Page 3 of 207 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast
    Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Some further modification to character and fluff. ^_^
    I put your stats through the combat engine I built to just see how Krys does in a couple of scenarios. Obviously, you've got a bunch of other Techniques to pull together but just some initial impressions.

I would be a little worried about her health and very worried about risk of burnout because her energy score is really not high. If you don't amend her stats; in an actual play scenario, you would want to keep her close to a suitably defensive healer type player who could refresh her energy periodically.

If she goes into burnout, her attack power drops to literally zero. That said, even in burnout, she's still able to hit reaction checks from most mobs and just about on a mid boss-type build I put together, and even sans her Techniques, she has 3 which is a lot. Against a stronger enemy, she instantly dies in burnout because they are fast enough to overcome her massive SKI cleanly, the damage behind it is likely to be a lot more than her 40 HP.

You're playing quite high risk strategy with the character haha. It will be intensely annoying for her opponents but if she gets mobbed for a few rounds without assistance or is in a length battle, she's going to run into very real danger.

So, overall, rather nasty so far, not broken. As GM, I'm still more concerned for the player experience than I am for integrity of the game.

EDIT: Had a comment about your ENR levels, but I had accidentally broken a formula in the spreadsheet that meant your +10 wasn't properly accounted for. Fixed the sheet and have no further comments.
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 10-04-2022 at 08:38 AM.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    I put your stats through the combat engine I built to just see how Krys does in a couple of scenarios. Obviously, you've got a bunch of other Techniques to pull together but just some initial impressions.

I would be a little worried about her health and very worried about risk of burnout because her energy score is really not high. If you don't amend her stats; in an actual play scenario, you would want to keep her close to a suitably defensive healer type player who could refresh her energy periodically.

If she goes into burnout, her attack power drops to literally zero. That said, even in burnout, she's still able to hit reaction checks from most mobs and just about on a mid boss-type build I put together, and even sans her Techniques, she has 3 which is a lot. Against a stronger enemy, she instantly dies in burnout because they are fast enough to overcome her massive SKI cleanly, the damage behind it is likely to be a lot more than her 40 HP.

You're playing quite high risk strategy with the character haha. It will be intensely annoying for her opponents but if she gets mobbed for a few rounds without assistance or is in a length battle, she's going to run into very real danger.

So, overall, rather nasty so far, not broken. As GM, I'm still more concerned for the player experience than I am for integrity of the game.

If I were to make a recommendation, it would be to pull 5 or 10 points out of SKI and put them into ENR, that will make her a bit beefy and make burnout a lot less scary.
    Thank you for the check. It all makes perfect sense, frankly, and mixes well with how I imagine the character.

I tend to play very conservatively when I play non-Tasha (ie, none insane berserker) characters. I'm more likely to run, to try to shade things to my advantage through situational benefits, to plan, to hit-and-git, etc. I'm pretty cool with being a one-trick pony at the moment, because that's what Krys is. Her body is reasonably normal human, and terribly vulnerable to getting smeared if she's not careful (and it makes sense her having crap attack power - no matter how skilled she is, if she's up against superhumans with a normal body she's going to get smeared).

I might swap things around as you say, or I might leave them there and dump experience points on them for growth. Am unsure. WIll consider further after techniques get fiddled with. ^_^
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Thank you for the check. It all makes perfect sense, frankly, and mixes well with how I imagine the character.

I tend to play very conservatively when I play non-Tasha (ie, none insane berserker) characters. I'm more likely to run, to try to shade things to my advantage through situational benefits, to plan, to hit-and-git, etc. I'm pretty cool with being a one-trick pony at the moment, because that's what Krys is. Her body is reasonably normal human, and terribly vulnerable to getting smeared if she's not careful (and it makes sense her having crap attack power - no matter how skilled she is, if she's up against superhumans with a normal body she's going to get smeared).

