Page 151 of 207 FirstFirst ... 51101141147148149150151152153154155161201 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,265 of 3091
    Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quick note, it's been a productive day for the game in terms of both gameplay progression and system development. I'm going out this evening so I won't be online until tomorrow UK time.

Please post any questions about the Skill System you might have. I will aim to answer everything I return. If you have something like "I want my character to do [Non-Combat Thing], how would I do that with Skills?" I will be very happy to help.

Nemo is up next in the combat order for the current encounter. Then Kinu will make what I suspect will be a dynamic entry.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Appears we simulposted!
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quick response as I'm heading out the door in five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Actually, you're thinking of 'There Is A Truth In Granularity'. All Things Are Finite isn't the trait linked to Heat Death - it's the one linked to 'getting some insight' outside of combat (in the same way that while 'flight' as a trait has a combat bonus, there is a bonus for having 'flight' outside of combat - in this case, maybe some insight into something as noted in the trait, GM choice when triggers).

Really...the trait doesn't do a whole lot outside of combat. Unlike other traits.
    No, I'm talking about 'All Things Are Infinite', let me grab your Traits real quick:

"There Is A Truth In Granularity"
    Having lived within and outside of All Things through Time out of Time, Krys understands that universal fundamentals of time and space can be extrapolated to larger scales. With that concept in their grasp, they can operate as if all within their own macroperception is forged of single, discreet units...or not, as they desire.
    'As below, so above.'

Stat 1 - SKI +10
    Stat 2 - BRA +10
    Effect: When pushing herself, Krys often seems to have movements with frames missing, as if micro-teleporting between the start and end of a motion, which might be helpful in some situations [-10 to the denominator in formula for RAC]. Allows for unique Technique mechanic: "Heat-Death Is Only A Single Slice Of What Is".

"All Things Are Finite When Viewed From Without, Even The Infinite."
    Having lived within and outside of All Things through Time out of Time, Kris understands that even conceptual infinity is not without end, confined as it is by spacetime. And if a thing is not truly infinite, it can be subdivided. And there is a limit to subdivision of a thing beyond which it is no longer that thing.
    'Hence, all things can be brought to a state where they are no longer themselves.'

Stat 1 - SKI +10
    Stat 2 - PRE +10
    Effect: This trait has no actual visible effect in play, aside from the counterattack modifer; rather, it operates on an existential level. [GM dependent] Krys may have momentary flashes of vision showing them the whole of an object or situation in a way that demonstrates a potential path to reducing that object or situation, be it physically, mentally, or socially [Krys may choose one counter per experience level in a round to be a Perfect Counter, causing 100% precision damage rather than 75% due to targeting the perfect point in both the physical body and the attack timing to 'subdivide' the attack]
    Bolded the relevant passage. It's a Counter Trait, the GM advice stuff is bonus and was always discussed as such, to my recollection, when we were discussing the Trait back in character generation.

Have that below. As for what it applies to, it's more about fundamental level things than complexity. How stuff relates to other stuff. Connections between things. I'll take a martial arts example: Krys would look at someone using a specific martial art and not say 'ok, that's the Flying Fish Fingers of Doom martial art, specializing in striking pressure points on the body that make you erupt in boils'. Instead, they might say 'This person is a striker, in the end - a precision one.' Or they might look at a group of arguing people, and say 'I can't follow all of the stuff that's happening in the argument, but THAT guy? The quiet one who only puts a word in once in a while? He's the one egging his side on and really hates the other side.'
    Honestly, this is... a bit difficult for me to quantify. The martial arts example feels like semantics to me rather than a more fundamental truth. The second one is more of an Insight-y thing about them seeing the truth of what is happening here.

Persuasion tests when Krys is being open and honest.
    Krys doesn't seem like the type to lie so this kind feels like it would apply to most Persuasion checks no?

Krys can see things and sense things on a fundamental level. Call it a kind of extra sense that doesn't let them suss out complicated stuff, but certainly gives information on a fundamental level. Wouldn't allow them to look at a big mechanical thing and see 'oh, they have this weapon, this force field, etc'. Nope. But they could look at it and say 'Oh, that's not a robot, it's actually an armored suit'. They couldn't look at the dogs and determine any powers they had, or whatever. But they could look at their fundamental energies and say 'Oh, these are creatures from that hell dimension we passed by an hour ago'. They couldn't look at Nemo and say 'Wow, high level mage', but they could say 'this person has serious worked at increasing their stores of personal energies'. They couldn't look at a force field and say 'okay, there's a specific code that must be inputted through magic, otherwise you get hit with a blast of fire', but they could say 'okay, there's some kind of key. Also, it bites.'

