Page 4 of 207 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast

That’s more of a set of systems than I expected. Hmmm
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Nik - If I manage to get a handle on your system I might give it a try. It looks like a challenge just to get the character right.
    It's certainly a more intricate and robust system than is normal for board RPGs. If you have have any questions, let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    That’s more of a set of systems than I expected. Hmmm
    And, as noted in Downtown, happy to discuss any ideas or queries you might have.

Right, let's have a look at Sharker.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    THE WITNESS

Age: Appears to be 25, cannot remember how long he has actually existed; several eons, at a minimum

Race: Appears human, but is more or less some kind of solidified wraith
    Noticing a small trend of mysterious cosmic wanderers haha.

Physical Block
    HP: 54
    Effective MAX Life: 1054

STR: 10 (ba) + 0 (bu) + 10 (tr) + 0 (sy) = 20
    AGI: 10 (ba) + 0 (bu) + 0 (tr) + 0 (sy) = 10
    SPD: 10 (ba) + 0 (bu) + 0 (tr) + 0 (sy) = 10
    DUR: 10 (ba) + 0 (bu) + 10 (tr) + 2 (sy) = 22
    RES: 10 (ba) + 0 (bu) + 0 (tr) + 2 (sy) = 12

Mental Block
    BRA: 10 (ba) + 0 (bu) + 0 (tr) + 0 (sy) = 10
    PRE: 10 (ba) + 0 (bu) + 0 (tr) + 0 (sy) = 10
    CHR: 10 (ba) + 0 (bu) + 0 (tr) + 0 (sy) = 10

Esoteric Block
    SKI: 40 base + 60 (bu) + 20 (tr) + 0 (sy) = 120
    ENR: 10 base [100 ENR] + 90 (tr) + 0 (sy) = 1000
    RUM: 3
    RAC: 1.4 therefore 1 active reaction per combat phase
    You are missing your Trait and Sync points. I have added them in and annotated them as underlined, though I have queries about them below. Have updated your HP and RAC scores appropriately.

TRAITS

UNKILLABLE
    Stat 1 - SKI 100
    Stat 2 - DUR 10
    Effect: Things that should kill him just plain don't. It's hard to say he's actually "invincible" as such; he can clearly take damage, it's just that the next moment, he's back to fully intact, as if the damage either didn't happen, or was simply brush off his sleeve like some dust. It's an almost Toon Force level of durability. Unfortunately, this won't save him from simply being tied up, thrown down a hole, thrown over the horizon or into space, locked in a room, sat on, etc. All things considered, he's pretty easy for most people to take out of a fight. He's just not going to stay down if you don't find a way to restrain or remove him. (I'm not sure how actually doable this would be, or how it would reflect in the stats. I find the system more complicated than I'm used to.)
    SKI from a Trait would be +10 not +100 haha, though you don't seem to have added that amount to the build...

Oh... is this because you assumed because SKI is already at 100 it can't go further? Right, no. BASE + BUILD cannot go 100. TRAIT and SYNC points aren't limited by the cap so you could, as Sharp does with Krys, use your traits to go beyond 100 SKI if you want.

So, I'll update the stat block with the figures as they should be (including +10 SKI). You've also not allocated the +10 or persistent +5 that a Trait allows you to have in terms of a gameplay effect.

In terms of execution. We can kind of put this into the system, albeit it will have limits. Witness has a ton of energy which makes him extremely difficult to hurt because you can't get at his HP easily at all. From a gameplay perspective, RES is notionally the stat that would best represent that and maybe give him a damage mitigation Trait.

Alternatively, because he's got such an absolute ton of ENR which effectively works as a damage buffer, you could lean into that and have a ENR regen Trait for +5 restored per combat phase, or even two of them for a total +10? We shall discuss.

NEVER TIRING
    Stat 1 - SKI 100
    Stat 2 - STR 10
    Effect: He doesn't need food, rest, water, air, mana, or anything to sustain his existence. He is always awake, always fully energized, always
    Again, same issue with SKI as noted. See my notes about this not having a gameplay impact in terms of stats yet.

Techniques
    BASIC COMBAT SKILLS (10 STR + 10 BRA)
    He can fight if he's pushed into it. Sure, he wants to die, but at this point, he's long past wasting his time on pointless fights with random people. He'll defend himself if only to not get captured and locked up somewhere, or in the rare times he feels like defending someone. Occasionally, when he's in one of his more morose moods, he might feel like provoking someone to attack him, just see if this time, a random bullet or fist or sword might actually do him in. Or he'll fight someone just for something to do that day.

Anyway, he's good enough he can reasonably defeat most "normal" people one on one, could probably take several people at once like a movie-level martial arts hero, but in reality, once he starts facing more than a handful of very skilled fighters, or any superhuman, sorcerer, chi-enhanced warrior, cyborg, etc., he's pretty outgunned. It'd take him a whole lot of effort to actually beat a T-800 in a fist fight.