I might swap things around as you say, or I might leave them there and dump experience points on them for growth. Am unsure. WIll consider further after techniques get fiddled with. ^_^
    As per my edit, my assessment was when you were at 100 less ENR than you actually are. If you could also make sure to add the total ENR value (in this case 220) to the profile, that would be appreciated.

Also, just for ease of use, I can confirm your HP is 40 and your Effective Max Life is 260 so feel free to add those values if you are so inclined.

A Zest 4 KungFu Treachery Darth Drizzle's Avatar

This looks interesting and very well thought out and put together. Once I get a better understanding of things Id like to give this a try if workload permits it
    And with that the rest of the Domino's will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Drizzle View Post
    This looks interesting and very well thought out and put together. Once I get a better understanding of things Id like to give this a try if workload permits it
    You'd be more than welcome. Feel free to submit any questions you might have. We are currently in beta and some gameplay aspects might be tweaked a little ahead of final launch.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    As per my edit, my assessment was when you were at 100 less ENR than you actually are. If you could also make sure to add the total ENR value (in this case 220) to the profile, that would be appreciated.

Also, just for ease of use, I can confirm your HP is 40 and your Effective Max Life is 260 so feel free to add those values if you are so inclined.
    Good to know that adding that ENR was worthwhile and not 'just needs more'. ^_^ I put the 220 next to the ENR stat, and added a place for it up by HP and Effective Max Life as well (so all three of those stats are easily grabbable).

Thanks!

Now just a crap-ton of techniques (or outlooks, perspectives, whatever Krys calls them, they're for sure not 'special techniques that use Ki' or whatever) to work through.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 10-04-2022 at 09:07 AM.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Thanks for the character link, Nik - might I get either a comma or a colon (':' not...the other kind) after the name? And change 'blade' to sword? It's in the name.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 10-04-2022 at 09:17 AM.
    Why are we here?

Thanks for the character link, Nik - might I get either a comma or a colon (':' not...the other kind) after the name? And change 'blade' to sword? It's in the name.
    So edited sir.

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Image is a fan-art of Momo from Breath of Fire III, artist unknown

NEMO and RAE

Age: Nemo is approximately 30, Rae is approximately 3 but is mentally an adult

Races: Nemo is a Lopfoa (rabbit-folk, mostly-human variant), Rae is an Elsy (aka LCE, aka Living Cloth Entity)

Gender/Pronouns: Nemo is female, Rae is female-identifying

Physical Description: Nemo is two meters tall, fit and toned, fair skinned, has long orange-red hair and piercing blue eyes, has lopped white-furred rabbit ears and a white rabbit tail. She sometimes wears a pair of small round reading glasses.

Nemo wears Rae, who consists of a full-cover blue and white fantasy-style frock and shawl, a matching beret, white socks, brown boots, white gloves, and black undergarments.

Here is an simple concept sketch, somewhat outdated, I made of her previous version a few years ago.

Here is a quick little test comic I put together, with a generally more accurate appearance.

Homeworld: The Scribed Lands

The Scribed Lands are a patchwork multiverse of limited planes that cosmologically connect, overlap, and orbit one another like a multi-planar solar system. The reality was forged by the Imaginators, a group of lesser gods that tired of the indecisive whims of their own Creator, and rebelled against him so that they could create their own reality. Each Imaginator was responsible for creating a World, and evetually, they would connect these Worlds via a series of dimensional Rifts.

Bio: Nemo was an occult scholar from the World of Radiance, a high-fantasy plane where sorcerers ruled. Only those who possessed the Spark had the ability to actually use Magic, however, so despite her knowledge on the subject, Nemo was unable to use the power herself. Despite this, she still worked as a Master of Tomes for a high-ranking sorcerer, assisting young mages in their early studies, and helping adventurer's assess and acquire magical Relics.

One day, however, she was visited by a band of traveling heroes from another World, and through a long series of shenanigans, she ended up joining their search for a supremely powerful Relic. Upon coming into contact with the Relic, the group was by several high-sorcerers, who used their powers to banish them all from Radiance, flinging the group all across the various Worlds of the Scribed Lands! Landing in a strange World called Thrae, she Nemo attempted to find a way back home, only to come upon a startling revelation: that she was fictional.