They're seeing down to the fundamental levels of that being/object/whatever, and looking at those energies they can understand something about the makeup of that being. And doing so from all perspectives, thanks to this all happening in Time out of Time.
    See my above comments, kind of tricky to quantify when it triggers or what constitutes the fundamental perspective that you're driving at.

Timeskipping through a second or two, maybe being able to skip over a meter or so of space/time. That kind of thing. Moving in jumps in time and space rather than seeming to do so in a continuous flow - like There Is A Truth In Granularity, but a little bigger.
    That sounds workable, but what does it resolve into from a mechanical standpoint; short range teleport? Functional phasing? Non-standard movement directions? Mechanically what would you like it to accomplish?

Maybe? I can't think of anything off-hand that works for this. The points will lie dormant; maybe sometime I'll come up with something that fits.

With another character, would be easy. ^_^
    Cool, I'll keep noodling in case I think of anything.

Right. Logging off now!

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    No, I'm talking about 'All Things Are Infinite', let me grab your Traits real quick:
    Reading comprehension there, I read too quickly and thought you were talking about Heat Death. Sorry. Brain got on a track and refused to leave said track.

And yeah, GM stuff is purely bonus, never questioning that. Happens when GM says it happens. If at all.

Honestly, this is... a bit difficult for me to quantify. The martial arts example feels like semantics to me rather than a more fundamental truth. The second one is more of an Insight-y thing about them seeing the truth of what is happening here.
    Not quite semantics - one would be full knowledge of the skill, it’s techniques, what sort of strategies practitioners tend to use, etc. actual knowledge. The other is a basic, generic ‘knowing’. ‘Oh, it’s striking. And PRE kind of stuff.’

But whatever, maybe a poor example. ^_^

This sort of thing would be difficult to quantify, as it's operating on a level that our own senses cannot. It's my attempt to create some source of information-gathering that simply cannot be easily understood and quantified, rather than 'this is a specific thing that is easily understandable and quantifiable based on what we comprehend of reality'. <-- exact opposite of the point.

If I can get that or something approximating that, but it's seriously nerfed in application re: the rules, I don't really care. It's less about 'how functional would this be, in-game' and more about 'how can I try to simulate something we - as humans - simply cannot easily grasp'.

Edit: heck, it’s probably easier just to make it an across the board bonus to insight, at a rather largely reduced bonus. I know that would be a very small bonus, but that’s a good way of simulating “sees things at more fundamental level”.

Krys doesn't seem like the type to lie so this kind feels like it would apply to most Persuasion checks no?
    Fair enough, then reduced magnitude. Again, I don't care if it's going to reduce the impact of the skill as long as it fits the character. ^_^

See my above comments, kind of tricky to quantify when it triggers or what constitutes the fundamental perspective that you're driving at.
    Again, same deal. It IS hard to quantify because we don't operate on this level. We couldn't look at a weird blob in the air and say 'Oh, that's actually a 3d 'slice' of a 5th dimensional being reaching into this reality, if I squint I can actually make out part of their body stretching through time'. With this, Krys could.

Basically, again, if it being vague and semi-applicable to a lot of things reduces or nulls most of the impact of this ability in the game, I don't really mind.

That sounds workable, but what does it resolve into from a mechanical standpoint; short range telepo? Functional phasing? Non-standard movement directions? Mechanically what would you like it to accomplish?
    So, planck length and time. At that level, the universe is granular. You cannot move 'through' a unit of planck length. That's the shortest distance possible, so any 'movement' (if we can call it that) at that level would be jumps (for wont of a better term) between connected points. With literally nothing in between them. Similarly planck time. Time - as we understand it - is granular at that level, so the passage of PERCEIVED time (again, assuming we could at that level of reality) is discrete jumps in a very localized way with nothing in between, rather than what appears to US as a continuous, omnipresent flow. <-- really, really not this, but for the purpose of the explanation this will do.