RARE KNOWLEDGE (10 DUR + 10 BRA)
    Old as he is, as much as he's forgotten, he still remembers more than a whole university of scholars put together at any given time, even if it takes him a while to sift through his memories to recall something. There's a chance that if it exists out there in the present-day Multiverse, he's likely heard of it, and is likely to know where to look for more knowledge, even if he himself lacks it.
    Okay, couple of issues here. I feel like you might have conflated Traits and Techniques in your mid.

1) You've select two Mundane Techniques, which would allocate a mere 20 of your 120 SKI points. So you can have way more if you want.

2) Given that you have an absolute ton of energy and SKI, you could have much more elaborate and powerful techniques. If your whole concept is low ATK power and ridiculous DEF, you could look into like Epic defensive buffs or something. Perhaps a persistent technique that buffs RES and DUR? Please see the Techniques Guide for more information.

3) Since he's not meant to be a combat guy per say, you might wish to look at Status Effects and Debuffs. It's quite easy to get them to work with a low stat investment and would help give him utility outside of damage dealing.

4) Not all Techniques have to be combat-centric. You could come up with like... I don't know, hacking, stealth moves, teleportation or other esoteric things. Might be worth considering.

5) Also, because he has so much ENR and is therefore hard to put down, I would strongly recommend giving him an ENR restoration technique because that would a) keep him in the fight more and b) allow him to share that prodigious ENR with the rest of the team. He becomes a big battery which is /very/ useful.

In terms of running him through the combat engine, to look at his viability, he's mostly fine against mooks, his effective healthbar is so big that their hits really don't matter and it's such a low relative cost for him to dodge or soak, that really doesn't need to worry unless he gets absolutely mobbed.

Against a stronger enemy, he loses the ability to react to stuff, because his SPD and BRA are both basic, so he's going to be soaking hits a lot but again that big lifebar makes that less threatening. He rapidly becomes irrelevant in terms of damage dealing but that is by design.

On the whole, interesting concept. Kind of antithetical to what Sharp is doing haha. Also, added The Witness to the cast list.
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 10-05-2022 at 03:29 AM.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Question, here.

On a counter, it 100% has to be a completely normal str attack? Can't do a precision one? I know we can use techniques, so there's that.

How about paying ENR to do a precision attack (like 5 per/precision counter, or 2 per or something)?
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Question, here.

On a counter, it 100% has to be a completely normal str attack? Can't do a precision one? I know we can use techniques, so there's that.

How about paying ENR to do a precision attack (like 5 per/precision counter, or 2 per or something)?
    That limitation of holding it to STR only currently exists to balance Counter as an option. Because SKI governs counter and has attack synergy with PRE, SKI/PRE builds are not only much more likely to get Counters but also less likely to not even have to pay ENR to do so. Allowing a single build type to have access to their highest possible damage for free on Reaction is a bit unbalanced.

As you say, you can use Techniques to get that but that incurs ENR spend even if your Reaction is positive and, because it's a counter technique, that allocates SKI points that removes them from a more flexible at will Technique.

You will get a new Trait, likely through levelling up, and I would be more amenable to broaching this kind of ability with a Trait (possibly in the manner you have outlined above), as Traits are intended to be the "unique mechanics," section of the character build. If you're keen to have it now, then you could change one of your existing Traits and we can discuss.
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 10-05-2022 at 04:33 AM.

Oh, we can get more traits? Interesting.

I'll manage with a counter technique, then, and pay a crap-ton more ENR for it at the moment (due to keeping my own technique up and running, if need be).
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Oh, we can get more traits? Interesting.
    To explain my thought process, I haven't decided if these will be a feature of flat levelling or if they will be tied to Rumble Points - which is the ancient monstrous power that your characters are all drawn to.

Rumble Points, under my current mindset, will be GM allocated so this maybe a separate system.

But yes, you will get some more Traits at some point. To allow for more wacky and unconventional stuff that can pull at the system integrity a little.

Added some more information on Debuff Techniques which I flatly forgot to include which makes them a bit more attractive.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    To explain my thought process, I haven't decided if these will be a feature of flat levelling or if they will be tied to Rumble Points - which is the ancient monstrous power that your characters are all drawn to.

Rumble Points, under my current mindset, will be GM allocated so this maybe a separate system.

But yes, you will get some more Traits at some point. To allow for more wacky and unconventional stuff that can pull at the system integrity a little.
    Got it.

Right now I guess I'm investing some SKI in techniques that will become pointless later, just to give myself a little usage now. Will consider if this is a good idea or not.
    Why are we here?

Got it.

Right now I guess I'm investing some SKI in techniques that will become pointless later, just to give myself a little usage now. Will consider if this is a good idea or not.
    In an actual play situation, I would strongly consider Technique by-backs or some kind of Technique evolution. Like a Mundane can become a Honed can become Epic and so forth. The limitation would be that... say you have to retain at least one stat type between levels so you are forced to either amp or diversify.

