Page 25 of 207 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728293575125 ... LastLast
    The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    ... but the defenders have more options broadly to use incoming ranged attacks to inject chaos into a situation.
    [Krys] Chaos is nothing but a perceptual illusion. What we view as as 'ordered' is no more a valid pattern than what to our eyes seems random.

*new technique spawns*
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

A small update, which more alludes to things rather than confirms anything.

I have been working on how Levelling Up is going to work.

As noted it will be milestone based. In some respects, it's not as dramatic as it could have been. XP is going to be handled quite carefully and you aren't going to be getting massive amounts of it. Stats will change a bit slower than other things but you will get more fun stuff to play with.

As part of levelling up (with some hoops to jump through) Ascendant Techniques will become available to you in time and they are, frankly, absolutely buck wild. This is where the numbers get very large and very powerful.

So if you have crazy stuff you want to do, start thinking about it now because it might well be something you can level towards.

Question, are techniques just for immediate attacks in terms of their stat buffs? I have one that just boosts BRA, but would that boost last throughout the turn, or longer than that turn?
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Archmanifestation of YOLO Noldere's Avatar

Looking forward to it. I am aware that I need to confirm rules for Persistent Healing Techniques as those are something you are considering and they don't currently exist.
    I'll drop both the Persistent Healing and Persistent Damage stuff I was thinking of completely, or at least hold it until Ascendant techniques become relevant/possible.
    This signature intentionally left blank.

Also updated my techniques. I think that fills out what I have for them in terms of amount that I can have.

Since one of them is an ENR restoration technique, and the description mentions that healing only depends on the base stat of PRE, there's not really any reason to make the technique boost PRE while doing it right? I should pick something else?

I also kind of wanted to make the technique keep with my original idea of having a negative side effect in addition to the healing itself for thematicness but I honestly couldn't think of anything that was either too harsh or too meaningless (or just too variable in terms of who would be helped/hurt the most).
    -Stephen McCranie

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    Question, are techniques just for immediate attacks in terms of their stat buffs? I have one that just boosts BRA, but would that boost last throughout the turn, or longer than that turn?
    A regular Technique boost technically lasts until the start of your next turn. So, if you have a defensive shield that isn't a Persistent Technique, you get +40 DUR from the shield as you cast the shield on your turn and it will last until your next one.

If you want a Technique to last for multiple turns, I refer you to Persistent Techniques as outlined here.

Quote Originally Posted by Noldere View Post
    I'll drop both the Persistent Healing and Persistent Damage stuff I was thinking of completely, or at least hold it until Ascendant techniques become relevant/possible.
    Feel free to put it in, gives me motivation to figure stuff out.

Christ, figuring out what Ascendant Persistent Healing would look like... quite insane I would think. 0_o

A regular Technique boost technically lasts until the start of your next turn. So, if you have a defensive shield that isn't a Persistent Technique, you get +40 DUR from the shield as you cast the shield on your turn and it will last until your next one.

If you want a Technique to last for multiple turns, I refer you to Persistent Techniques as outlined here.
    Makes sense. I just have the BRA booster because unlike everyone else I didn't plan out my SKI allotment and now I have 50 SKI so I needed a technique to fill the missing 10 points. So that technique when used would allow me to increase my initiative in the next turn right?

Also when leveling you'd just improve your techniques (not learn new ones) right?

And as mentioned, updated everything with the rest of my profile, should be pretty much done now.
    -Stephen McCranie

Also updated my techniques. I think that fills out what I have for them in terms of amount that I can have.
    You are maxed out on SKI allocation for Techniques. 50 SKI, 1 Mundane (10) and 2 Honed (40) = 50.

Since one of them is an ENR restoration technique, and the description mentions that healing only depends on the base stat of PRE, there's not really any reason to make the technique boost PRE while doing it right? I should pick something else?
    Healing depends on your total PRE stat when the boost goes off so there's every reason to boost PRE.