As below, so above - Krys can (impossibly) extrapolate this to their own scale, and effectively move as if there is nothing between THIS space and THAT space (ie, the space/objects/whatever between them is simply ignored, as is the 'distance' of line, I don’t know, a meter?), and can treat a second or two of 'passing time' in a similar fashion, simply skipping the intervening 'period'. This sort of thing would look like the mentioned 'frames missing' from movement and such, only on a larger scale (and doing impossible stuff like 'passing through things' to boot).

So, if none of this *waves hands at all of the above* works, is too strong, whatever, totally cool. Will drop it, or anything that doesn't work. None of it is super-important to the character. ^_^ <-- very serious on this. The entire business of me trying to actually work out these sorts of skills is an exercise in 'Character has been outside the multiverse itself, existing in a fashion beyond all rules and time, and now can, with some effort, grasp a smidge of that, and how does that impact themselves when trapped in space/time?' Character was pretty solid before the skills popped up, they're not really that necessary for Krys. ^_^

And if that's the case, I'll just use the knowledge points on stuff like 'Has Seen Multiverse From Outside And Can Better Talk About Such Things', and so forth. And leave it at that (not very useful, I know, but appropriate!). ^_^
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 03-15-2023 at 02:42 AM.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

So, just spitballing ideas for Skills

1) Jane sheds a fleck of Death Energy from her core and presses it to (target). This channels the energy into the object, resulting in a "death" of it, often in a more metaphorical sense. So, metal would corrode, rock would slowly break apart, a computer program would become corrupted/crash, magic bindings would weaken and be broken apart, etc. This is too small/slow acting to do more than minor damage at a time and as such would not be used in combat. (Manipulation)

2)Creation slots I have no idea on. I guess she could bring forth something like a spirit from her realm of Death, but I don't know what that would be or why. She could use a Communion thing with it, but I don't know why she'd do that instead of:

3) Jane communicates with the spirits around her. What information they give is of course GM dependent and also dependent on the area she's in/the circumstances behind why there would be ghosts in the first place. (Communion)

4) Jane uses enhanced vision modes to see between realms and visualize spiritual energy/spirits more directly, enhancing either her Notice or Insight (since it doesn't look like I can do both like I wanted for my original vision of this ability) (Knowledge)

Actually wait, if we're using a bit of the Social matrix to define boundaries for some of these, maybe Jane could use Creation to like, make/summon some sort of Ghostly Hunting Blind which both enhances stealth of everyone in it while providing enhanced Notice or Insight (2 Creation slots). People would also be able to get a more complete rest in it. Not sure though
    Last edited by Postmania; 03-14-2023 at 10:23 PM.
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

To take an example, let's look at Nemo:

*snip*
    This is very helpful, thanks! But I might want to map out a few different things.

Skills

String Magic: Extend Thread - Component(s): 1 Creation, 1 Manipulation
    Nemo is able to radically elongate and control a string, rope, or thread. This can be used for grabbing and pulling objects or people and assisting in climbing. (String Magic can't create thread, but it can magically lengthen them, but I figure that still falls under Creation.)

Rat Magic: Rat Commander - Component(s): 1 Communion, 1 Manipulation
    Nemo is able to open a mystical link to speak with and command the loyalty of rats. This can also work with mice and hamsters.

Rat Magic: Thread the Labyrinth - Component(s): 1 Communion
    Nemo is able to cast a spell that allows her to easily navigate her way through any maze or labyrinthine structure. A single cast lets her "glance" at a map to figure out the next few optimal steps, while a sustained use will basically give her a mental guideline to follow.

Fire Magic: Torch Wisp Component(s): 1 Creation
    Nemo can create a hovering ball of fire to light up dark spaces.
    -OR-
    Cooking Alchemy: Emergency Hashions Component(s): 1 Creation
    With a Crafter Pot, Nemo can make perfectly edible hashes from any variety of raw, already-cooked, or even spoiled vegetation and meats; the Pot will convert it to a safely consumable foodstuff, but the hashes must involve at least three different ingredients. These are good for basic sustenance, and may restore a miniscule amount of health.

Occult Libarian Component(s): 1 Knowledge
    As an occult librarian turned adventurer, Nemo gains bonuses on Insight checks to do with understanding magic and the occult.

Notes: Not sure if Thread the Labyrinth is too powerful for a cantrip. Torch Wisp and Snow Bunny might be a little redundant, I'm thinking, so Cooking Alchemy might be better. But she'll have to first find something to use as a pot, and need to take some time to properly convert it into a Crafter Pot.