Like:

Mundane Tech STR +20 -> Honed Tech STR +20, PRE +20 -> Epic Tech PRE +30, BRA +30

vs

Mundane Tech STR +20 -> Honed Tech STR +40 -> Epic Tech STR +60

Something like that. Would need to figure out costs as well.

I also loosely have the idea for an Ascended Technique, wherein an Epic Technique could be levelled up even further but it would come at the permanent cost of a Rumble Point, as well as SKI allocation... and maybe you could either Ascend a Technique or have a new Trait.

Still feeling that one out in my mind.
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 10-05-2022 at 04:53 AM.

In an actual play situation, I would strongly consider Technique by-backs or some kind of Technique evolution. Like a Mundane can become a Honed can become Epic and so forth.

Would need to figure out costs tho.
    Would be handy. If I can eventually switch to precision strikes on a counterattack, I would like to alter my counterattack technique to be a precision damage tech rather than strength.

Which...kind of makes sense. It's just hitting precision points.
    Why are we here?

Would be handy. If I can eventually switch to precision strikes on a counterattack, I would like to alter my counterattack technique to be a precision damage tech rather than strength.

Which...kind of makes sense. It's just hitting precision points.
    You may wish to see my edit which expands on a few more things that may influence your decision making.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Got it.

It's always going to be "sub-optimal" not to min-max, but part of the fun of RPGing is some of the sub-optimals you have to deal with. When I had the time and energy and friend groups to RP, the most fun characters I had were always the ones with things like that: something I spent on that did a little early but which were quickly made obsolete with character growth, or which just weren't that useful outside of an odd joke moment.

The best one that I recall wasn't even mine: some friends and I were playing a GURPS supers game. GURPS supers had a power called Vacuum Support for 40 character points that made your character immune to the rigors of deep space - you could resist the energy, lack of atmosphere, etc. effectively harmlessly. Thing is, it was a large chunk of points for something that wasn't all that useful, given the Earth-based, land-based campaign. But it fit the player's description of his character, who was an alien exploration probe android who was lost on Earth, so he paid the points for something that was basically only there for the RP aspect.

We wound up fighting a bad guy who had this suction attack - he had a machine that looked somewhat like a canister vacuum (the GM's description), and it would suck the health straight out of you. It was basically a one-shot machine - the GM was harsh that way, and there were many rerolls to rejoin the fray in this world. The enemy critted my friend's PC, which should have killed him, but my friend announced "ah, but I have Vacuum Support!" The GM laughed and allowed that as an effective defense, we defeated the foe with the oddest tank ever. He basically paid 40 character points to defeat that one opponent. Good times.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    It's always going to be "sub-optimal" not to min-max, but part of the fun of RPGing is some of the sub-optimals you have to deal with. When I had the time and energy and friend groups to RP, the most fun characters I had were always the ones with things like that: something I spent on that did a little early but which were quickly made obsolete with character growth, or which just weren't that useful outside of an odd joke moment.

The best one that I recall wasn't even mine: some friends and I were playing a GURPS supers game. GURPS supers had a power called Vacuum Support for 40 character points that made your character immune to the rigors of deep space - you could resist the energy, lack of atmosphere, etc. effectively harmlessly. Thing is, it was a large chunk of points for something that wasn't all that useful, given the Earth-based, land-based campaign. But it fit the player's description of his character, who was an alien exploration probe android who was lost on Earth, so he paid the points for something that was basically only there for the RP aspect.

We wound up fighting a bad guy who had this suction attack - he had a machine that looked somewhat like a canister vacuum (the GM's description), and it would suck the health straight out of you. It was basically a one-shot machine - the GM was harsh that way, and there were many rerolls to rejoin the fray in this world. The enemy critted my friend's PC, which should have killed him, but my friend announced "ah, but I have Vacuum Support!" The GM laughed and allowed that as an effective defense, we defeated the foe with the oddest tank ever. He basically paid 40 character points to defeat that one opponent. Good times.
    Absolutely. Also good story.

I'm perfectly willing to pay points for stuff that is 'useless' but that fits the character. Or, as you say, sub-optimal but fits the character. And yes, sometimes the surprise is that it actually becomes applicable.

Some min-maxing, for me, is fine. People do that in real life! How many people put their time into sixty different things? Or do they pick a couple of hobbies and their job? And these are people in a normal life, who aren't on a daily basis involved in fighting for their lives or whatever. If one considers a person who grows up surviving in a dangerous world, who puts themselves in danger, and it makes sense that the people who live through that are the ones who decided to focus on their strengths. And it's nice to have a character who is competent (though I've played any number of incompetent characters...).

But Power-gamed, perfect characters who have covered every weakness and built towards nothing but 'being the most powerful' are dull. For everyone.
    Why are we here?

You may wish to see my edit which expands on a few more things that may influence your decision making.
    Understood.

Also...

*checks edit in techniques*

Dammit!
    Why are we here?

Noticing a small trend of mysterious cosmic wanderers haha.
    To explain, my character is my Codex character, who left the game by stepping outside the cycle of existence.

So her being a mysterious weirdo is based on that. ^_^
    Why are we here?