Page 63 of 207 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465666773113163 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    ...I'm guessing that our two characters might not get along. ^_^

I don't mean 'will fight' (because Krys A - doesn't want to fight and B - doesn't want to DIE), but may not be on the best of terms. ^_^
    I think it largely depends on her opinion of what is, essentially, a literal entropy machine. If she doesn't routinely obliterate an object by consuming it, she'll die after all.

This is independent of her actually eating food, as well.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Hmm, I think Jane's good with entropy on her side of things.
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    I think it largely depends on her opinion of what is, essentially, a literal entropy machine. If she doesn't routinely obliterate an object by consuming it, she'll die after all.

This is independent of her actually eating food, as well.
    Entropy is a part of reality, especially the reality within which Krys currently functions; 'Heat-Death is but a single slice of what is', but it's still a slice. She'll have zero issues with that kind of thing.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    Hmm, I think Jane's good with entropy on her side of things.
    Entropy is a part of reality, especially the reality within which Krys currently functions; 'Heat-Death is but a single slice of what is', but it's still a slice. She'll have zero issues with that kind of thing.
    Ah then the final hurdle is probably that she was driven by hunger to kill and eat her friends.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Well, more to it than just the hunger (like LOTS AND LOTS of abuse/experimentation).

But ya know. Bottom line and all.

Arx Inosaan

Ah then the final hurdle is probably that she was driven by hunger to kill and eat her friends.
    Well, more to it than just the hunger (like LOTS AND LOTS of abuse/experimentation).

But ya know. Bottom line and all.
    Past is past. Or, that's how it is in this little slice of What Is. Krys cares little about that, aside from understanding the people around her.

It more about 'how do the personalities smash into each other?' that will determine whether they can get along. ^_^
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

I'm not sure Jane would know other character's backstories. I think Jane would understand outside pressure though if she did. Maybe. Or maybe I decide she wouldn't for certain things, because that would be more fun .
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    That will shift some things around for both your Affinity and your HP.

Can you give me the breakdown of these stats (BASE + BUILD + TRAIT + SYNC) so I can check your maths?
    Cthulhu, just flagging this for your attention. Don't want it to get lost.

Cthulhu, just flagging this for your attention. Don't want it to get lost.
    Oh yea, I saw. Mainly waiting til after work so I can crunch it properly. It does look like some things have changed as far as sync and the like

Arx Inosaan

Oh yea, I saw. Mainly waiting til after work so I can crunch it properly. It does look like some things have changed as far as sync and the like
    Grand, looking forward to seeing how she's changed.

Grand, looking forward to seeing how she's changed.
    For the worse, I assure you!

Arx Inosaan

Some small updates.

Uncanny Dodge was a bit too powerful, so I have amended it to the following:

Uncanny Dodge: When attacked while under this condition, if the target fails a Dodge check then they can add the required points to make it a Perfect Dodge from the stat boost provided to them. This subtracts from the overall boost and will drop further on subsequent attacks.

Example:

Kinu activates a Honed Body Technique that also grants her Uncanny Dodge. This means that her AGI stat has an additional +40 to use on Dodge checks.

She is attacked for 75 ATK Power, passes her HIT check [burning 1 RAC point] and opts to Dodge. With her natural stat of 51 AGI, she would be 24 points short of Perfectly Dodging and would, under normal circumstances, burn that number in Latent ENR to complete her Dodge.

However, with Uncanny Dodge, she can burn 24 points of the stat boost to pass the check, preserving her Latent ENR. After doing so, she has 16 points of boost remaining for further dodge checks.

She is then attacked again for 75 ATK Power, she Dodges again. This time she can only offset 16 points before the stat boost is spent so she still takes 8 Latent ENR damage and the effect is now over.
    Also tweaked some values on Bone Breaking and added how healing a broken bone works:

Greater Effect - Bone Breaking (ATK STR vs (DUR + RES/2)
    An attack that seeks to cripple the opponent. If the attack is successful a bone is broken and will do one (1) of the following effects at the decision of the player, until the end of the encounter or until a recovery Technique is used on the target. Once on of these has been applied, it cannot be applied again, another effect must be chosen if additional Bone Breaking Techniques are used.