Heart to Heart [+30 PRE] - Something stirs within Jane, feelings of...concern for others, but from where Jane knows not. Jane's chest splits open and unlike the weaponlike facsimiles she typically uses for her attacks, this one looks exactly like a human heart, pulsing somehow despite it's metallic form. In this time Jane's greenish energy changes instead of an eerie yellow, too bright perhaps, and the energies leave the hearts ventricles and openings, connecting in an unbroken stream like the flow of blood throughout a larger body. The target of the heartflow regains [200] ENR if on an ally or [75] if used on herself. (-25 ENR)
    So, your maths is off. Jane has 60 PRE and the Honed Technique gives her +30 so she would heal for 90 overall. This would resolve to 180 ENR restoration on an ally and 65 on herself (90 ENR - 25 ENR spent on the Technique).

Also, I would ask you to specify whether this is AoE or ranged because it kind of reads as it could be either. Which would then give a penalty on the boost as outlined in the Technique guide.

I also kind of wanted to make the technique keep with my original idea of having a negative side effect in addition to the healing itself for thematicness but I honestly couldn't think of anything that was either too harsh or too meaningless (or just too variable in terms of who would be helped/hurt the most).
    If you want help coming up with stuff, my PMs are open or we can discuss in thread.

Makes sense. I just have the BRA booster because unlike everyone else I didn't plan out my SKI allotment and now I have 50 SKI so I needed a technique to fill the missing 10 points. So that technique when used would allow me to increase my initiative in the next turn right?
    Improving BRA would improve your HIT defence until your next turn begins. It would also help in that turn if you did a CHR attack which uses BRA to determine HIT success.

Initiative order is determined by BRA, I think it's fair to see you could hop further up the action order if you use the Technique. You'd need to repeatedly cast it to maintain that new position though, once your turn starts you lose the boost.

Also when leveling you'd just improve your techniques (not learn new ones) right?
    My current thinking is that people will have the option to get a new Technique (regardless of SKI allocation) and will also have the option to evolve techniques, though choosing the later will lock you out of other very cool choices you could take.

And as mentioned, updated everything with the rest of my profile, should be pretty much done now.
    Good job!

You are maxed out on SKI allocation for Techniques. 50 SKI, 1 Mundane (10) and 2 Honed (40) = 50.
    Yeah that's what I figured, so that's kind of complete then.
    Healing depends on your total PRE stat when the boost goes off so there's every reason to boost PRE.
    Ah, the section describing it said only Base PRE so I assumed that meant unaltered. Definitely boosting PRE then.
    So, your maths is off. Jane has 60 PRE and the Honed Technique gives her +30 so she would heal for 90 overall. This would resolve to 180 ENR restoration on an ally and 65 on herself (90 ENR - 25 ENR spent on the Technique).

Also, I would ask you to specify whether this is AoE or ranged because it kind of reads as it could be either. Which would then give a penalty on the boost as outlined in the Technique guide.
    It's ranged, but not AoE, single target per use. I think the ranged penalty is already applying then with only a +30 instead of +40 (which I forgot to calculate in the final boost I think)?
    If you want help coming up with stuff, my PMs are open or we can discuss in thread.
    At first I thought of trying for a stat debuff, but that goes into the "could have a big implication for one character but not the other" if I use like, STR or something. Unless I just specified that it hits the stat that's designated most or least important somehow? But stat shifting in general feels like it would make work for other players which I'm not sure if people really want either way bc if I hit dedicated stats it could mess with builds and if I hit less dedicated stats, it could make them too vulnerable.

But it could be simplified if I could go with just hitting people's RES or DUR in general as a "power for a price" thing though.

I also thought of a HP loss, but not clear how much or how little makes sense there. Definitely don't think a 1:1 transfer of HP for ENR feels right considering how much ENR gets transferred to them here: way too deadly.
    -Stephen McCranie

Yun, got a question for you about your traits.

Quote Originally Posted by Yun Lao View Post
    Name: Hadron Ohms
    TRAITS

Trait 1) Unfettered Chivalry
    Stats: [20 SKI (DUR +10 / RES +10)]
    Effect: A heart of gold beneath wire and steel. When defending those other than himself, Hadron gains a defensive bonus against the enemy's attack.
    This would need to specified what the bonus is. I would also honestly use this Trait to come up with a more specific mechanical system for how him defending for others works. Does this proc if he uses a RAC for an interrupt or would you like to come with a more unique gameplay system (the latter is really what Traits are for).