The World of Radiance had been based on a video game, a JRPG called "Radiant Destiny", which existed in one of the Scribed Lands Earth-like Worlds. Her reality, and she herself, had been a simulation of said game, constructed by an Imaginator as a roleplaying session for themselves and some of their mortal friends. Nemo just happened to be caught in the adventure, and was manifested into reality by accident when they were all ejected from the simulation.

Nemo came to grips with this when her inadvertent creator confronted her, and explained her situation. Her Imaginator was happy to accommodate her continued existence. Moreover, the Imaginator had taken enough of a liking to her to grant her a special Blessing: The Ultimate Spark! Normally, the Scribed Land's Magic systems are locked to specific Worlds, and cannot be learned by non-natives. Nemo found she now had the power to learn any Magic from any World, and utilize it in any other!

Thusly Empowered, she was now free to travel the rest of the Scribed Lands as she saw fit, and learn the Magics of its many Worlds! Unfortunately, her new gift still required her to be inside a given World when first acquiring its Magic system, meaning all her knowledge from Radiance was useless, since she never got the chance to synchronize her Spark with its mystical essence.

Even still, her academic nature enabled Nemo to rapidly learn the powers of other Worlds as she traveled through the Scribed Lands. Within just a few years, she is already one of the most versatile Mages across the Worlds.

One such realm she traveled to was the World of Kwyllt, a realm composed of textile landscapes, and inhabited by living stuffed animals and dolls. The natives of this land taught Nemo the power of String Magic, and in the process of mastering the art, one of her Rituals suffused her own clothing with enough String Magic essence to bring it to life. This is how Rae (short for "raiment") was born, and the Living Cloth Entity has been Nemo's faithful, if cheeky, companion ever since!

To Khazan: During their travels, Nemo and Rae had a direct encounter with another Imaginator, who awakened them to true nature of their reality: they were all fictional. For all their attempts to rebel against their Author, the Imaginators, and all the Scribed Lands, still exist only at the whim of their Author, Sharkerbob, who is simply experimenting with yet another haphazardly thrown together Story Project.

What's more, the Scribed Lands is itself a rather clumsily reworked version of a previous project that their Author is attempting to distance himself from. Nemo and Rae previously existed there under other names, in other circumstances.

Neither woman is particularly upset by this knowledge, but it does peak their curiosity. If an Author exists, then surely so do others. Which means that there are surely other worlds, other entire multiverses beyond the Scribed Lands, beyond the rest of Sharkerbob's Multiverse. They can't help but wonder if these other worlds could be reached. Traveling to the vary edges of the Scribed Lands, where reality itself decays into existential flotsam, the two attempt to see if they can reach the borders of Crossover Continuity, where they may access the Greater Multiverse beyond.

An opportunity arises. A strange sensation beckons them to a crack on the horizon of reality. A name, unknown yet familiar, whispers across the veil of dimensions. "Khazan"...

Want: The trip has not exactly gone well. The journey to the center of the Greater Multiverse has torn away at their essence, stripping Nemo of nearly all her Magical powers, and substantially weakening Rae to the point she struggles to be able to move on her own for more than a few minutes. They are beginning to think their relentless wanderlust has maybe gone a little too far this time.

Their ostensible primary goal is to find a means to return to the Scribed Lands, but until that opportunity happens, they're going to take in as much experience as they can. They are aware of Khazan, and Nemo is fascinated by the legendary power of the Rumble. Not that she is power hungry; she genuinely studies Magic for the academic curiosity of it, and the novelty of new experiences. But she and Rae are both aware that for as dangerous as the Scribed Lands could sometimes be, the Imaginators and their Author actually provided some decent safety nets in the form of "Plot Armor". Now, in these lands that exist beyond their Author's absolute authority, they are in truly dangerous territory, and the Rumble may be their surest means of surviving in the Greater Multiverse.