Retired Overlord

Ok, gonna spit out some possible revisions and skills ideas below and see what needs fine tuning.

First of all, "Mundane Mind Technique - Disguise" and "Honed Spirit Tech - Object Database" both operate in nearly the exact same way, Ellas body and anything generated as part of her body are all produced in the same manner so the fact they ended up as separate techs that require ENR when by the same logic Ella having a body at all would be draining the same amount has kinda been a logical hole. But skills make a good alternative to this and I can essentially mold both techs into the umbrella of the one skill.....however with a alternation to how it works, and with the GM blessing of course.

Holoprojector - Solid Light Construct - Components: 1 Creation, 1 Manipulation
    While Ella herself in a Advanced AI in a metal sphere Projector, her "body" is a solid light construct. As such her form is limited only by the bare minimum energy required to generate her image without resulting in power drain. As long as she keeps her form to a similar size as her default appearance she can essential shape it however she pleases. She can disguise herself as objects, form objects as part of her projection and stretch her proportions in a way similar to bending light. Objects created by her must stay within visual range of her projector but can be manipulated at a distance.

How does this sound? If it is permissible I'd also put forth the idea that in any case where she exceeds her size limit you could introduce a ENR Drain penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    So, just spitballing ideas for Skills

1) Jane sheds a fleck of Death Energy from her core and presses it to (target). This channels the energy into the object, resulting in a "death" of it, often in a more metaphorical sense. So, metal would corrode, rock would slowly break apart, a computer program would become corrupted/crash, magic bindings would weaken and be broken apart, etc. This is too small/slow acting to do more than minor damage at a time and as such would not be used in combat. (Manipulation)
    That's a little open-ended in terms of how many things you want to effect. The concept of degrading things is fine but you would need to narrow a bit. Like, you could have "degrades inorganic material," which could cover metal and rock and inert materials. Magical bindings or machines would need to separate skills.

2)Creation slots I have no idea on. I guess she could bring forth something like a spirit from her realm of Death, but I don't know what that would be or why. She could use a Communion thing with it, but I don't know why she'd do that instead of:
    Creation is about making something or introducing a change that could not otherwise be created by manipulation. Maybe she makes a special kind of bullet to allow her to project her senses in a given area by firing it into it perhaps? That would be more Creation and Communion technically.

Maybe... she can create a small drone to operate like a familiar to do recon? Create a rudimentary decoy to allow her to take up sniping positions?

3) Jane communicates with the spirits around her. What information they give is of course GM dependent and also dependent on the area she's in/the circumstances behind why there would be ghosts in the first place. (Communion)
    Sure, that's fine.

4) Jane uses enhanced vision modes to see between realms and visualize spiritual energy/spirits more directly, enhancing either her Notice or Insight (since it doesn't look like I can do both like I wanted for my original vision of this ability) (Knowledge)
    With only one Knowledge Component, you would be limited to one boost. I would say for the base level Notice so it is more "Perceive Invisible Spirits," You will get more Components as you level (it's not a consistent thing, it depends what you choose to level and your stats) but you could enhance this Skill to get both Notice and Insight or spiritual matters.

Actually wait, if we're using a bit of the Social matrix to define boundaries for some of these, maybe Jane could use Creation to like, make/summon some sort of Ghostly Hunting Blind which both enhances stealth of everyone in it while providing enhanced Notice or Insight (2 Creation slots). People would also be able to get a more complete rest in it. Not sure though
    So Creation would work for making a safe hiding place, enhancing a group Stealth Check of sorts. Using the second Creation Component, you wouldn't be amping the other players checks directly, that would be more a Manipulation thing. You could say that the second Creation slot makes like a perimeter alarm system that amps the passive Notice of the group to anyone approaching them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    This is very helpful, thanks! But I might want to map out a few different things.

Skills

String Magic: Extend Thread - Component(s): 1 Creation, 1 Manipulation
    Nemo is able to radically elongate and control a string, rope, or thread. This can be used for grabbing and pulling objects or people and assisting in climbing. (String Magic can't create thread, but it can magically lengthen them, but I figure that still falls under Creation.)

Rat Magic: Rat Commander - Component(s): 1 Communion, 1 Manipulation
    Nemo is able to open a mystical link to speak with and command the loyalty of rats. This can also work with mice and hamsters.

