not getting in. 11 players is already a lot for me but I want to give it a go as is.

Seems like a fair time. Plenty to potentially play with other builds/chars if I end up getting to it too
    -Stephen McCranie

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Syncs are off, I have made corrections underlined.
    Thanks. I can't math, sorry. Corrected.

A note, Traits cannot be a flat +20. They have to split between two stats at a ratio of either +10/+10 or +15/+5, so you would need to tweak your second one.
    Whoops. Fixed. Solo Rai now split between AGI and CHR.

This is a fun idea, interested to see what you do.
    Thanks!

For consistency of nomenclature, lowest level techniques are "Mundane".
    Whoops. Fixed.

Also the decision to have a lot of low level stuff when you have sooo much Energy and decent SKI is kind of wild.
    I am basing her on a pre-existing character of mine, and I might have shot myself in the foot a little trying to cram her into the system as you have it. Conceptually, she's impressive for her setting, but mainly just due to sheer versatility over brute force. However, I don't mind compromising with story conceit that she has lost a bunch of her Magics along the way, so she's limited to just two or three disciplines right now.

You could do some really big gun stuff and might wish to given that your attack power is comparatively low, techniques could offset that deficit.
    What's somewhat tripping me up is, it seems like Techniques are supposed to be really specific things, like a very specific combat maneuver over a more generalized ability. I'm wondering if instead of breaking her gifts up into such limited moves, if I could do something like, "Mundane Technique: String Magic - Didsy can manipulate a mass of strings for basic actions, such as a whip-attack, a grappling hook, lassoing and binding someone, catching someone in a net, etc. She can do only one such actions in a round."

Also, the patch notes will give you a lot more to work with.
    I will give it a look through.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    I wonder if we're going to get the ridiculousness of people looking at each others characters and designing their combat stuff to beat other PCs.

Have seen this before; always boggles me.
    Always hated this.

Players are going to be strongly reminded that you are not likely to be fighting each other. I have a great many very unpleasant things to throw at you as a group so try to think about your build in terms of "what do I want to do?" and "what can other people not do?" rather than in terms of PVP.
    This is a relief.

BANNED

Beyond a couple of small tweaks to counters which I have in mind and finalising levelling, my intention is to now leave the system alone to let you guys really consider your characters in the light of the new system.

There's also tweaks to my combat engine to allow me to keep track of everything turn to turn.

So I'm intending to take like two weeks off just working on that, designing NPCs, fleshing out the opening questline and doing prep work.

In that time, I will check in with the thread regularly to answer any questions.

I will also say, with seven confirmed players and maybe four more coming we are approaching my limit for active players in the game.

If you're not Tami, Crunkula, Yun Lao, Cleric or Miburo then I'm afraid you're not getting in. 11 players is already a lot for me but I want to give it a go as is.

I have the basic bio for my character almost wrapped up, and should be up either tomorrow or Thursday.
    Last edited by Crunkula; 10-11-2022 at 11:27 AM.

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Alright, the addition of status effects definitely helped give me some more wiggle room. I kept her Stat load-out the same, but redid her Techniques. Hopefully they are within acceptable function.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    Alright, the addition of status effects definitely helped give me some more wiggle room. I kept her Stat load-out the same, but redid her Techniques. Hopefully they are within acceptable function.
    Cursory glance looks okay. Will do a full accounting of all characters once things settle over the next few weeks.