You could have something like "Hadron enters a Defensive State and can use a RAC (I'd be somewhat inclined to give him a bonus RAC point for this move specifically as he only has 1 at the moment) to tank damage for any ally who is attacked within 25% of his effective range,"

Trait 2) Laser Danger
    Stats: [20 SKI (STR +10 / PRE +10)]
    Effects: A light shining in the dark. Trained in the difficult arts of laser combat, Hadron is a force to be reckoned with when wielding an energy-based melee weapon.
    Again, what's the gameplay impact on this? Is it that he has a ranged option? Because it says it is a melee weaponry. Please could you give some more information.

Negative Trait -1) Old Wounds
    Stats: [SPD - 15 / AGI - 5]
    Effects: Wounded, but his soul still burns. Damaged from past conflict, Hadron's cybernetic leg occasionally (aka, at the GM's discretion) seizes or glitches out, limiting his speed and mobility until it can be reset.

Movement: 6 Feet
    Basic ATK Actions: 1
    Technique Actions: 2
    Effective Range: 105 Feet
    So this is the big one. Your guy has a speed of 6, he is currently slower than a completely unlevelled character. While I like you giving me the option to seize his leg at my discretion, I'm not sure what the impact of that would really be currently. Does that lower his speed by half? Okay, you've gone from 6 feet of movement to 3, not exactly worldshaking. Does it reduce it to 0? That seems kind of punitive when you're moving so slowly anyway.

I would honestly suggest removing the negative stat components from the Trait and just have it as "when the leg seizes, at GM discretion, he takes -15 SPD, therefore dropping his SPD to 6," That makes the change a lot more impactful, it gives me a good way to mess with you in game and it makes life a little easier for Hadron in the day to day.

Let me know what you think.
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 10-25-2022 at 01:28 AM.

It's ranged, but not AoE, single target per use. I think the ranged penalty is already applying then with only a +30 instead of +40 (which I forgot to calculate in the final boost I think)?
    You are correct, please make a note on the Technique entry that it is ranged, just makes it easier for me to keep track.

At first I thought of trying for a stat debuff, but that goes into the "could have a big implication for one character but not the other" if I use like, STR or something. Unless I just specified that it hits the stat that's designated most or least important somehow? But stat shifting in general feels like it would make work for other players which I'm not sure if people really want either way bc if I hit dedicated stats it could mess with builds and if I hit less dedicated stats, it could make them too vulnerable.

But it could be simplified if I could go with just hitting people's RES or DUR in general as a "power for a price" thing though.

I also thought of a HP loss, but not clear how much or how little makes sense there. Definitely don't think a 1:1 transfer of HP for ENR feels right considering how much ENR gets transferred to them here: way too deadly.
    Well, having to make choices that aren't universally beneficial to all players is part of the game haha. Outside of healing, no buff technique is universally as effective across all allies and builds and that's just part of the game. It is worth remembering that you do know your allies' builds and it's not like you're really looking for an AoE "buff/debuff everyone on the field,"

Also, Jane's CHR is baseline so the benefit or penalty wouldn't be massive. It would be a little helpful or annoying thing to have in action but that could help in certain situations. The most you could get out of a debuff on an absolute mook enemy would -40 (Honed Technique, Melee, +40 CHR) and that's if they have literally 0 RES outside of baseline. If they have like 25 RES, then the debuff drops to like -15. So going for that would not really be playing to her strength.

You could also consider a "get out of dodge," counter technique? Another Honed Counter Technique that boosts her SPD and allows her to take enhanced movement out of a situation to take distance again since she is effectively a sniper.

Nik coming up with extremely dank NPC builds for the players to deal with:

Nik coming up with extremely dank NPC builds for the players to deal with:

How to say 'I'm on Tumblr' without actually saying it.

^_^
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

As part of levelling up (with some hoops to jump through) Ascendant Techniques will become available to you in time and they are, frankly, absolutely buck wild. This is where the numbers get very large and very powerful.

So if you have crazy stuff you want to do, start thinking about it now because it might well be something you can level towards.
    On the subject of this, am now considering how I can make Heat-Death absolutely bonkers. ^_^
    Why are we here?