Rat Magic: Thread the Labyrinth - Component(s): 1 Communion
    Nemo is able to cast a spell that allows her to easily navigate her way through any maze or labyrinthine structure. A single cast lets her "glance" at a map to figure out the next few optimal steps, while a sustained use will basically give her a mental guideline to follow.

Fire Magic: Torch Wisp Component(s): 1 Creation
    Nemo can create a hovering ball of fire to light up dark spaces.
    -OR-
    Cooking Alchemy: Emergency Hashions Component(s): 1 Creation
    With a Crafter Pot, Nemo can make perfectly edible hashes from any variety of raw, already-cooked, or even spoiled vegetation and meats; the Pot will convert it to a safely consumable foodstuff, but the hashes must involve at least three different ingredients. These are good for basic sustenance, and may restore a miniscule amount of health.

Occult Libarian Component(s): 1 Knowledge
    As an occult librarian turned adventurer, Nemo gains bonuses on Insight checks to do with understanding magic and the occult.

Notes: Not sure if Thread the Labyrinth is too powerful for a cantrip. Torch Wisp and Snow Bunny might be a little redundant, I'm thinking, so Cooking Alchemy might be better. But she'll have to first find something to use as a pot, and need to take some time to properly convert it into a Crafter Pot.
    Thread of Labyrinth is fine, it will be limited with Check Level and your Magnitude. I would prefer you took Wisp over Cooking Magic just because it's a lot less complex for me to operate.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSandman View Post
    Ok, gonna spit out some possible revisions and skills ideas below and see what needs fine tuning.

First of all, "Mundane Mind Technique - Disguise" and "Honed Spirit Tech - Object Database" both operate in nearly the exact same way, Ellas body and anything generated as part of her body are all produced in the same manner so the fact they ended up as separate techs that require ENR when by the same logic Ella having a body at all would be draining the same amount has kinda been a logical hole. But skills make a good alternative to this and I can essentially mold both techs into the umbrella of the one skill.....however with a alternation to how it works, and with the GM blessing of course.

Holoprojector - Solid Light Construct - Components: 1 Creation, 1 Manipulation
    While Ella herself in a Advanced AI in a metal sphere Projector, her "body" is a solid light construct. As such her form is limited only by the bare minimum energy required to generate her image without resulting in power drain. As long as she keeps her form to a similar size as her default appearance she can essential shape it however she pleases. She can disguise herself as objects, form objects as part of her projection and stretch her proportions in a way similar to bending light. Objects created by her must stay within visual range of her projector but can be manipulated at a distance.

How does this sound? If it is permissible I'd also put forth the idea that in any case where she exceeds her size limit you could introduce a ENR Drain penalty.
    Hmm... my gut would want personally want these to separate skills, if only to make administration a little easier for working out checks and the like.

If you have a Creation Skill for making something exterior to Ella's core body, you may wish to put a Knowledge Component in there to justify her having an object database or similar rather than just copying things she has seen. The functional limits of these objects will be defined by the Magnitude of the invocation.

Manipulation for Disguising self or changing her form. If you note that this assists on Deception Checks when in disguise.

Not quite semantics - one would be full knowledge of the skill, it’s techniques, what sort of strategies practitioners tend to use, etc. actual knowledge. The other is a basic, generic ‘knowing’. ‘Oh, it’s striking. And PRE kind of stuff.’

But whatever, maybe a poor example. ^_^

This sort of thing would be difficult to quantify, as it's operating on a level that our own senses cannot. It's my attempt to create some source of information-gathering that simply cannot be easily understood and quantified, rather than 'this is a specific thing that is easily understandable and quantifiable based on what we comprehend of reality'. <-- exact opposite of the point.

If I can get that or something approximating that, but it's seriously nerfed in application re: the rules, I don't really care. It's less about 'how functional would this be, in-game' and more about 'how can I try to simulate something we - as humans - simply cannot easily grasp'.

Edit: heck, it’s probably easier just to make it an across the board bonus to insight, at a rather largely reduced bonus. I know that would be a very small bonus, but that’s a good way of simulating “sees things at more fundamental level”.
    We could do it that way. Though, I did have the thought of maybe you want to parlay it into a enhanced kind of knowledge of how a enemies are doing in combat? We had that small discussion about "are the dogs in burnout,"

Or, as you loosely mentioned above "what is their primary attack stat," or, to be more useful to Krys the Counter-Puncher; "do they have AoE," kind of things. That's pretty useful and in the spirit of the idea perhaps. Or perhaps you could random insight on a Technique that they have. That sort of thing.