Vitality Block
    Core HP: 115
    Max HP 215

XP: 150

Offensive Block
    STR: 10 BASE + 15 BUILD + 10 TRAIT = 35
    PRE: 10 BASE + 15 BUILD + 10 TRAIT = 35
    CHR: 10 BASE + 0 BUILD + 0 TRAIT = 10

Defensive Block
    DUR: 10 BASE + 10 BUILD + 0 TRAIT + 5 SYNC = 25
    RES: 10 BASE + 5 BUILD + 0 TRAIT + 2 SYNC = 17
    AGI: 10 BASE + 15 BUILD + 0 TRAIT + 5 SYNC = 30

Hit Block
    BRA: 10 BASE + 15 BUILD + TRAIT + 3 SYNC = 28
    SPD: 10 BASE + 15 BUILD + TRAIT + 3 SYNC = 28
    SKI: 10 BASE + 30 BUILD + 10 TRAIT + SYNC = 50

Energy Matrix Block
    ENR: 10 BASE + 30 BUILD + 10 TRAIT + 1 SYNC = 51
    ENR VALUE 510
    Latent ENR: 100
    Mastered ENR: 410
    Stack: 8

Movement and Action Block
    RAC: 2.12 = 2 points
    Movement: 71 feet per round
    ATK Actions: 1
    Technique Actions: 2
    Range: 205 feet
    RUM: 3

Affinity Allocation

Body: 64 - 3 Mundane, 1 Honed, 1 Epic

Spirit: 85 - 4 Mundane, 2 Honed, 1 Epic

Mind: 41 - 2 Mundane, 1 Honed

Free Slots: 9
    Honed: 1 Body, 2 Spirit
    Epic: 1 Body, 1 Spirit
    Last edited by Sharkerbob; 03-14-2023 at 11:47 AM.

TRAITS
    LOP-EL COMBO (STR +10/PRE +10) - Nemo's demihuman strength is reenforced by Rae shifting to brace her efforts, granting extra leverage or fine-tuned control. While wearing Rae, Nemo gains boosts to her strength and precision, as the two work in perfect tandem.

Rae is a separate entity unto herself, capable of independent movement, observation, and speech. She is capable of separating from Nemo to act on her own, but due to losing so much of her own magical power, she has become too weak to do so for more than a few minutes, and cannot do anything particularly strenuous. When separated, Nemo loses the trait bonus, while Rae is reduced to only base stats for everything. As such, the two won't willing separate except under very specific circumstances, especially not in a heavy combat situation.

STRING MAGIC (+10 SKI/+10 ENR) - String Magic is a power that enables tactile telekinetic control over anything that qualifies as a string. They keep a large bundle of string on their person, separate from Rae. Their mastery is flexible and can be used for a wide variety of situations. Rae, however, has been drastically weakened, so Nemo will be doing the heavy lifting. This Trait is tied to the Technique "String Magic Boost" (Honed, Body). See that entry for further details.

TECHNIQUES

BODY
    3 Mundane, 1 Honed, 1 Epic

MUNDANDE
    Sky Magic: Air Jump, +20 SPD, Cost: 10 ENR per turn
    Where once Nemo could fly, her Sky Magic has been reduced to a bare sliver. It's enough, however, to enable her to move in any direction with some extra distance. She can either make one great leap from a solid surface, or can jump, then "kick" off the air in another direction. The total distance for either method is a maximum of 111 feet.

Jackhammer Strike, +20 STR, Cost: 10 ENR
    Although hand-to-hand isn't really her first choice, she has had some training as a kickboxer. Her signature move, learned from her teacher, is the "Jackhammer", a flurry of multiple full-force blows. She can do this move with either fists or feet.
    Combo Techique: Charge

String Magic: Medical Mend, +20 STR, Cost: 10 ENR
    Nemo or Rae can use surgical thread to perfectly suture a persons wounds or repair torn textiles, act as a tourniquette, or secure bandaging. This doesn't really heal, but can mitigate damage from certain status effects, such as staunching the Bleed effect.
    (Maybe recover some HP? Not sure how that should count. I think it would recover up to 22 HP, but realistically, it's more a physical ailment mitigator.)

