Page 2 of 207 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast
    Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    This looks really cool and well thought out, Nik. I regret that I simply don't have the freedom of time at the moment to participate further.
    Thank you for the vote of confidence, even if you're not playing, if you see anything that looks wildly exploitable that I have overlooked, please do let me know in the thread. We're very much still in beta at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    It was actually for the number INSIDE the brackets, because I'm not THAT insane, but I rather prefer YOUR idea. For reasons that will become apparent once we get into techniques. ^_^
    Oooh, so effectively a contextual +5 to SPD and BRA, I see, I see. Again, I feel like that might be a little bit weedy and not really matter as much in the long run. I'm kind of amenable to traits being a bit wild as they are slightly outside the conventional stat side of things.

What I have given you actually pays more significant dividends haha.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Oooh, so effectively a contextual +5 to SPD and BRA, I see, I see. Again, I feel like that might be a little bit weedy and not really matter as much in the long run. I'm kind of amenable to traits being a bit wild as they are slightly outside the conventional stat side of things.

What I have given you actually pays more significant dividends haha.
    Which is why I went for it. Didn't think I could modify the absolutes in a formula, but...now guess where I'm going for some of my techniques.

Time Is Illusionary - edit: not called that anymore - will be a technique that applies a further -40 to my RAC number, effectively allowing Krys to counter as many times in a round as they are attacked. Which is kind of nuts, but very compartmentalized and predicated on them being attacked, and doesn't allow 'automatic hits' or anything, soooo...not exactly game breaking, just rule-bending.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 10-04-2022 at 08:18 AM.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Which is why I went for it. Didn't think I could modify the absolutes in a formula, but...now guess where I'm going for some of my techniques.

Time Is Illusionary will be a technique that applies a further -40 to my RAC number, effectively allowing Krys to counter as many times in a round as she is attacked. Which is kind of nuts, but very compartmentalized and predicated on her being attacked, and doesn't allow 'automatic hits' or anything, soooo...not exactly game breaking, just rule-bending.
    This sounds wacky and fun.

I am pointedly underlining the section in the Techniques post pertaining to "Counter Techniques," >_>

This sounds wacky and fun.

I am pointedly underlining the section in the Techniques post pertaining to "Counter Techniques," >_>
    Already included. ^_^

When Krys uses this technique, the denominator in the RAC calculation drops to (40-40 =) zero.

Infinity may be an illusion, but it's one heck of a potent one.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Question - is it possible to have SUSTAINED techniques (or maintained, whatever)?

Ie, can someone buy a technique as an Epic technique that costs Epic to use (ie 75 ENERGY) but grants bonuses equivalent to a Honed technique for a certain amount of time? Or at a cost of 5 per round after the first? Or something like that?
    Why are we here?

Question - is it possible to have SUSTAINED techniques (or maintained, whatever)?

Ie, can someone buy a technique as an Epic technique that costs Epic to use (ie 75 ENERGY) but grants bonuses equivalent to a Honed technique for a certain amount of time? Or at a cost of 5 per round after the first? Or something like that?
    See the Techniques section under "Persistent Techniques,"

Short answer yes, but the costs and rules are different.

Also, added a small section in the combat rubrics about another application for RAC points that you will find relevant.
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 10-04-2022 at 04:44 AM.

See the Techniques section under "Persistent Techniques,"

Short answer yes, but the costs and rules are different.
    Ooo, nice.

Okay, done. Changed my first technique.

I really like this idea; it ties into what I had intended for original Kris, in that despite having perfectly human stats (or, at best, CBPH or so) she can effectively 'react and hit' people moving at superspeed, even at lightspeed. Somehow. They doesn't seem to move any more quickly (sort of), and yet they just defends and counters against anything. Someone moving at mach one? A storm of punches from a lightspeed attacker? No worries. Time and Space are illusions they have transcended.

And this works with this sort of rule system. Infinite counters? No problem, they have it. Just needs to spend the energy.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 10-04-2022 at 08:19 AM.
    Why are we here?

Ooo, nice.

Okay, done. Changed my first technique.

I really like this idea; it ties into what I had intended for Kris, in that despite having perfectly human stats (or, at best, CBPH or so) she can effectively 'react and hit' people moving at superspeed, even at lightspeed. Somehow. She doesn't seem to move any more quickly (sort of), and yet she just defends and counters against anything. Someone moving at mach one? A storm of punches from a lightspeed attacker? No worries. Time and Space are illusions she has transcended.

And this works with this sort of rule system. Infinite counters? No problem, she has it. Just needs to spend the energy.
    This is kind of what I wanted SKI to work as. Have some room in the system for some Karate Kid ****.