I'm aware you're less concerned with gameplay function so feel free to set limits on the kinds of things you want Krys to intuit.

Fair enough, then reduced magnitude. Again, I don't care if it's going to reduce the impact of the skill as long as it fits the character. ^_^
    Cool, that's approved but with the caveat it's at 50% of Krys' total magnitude to balance the open-ended nature of it.

Again, same deal. It IS hard to quantify because we don't operate on this level. We couldn't look at a weird blob in the air and say 'Oh, that's actually a 3d 'slice' of a 5th dimensional being reaching into this reality, if I squint I can actually make out part of their body stretching through time'. With this, Krys could.

Basically, again, if it being vague and semi-applicable to a lot of things reduces or nulls most of the impact of this ability in the game, I don't really mind.
    See my above comments about practical insights about opponents' stats and/or Techniques. I'm happy to try and be like "when we counter weird shit, Krys will have a unique perspective as to the truth of what is going on," sort of thing as a bit of a gimme.

So, planck length and time. At that level, the universe is granular. You cannot move 'through' a unit of planck length. That's the shortest distance possible, so any 'movement' (if we can call it that) at that level would be jumps (for wont of a better term) between connected points. With literally nothing in between them. Similarly planck time. Time - as we understand it - is granular at that level, so the passage of PERCEIVED time (again, assuming we could at that level of reality) is discrete jumps in a very localized way with nothing in between, rather than what appears to US as a continuous, omnipresent flow. <-- really, really not this, but for the purpose of the explanation this will do.

As below, so above - Krys can (impossibly) extrapolate this to their own scale, and effectively move as if there is nothing between THIS space and THAT space (ie, the space/objects/whatever between them is simply ignored, as is the 'distance' of line, I don’t know, a meter?), and can treat a second or two of 'passing time' in a similar fashion, simply skipping the intervening 'period'. This sort of thing would look like the mentioned 'frames missing' from movement and such, only on a larger scale (and doing impossible stuff like 'passing through things' to boot).

And if that's the case, I'll just use the knowledge points on stuff like 'Has Seen Multiverse From Outside And Can Better Talk About Such Things', and so forth. And leave it at that (not very useful, I know, but appropriate!). ^_^
    I'm happy for Krys to have a very short range teleport/functional walk through a door sort of thing. It will be short range and the Magnitude will vary with distance and/or what they are trying to bypass but otherwise that's grand.

We could do it that way. Though, I did have the thought of maybe you want to parlay it into a enhanced kind of knowledge of how a enemies are doing in combat? We had that small discussion about "are the dogs in burnout,"

Or, as you loosely mentioned above "what is their primary attack stat," or, to be more useful to Krys the Counter-Puncher; "do they have AoE," kind of things. That's pretty useful and in the spirit of the idea perhaps. Or perhaps you could random insight on a Technique that they have. That sort of thing.

I'm aware you're less concerned with gameplay function so feel free to set limits on the kinds of things you want Krys to intuit.
    The use of this for insight into an opponent's fighting style/system as you describe it (ie, what you say could be sussed out) is pretty in keeping with THAT aspect of Krys' character - they're a superlatively skilled person, having been a savant and also absorbing part of Durga's own skill. So sure, that sounds interesting. I'll go with that.

Cool, that's approved but with the caveat it's at 50% of Krys' total magnitude to balance the open-ended nature of it.
    I was actually expecting 1/4 or something. Sounds great!

See my above comments about practical insights about opponents' stats and/or Techniques. I'm happy to try and be like "when we counter weird shit, Krys will have a unique perspective as to the truth of what is going on," sort of thing as a bit of a gimme.
    Regarding this one. If Krys has the 'Insight bonus to determine stuff', what benefit would come from having a special sense to determine opponent capacities as well? Or would that be redundant?

Could they just take that as 'sense that sees basic, fundamental things about beings/objects/situations that could NOT be apparent to normal senses', like ENR levels, magical connections between things, hidden gateways, or something? Or would there be a more in-character way of using a sense that sees quantum connections/energy fluctuations at a fundamental level/stuff beyond the 3rd dimension/potentially into time to a small extent (I'm not talking 'ruining mysteries by postcognition')?