HONED
    String Magic Boost, Cost 35 ENR, +30 STR (ranged) or +40 AGI or +40 SPD
    Nemo uses strings to apply a brief Boost to one of the following stats: STR, AGI, or SPD for one round. In instances where she chooses to boost STR, these attacks are ranged by default (adds +30 instead of +40) and she can also choose any normal combination of Combo Effects (up to two with appropriate chaining) and apply them to her attack.

This can be used to whip, bash, stab, entangle, or snag/trip an opponent or cluster of opponents, or can be used to parry/slip/block/dodge incoming physical attacks. While Nemo prefers to use this in mid-range, she can use it in melee if forced.
    Combo Techniques: Grapple, Sweep

EPIC
    Totemic Transformation: Jaguar (Persistent), +25 STR/+25 SPD, Cost: 40 ENR + 10 ENR per round
    Nemo transforms into a large jaguar, bolstering her overall physical stats while granting her natural claw and teeth weapons.
    While in this form, she loses access to most of her other moves, but can still use the Air Jump, Jackhammer Strike (Slash), Whisker Aura, or Rae Strike Techniques.
    Defensive Stat Bonuses: Rage (+30 to STR, DUR, and RES, -20 to SKI and BRA), Regenerate (+10 HP for five turns, then +5 for three more)

SPIRIT
    1 Mundane, 3 Honed, 1 Epic (traded 2 mundane for an extra honed, plus 2 mundane body additions to honed spirits)

MUNDANE
    Draw Mana, +20 PRE, Cost: 10 ENR
    Nemo draws upon the possibility energies of the Greater Multiverse to directly recharge her power. However, she has not yet achieved the proper Spark Resonence with said energies, and can only recover a relative sip at a time. She can recover 17 ENR for herself, or 55 ENR for another.

HONED
    Rae Strike, Ranged, +30 PRE, Cost: 25 ENR
    When Nemo performs an attack, Rae can follow up with a secondary Strike for half damage, using a String attack of her own.
    -Offensive Spirit Effect: Follow-Through

Fire Magic: Flame Blasts, Ranged, +30 PRE, Cost: 25 ENR
    Nemo can project fire like a flame-thrower at a target within a short range, or hurl a fireball at a target within medium range.
    -Body Effect: Bleed [Burn] - Any Flame Blast attack has the chance to set the target on fire for persistent damage.

Flesh Magic: Repair, +40 PRE/+10 STR (Halved from 20, mundane body combine), Cost: 25 ENR
    Nemo can use Flesh Magic to repair minor or major wounds, for up to 40 HP at current level. (18 points from PRE (75/4) and 22 points from STR (45/2))
    -Spirit Effect: Efficiency (Control)

EPIC
    Fire Magic: Micro-Nova, +30 PRE (60 - 30 for Range+AoE), +15 STR (mundane body combine), Cost: 75
    An Area-of-Effect, high-yield explosion attack. Nemo forms a large sphere of concentrated plasma, then hurls it at the ground, or an opponent, and it detonates on impact.
    -Body Effects: Rupture [Burn], Crater

MIND
    1 Mundane, 1 Honed

MUNDANE
    Rat Magic: Whisker Aura (Dodge), +20 CHR, Cost: 10 ENR
    The Whisker Aura is a very low-level preternatural awareness of one's immediate surroundings. This enables her to sense something about to come into contact with her body within three feet, allowing her to navigate dark spaces, and giving her a split-second warning to dodge incoming melee attacks, or slow ranged attacks.