- Reduce Movement Value by 75% - ineffective if the target has a flight or teleportation ability.
    - Reduce Basic ATK damage on Body or Spirit Affinity by 60% - does not effect Technique attacks.
    - Reduce AGI stat by -30
    - Reduce SPD stat by -30
    - Reduce SKI stat by -30
    - Reduce total Mastered ENR capacity by 75, removing this amount from the target's current resources.

While the numerical damage may be healed from the break with one healing Technique, three healing Techniques are required to fully heal from a break. Each heal will reduce the stat or mechanical impact on the target by 1/3rd. Narratively, the break will not be healed until the stat deficit is reduced completely.
    I am aiming to nail down Dual Affinity Techniques today so will update when that's done.

Okay, I like that Uncanny dodge boost. It's a status effect that actively turns the bonus into a double jeopardy bonus, but eats away at it at the same time, providing limited protection. It basically turns whatever bonus you have into ablative damage resistance, allowing the bonus to be consumed rather than suffering ENR damage.

Good stuff.

Bone-breaking is getting into an interesting systemic area with the kind of damage we take. It's basically status effect debilitation. Which is fine, though I would name it 'Debilitation' and say that with regards to the fluff, this effect is due to massive, lingering damge on the target coming from whatever reason - magical curse effect on the hit, broken bones, torn connective tissues, vicious burns from a fire effect, corrosion from generated acids, hits that attack vital organs directly due to penetrating Ki, whatever. I get that it's linked to STR, but in a system like this (with numerical effects to which are attached specific fluff to explain them, player's choice on that), it might be better to have a more generic name. <-- this is more a fluff/developmental thought, not a general criticism of the actual status effect.

I do like it, and it opens up techniques further for people to HAVE 'flaming whatever strikes' or 'vomits acid on person' or 'hex punches' or 'Hell Dragon Styles' that cause lingering, debilitating damage to someone that impairs their ability to fight/move. Or broken bones. ^_^
    Why are we here?

Bone-breaking is getting into an interesting systemic area with the kind of damage we take. It's basically status effect debilitation. Which is fine, though I would name it 'Debilitation' and say that with regards to the fluff, this effect is due to massive, lingering damge on the target coming from whatever reason - magical curse effect on the hit, broken bones, torn connective tissues, vicious burns from a fire effect, corrosion from generated acids, hits that attack vital organs directly due to penetrating Ki, whatever. I get that it's linked to STR, but in a system like this (with numerical effects to which are attached specific fluff to explain them, player's choice on that), it might be better to have a more generic name. <-- this is more a fluff/developmental thought, not a general criticism of the actual status effect.

I do like it, and it opens up techniques further for people to HAVE 'flaming whatever strikes' or 'vomits acid on person' or 'hex punches' or 'Hell Dragon Styles' that cause lingering, debilitating damage to someone that impairs their ability to fight/move. Or broken bones. ^_^
    A good point. I'll add what I have for the Bleed table of effects to make things clearer. Bleed is described in terms of bleeding but can be applied to any suitable effect.

I might go with Str versus Dur + Res, no /2, mind. If someone is buying Bone Breaking, they're probably STR Based, and as it's a greater technique it's going to have a really, really high STR bonus as well. Which leads to...basically it always busting bones on a hit.

If we go with DUR + RES straight, there's a chance tough people can just resist it (not exactly a GREAT chance, given the +60 STR bonus), and if they use a technique, they'll be able to resist (which is as it should be). Weaker people still get busted regardless unless they have some godawfully strong RES or DUR technique (which is also as it should be).
    Why are we here?