I'm happy for Krys to have a very short range teleport/functional walk through a door sort of thing. It will be short range and the Magnitude will vary with distance and/or what they are trying to bypass but otherwise that's grand.
    That's kind of what it is, yeah. Also applies to things like 'snatch stuff out of people's hands if they're standing in front of Krys', or the whole Batman 'I switched the teacups when you blinked' due to the small shennanigans with 'bypassing the apparent flow of time'.
    Why are we here?

The use of this for insight into an opponent's fighting style/system as you describe it (ie, what you say could be sussed out) is pretty in keeping with THAT aspect of Krys' character - they're a superlatively skilled person, having been a savant and also absorbing part of Durga's own skill. So sure, that sounds interesting. I'll go with that.
    Cool. Since this will be a Magnitude thing, could you give me an idea of what you think Krys would consider like the lowest level knowledge that successful check could get?

Like, some examples;

- Primary Damage Stat (STR/PRE/CHR)
    - Strongest Defensive Option (Dodge/Block/Counter)
    - Character Level
    - Details of random Technique or Traits
    - Indication of HP or ENR capacity. (This might not be a hard number but might be something that scales off of Krys' own perception of themselves - "They have about twice my ENR capacity," or "They have about half my HP," sort of thing. I don't want to demystify too much by having players know exact values.)

And so on.

If you could give me an idea about how would you consider those in terms of like difficulty; what Krys would learn on a basic check, what would require a higher difficulty?

I was actually expecting 1/4 or something. Sounds great!
    With the revised difficulty check scale, points don't go as far so Krys' 22 Magnitude being halved to 11 gets you up one bracket which feels fair for a persistent and open-ended passive.

Regarding this one. If Krys has the 'Insight bonus to determine stuff', what benefit would come from having a special sense to determine opponent capacities as well? Or would that be redundant?

Could they just take that as 'sense that sees basic, fundamental things about beings/objects/situations that could NOT be apparent to normal senses', like ENR levels, magical connections between things, hidden gateways, or something? Or would there be a more in-character way of using a sense that sees quantum connections/energy fluctuations at a fundamental level/stuff beyond the 3rd dimension/potentially into time to a small extent (I'm not talking 'ruining mysteries by postcognition')?
    I'm happy to for them to have a wider spectrum of senses for energy and the like. I'd consider it more like Notice rather than the Insight we've discussed above.

The time stuff... I'm not against it in concept but I'm having a little issue coming up with what that would look like as a use-case. Can you give me an idea of what you mean?

That's kind of what it is, yeah. Also applies to things like 'snatch stuff out of people's hands if they're standing in front of Krys', or the whole Batman 'I switched the teacups when you blinked' due to the small shennanigans with 'bypassing the apparent flow of time'.
    Grand, that's all good. Short range teleport with small Sleight-of-Hand style applications.

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Thread of Labyrinth is fine, it will be limited with Check Level and your Magnitude. I would prefer you took Wisp over Cooking Magic just because it's a lot less complex for me to operate.
    That'll work!

Cool. Since this will be a Magnitude thing, could you give me an idea of what you think Krys would consider like the lowest level knowledge that successful check could get?

Like, some examples;

- Primary Damage Stat (STR/PRE/CHR)
    - Strongest Defensive Option (Dodge/Block/Counter)
    - Character Level
    - Details of random Technique or Traits
    - Indication of HP or ENR capacity. (This might not be a hard number but might be something that scales off of Krys' own perception of themselves - "They have about twice my ENR capacity," or "They have about half my HP," sort of thing. I don't want to demystify too much by having players know exact values.)

And so on.
    That kind of thing sounds good? Even in vague terms? Maybe not all together (obviously not!), but standout things or points of interest, etc?

I don't know the system, I don't know precisely how you're going to measure checks, I don't know what it's going to be compared against - I have less of an idea of how this works. And I don't feel I know what you'd consider to be balanced, which is important. So I'm fine with whatever you decide is reasonable or such - again, you have a better idea than I do with regards to that. The basic flavor of the ability is good for Krys, and I'm happy with whatever it ends up doing.

With the revised difficulty check scale, points don't go as far so Krys' 22 Magnitude being halved to 11 gets you up one bracket which feels fair for a persistent and open-ended passive.
    Fine by me!