Just to point out something; while a RAC buys you the chance to react, if the SPD or the ATK stat of the attack is high enough, she's going to be burning energy to dodge, block or counter and given that she'll have a persistent energy drain from her activate technique, that could get expensive quickly, makes her more vulnerable as she'll lose her ENR buffer and could lead to burnout.

Which would not be a good situation to be in.

So it's very potent but has some hard limits.

This is kind of what I wanted SKI to work as. Have some room in the system for some Karate Kid ****.

Just to point out something; while a RAC buys you the chance to react, if the SPD or the ATK stat of the attack is high enough, she's going to be burning energy to dodge, block or counter and given that she'll have a persistent energy drain from her activate technique, that could get expensive quickly, makes her more vulnerable as she'll lose her ENR buffer and could lead to burnout.

Which would not be a good situation to be in.

So it's very potent but has some hard limits.
    Absolutely.

I don't make zero-weakness characters. Boooorrrring. Completely understand that they're vulnerable to burning out. They are 'mortal' now, so to speak, and can't maintain what they once became.

Also, this doesn't help with someone who sits back and throws Ki-blasts or whatever. Krys needs a different tech for hitting people at range (and if they want to use that as part of 'infinite counters' it becomes ridiculously expensive).
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 10-04-2022 at 08:19 AM.
    Why are we here?

Absolutely.

I don't make zero-weakness characters. Boooorrrring. Completely understand that she's vulnerable to burning out. She's 'mortal' now, so to speak, and can't maintain what she once became.

Also, this doesn't help with someone who sits back and throws Ki-blasts or whatever. She needs a different tech for hitting people at range (and if she wants to use that as part of 'infinite counters' it becomes ridiculously expensive).
    So, thinking about your build, you are going to want to have a lot of BRA and SKI, and barring you putting significant points into SPD, Krys will still have a weakness to simple attacks.

To be clear, in case it informs your design choices. Even with infinite RAC points - if Krys doesn't pass the reaction check she will still get hit regardless.

Reminder of checks for hits:

SPD governs the success of STR attacks.
    > Opponent contests with ATK SPD vs Target's (BRA + SPD)

SKI governs the success of PRE attacks
    > Opponent contests with ATK SKI vs Target's (BRA + SPD + SKI)

BRA governs the success of CHR attacks.
    > Opponent contests with ATK BRA vs Target's (BRA + SKI)
    Krys currently has a lot of SKI, so she's going to be good against PRE and CHR but if you don't want to make her that fast, she's still going to have an issue with SPD attacks.

What she will be able to do though is be an interruption monster, which is very useful, and a -75 on both an oncoming hit and ATK stat makes lives for your fellow players a hell of a lot easier.

NOTE: Have amended interruption to make them a little less wildly good.

So, thinking about your build, you are going to want to have a lot of BRA and SKI, and barring you putting significant points into SPD, Krys will still have a weakness to simple attacks.

To be clear, in case it informs your design choices. Even with infinite RAC points - if Krys doesn't pass the reaction check she will still get hit regardless.

Reminder of checks for hits:

Krys currently has a lot of SKI, so she's going to be good against PRE and CHR but if you don't want to make her that fast, she's still going to have an issue with SPD attacks.
    So, I get that. However, I can do the same with BRA. Check it - if I have 20 points and put 10 into BRA and 10 into Speed, I get +20 on my defence against STR attacks.

However, if I put 20 into BRA only, I STILL get +20 on my defense against STR attacks because...that defence depends equally on SPD and BRA. Done.

Focus on BRA, then. ^_^

What she will be able to do though is be an interruption monster, which is very useful, and a -75 on both an oncoming hit and ATK stat makes lives for your fellow players a hell of a lot easier.

NOTE: Have amended interruption to make them a little less wildly good.
    This is always good. ^_^ I like team play, and having infinite RAC points will absolutely mean I have a cluster of PC's around me, hoping for assistance.

EDIT: also, I am now finding myself saying 'bra' more than I did in highschool, which is pretty hilarious.
    Why are we here?

Some further modification to character and fluff. ^_^
    Why are we here?

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Thank you for the vote of confidence, even if you're not playing, if you see anything that looks wildly exploitable that I have overlooked, please do let me know in the thread. We're very much still in beta at the moment.
    I'll keep going over it. Nothing is as much fun as finding an exploit. :-)
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    I'll keep going over it. Nothing is as much fun as finding an exploit. :-)
    So far the bar is set at 'unlimited reaction actions'.
    Why are we here?