HONED
    Snow Magic: Snow Bunny, +40 CHR, Cost: 25 ENR
    Nemo creates a big blast of blinding snow that disorients her opponents, and leaves behind up to three bunny-eared snowmen. In combat, this serves mostly a distraction move, with the initial snow-burst briefly obscuring her location, and leaving behind decoys that a startled opponent might swing at instead of her. At the very least, it can briefly break line-of-site for ranged attackers.
    -Mind Effect: Disinterest (Lose)

In a non-combat scenario, Snow Bunnies can be used for a minor blocking obstacle, a weight to hold down switches, temporary cold storage for something that needs to be refrigerated, a temporary brace to hold something in place, and other such mundane utilities.

SKILLS

Manipulation: (35 STR/10) 3.5 + (ENR 51/10) 5.1 = 8.6 rounded down to 8 = 2 components
    Creation: (35 PRE/10) 3.5 + (ENR 51/10) 5.1 = 8.6 rounded down to 8 = 2 components
    Communion: (10 CHR/10) 1 + (ENR 51/10) 5.1 = 6.1 rounded down to 6 = 2 components
    Knowledge: (28 BRA/10) = (2.8/2) 1.4 + (5- SKI/10) = (5/2) 2.5 = 3.9 rounded down to 3 = 1 component
    Magnitude: 25

String Magic: Extend Thread - Component(s): 1 Creation, 1 Manipulation
    Nemo is able to radically elongate and control a string, rope, or thread. This can be used for grabbing and pulling objects or people and assisting in climbing.

Rat Magic: Rat Commander - Component(s): 1 Communion, 1 Manipulation
    Nemo is able to open a mystical link to speak with and command the loyalty of rats. This can also work with mice and hamsters.

Rat Magic: Thread the Labyrinth - Component(s): 1 Communion
    Nemo is able to cast a spell that allows her to easily navigate her way through any maze or labyrinthine structure. A single cast lets her "glance" at a map to figure out the next few optimal steps, while a sustained use will basically give her a mental guideline to follow.

Fire Magic: Torch Wisp Component(s): 1 Creation
    Nemo can create a hovering ball of fire to light up dark spaces.

Occult Libarian Component(s): 1 Knowledge
    As an occult librarian turned adventurer, Nemo gains bonuses on Insight checks to do with understanding magic and the occult.
    Last edited by Sharkerbob; 03-15-2023 at 05:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    I'm not making a serious entry, I don't think I could keep up with a Rumbles RPG ever again. But you know I like to make characters, so I took it as a challenge. I found all the crunch a little much to follow, so I opted to largely cop-out on the stats. Nonetheless, I'm not sure if this might help you find an exploit in the system, or if I'm just totally borking it. I hope this does see success, though!
    You used an image that I used once for a RPG, cool!

Nik - If I manage to get a handle on your system I might give it a try. It looks like a challenge just to get the character right.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Nik - If I manage to get a handle on your system I might give it a try. It looks like a challenge just to get the character right.
    Not sure what constitutes 'right'. Nobody is going to be without flaws in this kind of system, which is how I like things.

I think the best way to do this kind of thing is 'get concept, try to find numbers/skills/whatever that interpret that concept, asking GM for assistance if need be and realizing that concept will probably not be 'fully-powered' at the start'.

I’m happy trying to help people with this. Nik’s system, but I have some experience with tabletop stuff.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 10-04-2022 at 05:56 PM.
    Why are we here?

I'm stupidly having a beer on a worknight, and find myself wishing Falcon was still around. Would be cool having a Death Avatar (Ashley) show up here to reminisce with Krys.
    Why are we here?

I'm stupidly having a beer on a worknight, and find myself wishing Falcon was still around. Would be cool having a Death Avatar (Ashley) show up here to reminisce with Krys.
    A nice drink and unusual conversation might sufficiently stimulate The Witness's neurons for an evening.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    A nice drink and unusual conversation might sufficiently stimulate The Witness's neurons for an evening.

I live to RP. Or somesuch.
    Why are we here?