I'm happy to for them to have a wider spectrum of senses for energy and the like. I'd consider it more like Notice rather than the Insight we've discussed above.

The time stuff... I'm not against it in concept but I'm having a little issue coming up with what that would look like as a use-case. Can you give me an idea of what you mean?
    Really wouldn't be that useful. I'm sure at some point it might be, but generally speaking it would be more 'having a more broad vision over a couple of seconds either way, forward and back'. Seeing all of that - what was a couple of seconds ago, what is 'now', what 'will be' in a couple of seconds'. Not for combat, not trying to get combat precog or anything - cover that via techniques, thank you very much - but just that.

I mean, 'seeing into time' doesn't mean one can see everything. I can see into space, but I'm somewhat limited with what my vision can actually take in and process (and a lot of that is lies, anyway, but that's a different matter entirely). So being in 'Time out of Time' and being capable of seeing everything in a slightly more 4th dimensional fashion just means an extended timeline being visible, that extension maybe being a couple of seconds in either direction? Don't know.

I have NO idea what good could come of it other than 'someone is reaching for something that will fry them' situations. It's more for the flavor of it. I'm sure it would come up as useful from time to time, but it's not exactly...a constantly useful thing.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 03-15-2023 at 04:56 AM.
    Why are we here?

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    That'll work!
    Cool, please add your skills, Skill points and Magnitude to your profile. You may use these Skills in-game.

That kind of thing sounds good? Even in vague terms? Maybe not all together (obviously not!), but standout things or points of interest, etc?

I don't know the system, I don't know precisely how you're going to measure checks, I don't know what it's going to be compared against - I have less of an idea of how this works. And I don't feel I know what you'd consider to be balanced, which is important. So I'm fine with whatever you decide is reasonable or such - again, you have a better idea than I do with regards to that. The basic flavor of the ability is good for Krys, and I'm happy with whatever it ends up doing.
    So, no preference as to what you'd like to consider the basic stuff for any enemy? You're happy, if you request a check for this Skill, for me to just through you as much as information as I want with my discretion as to what feels most appropriate for Krys to glean?

Really wouldn't be that useful. I'm sure at some point it might be, but generally speaking it would be more 'having a more broad vision over a couple of seconds either way, forward and back'. Seeing all of that - what was a couple of seconds ago, what is 'now', what 'will be' in a couple of seconds'. Not for combat, not trying to get combat precog or anything - cover that via techniques, thank you very much - but just that.

I have NO idea what good could come of it other than 'someone is reaching for something that will fry them' situations. It's more for the flavor of it. I'm sure it would come up as useful from time to time, but it's not exactly...a constantly useful thing.
    Okay, if I use it as a like soft Spider-Sense sort of thing but also a "what happened here recently," sort of thing? That seems somewhat appropriate.

So, no preference as to what you'd like to consider the basic stuff for any enemy? You're happy, if you request a check for this Skill, for me to just through you as much as information as I want with my discretion as to what feels most appropriate for Krys to glean?
    Totally cool. Working with what the GM gives me is always fun.

Okay, if I use it as a like soft Spider-Sense sort of thing but also a "what happened here recently," sort of thing? That seems somewhat appropriate.
    Hm. The latter sounds a little like postcognition, which is not what I was aiming for. 'Recently' being 2 seconds or whatever isn't exactly a lot!

It's more a combination of 'Krys can maybe see weird dimensional stuff, energies, and so forth - not in any clear fashion, but in a fundamental way*, as well as maybe having a 'wider' view of what constitutes 'current time'' <- partly due to the whole dimensional thing, I mean, 4th dimension and so forth.

If that makes sense?

How does this apply in-game? Probably situationally, with the GM just saying 'Okay, you've decided to use this extra sense [Krys would need to burn ENR to push themselves into this state, of course] and you get XYZ info.' Whatever that info is, I'm happy with.

* This would mean less 'It's electrically charged' or 'it's a magical curse' and more 'there's some kind of energy flow here', or 'built up energy' or the like - at a quantum/fundamental level, it's not going to be easy to see what KIND of energy and its actual purpose, etc, any more than looking at an apple's quantum energy pattern (or whatever you want to call it) would tell you 'Apple' unless you've studied the quantum energy pattern of a gazillion apples and could find some kind of commonalities. But you might get 'it's an object, maybe about the size of a fist, maybe organic?' I don't know. Hopefully that makes sense.
    Why are we here?